What is a good excursion for alaska cruise?

Goofy033

Yukon discovery tour in Skagway by Mini Bus is the way to go you get to stop when you see animals shop w stop at various towns eat lunch shop and at Carcross see this desert right in the middle of town amazing. don't do the train it just go up and down mini bus is much better.

there are a hundred+++ excursions to choose from . Have you looked over your shore excursion list? Essential you do, then narrow down your interests.

I was going to say the same thing. You need to look at what is offered and decide the kind of things you're interested in doing. For us, panning for gold or the train rides weren't really things that interested us. Not that they're not good, just not what we wanted to do in Alaska. The helicopter trips there are amazing, so we picked that. Some people love the dogsled trips, and while it seems neat, it just wasn't something we wanted to spend the money on.

You need to come up with some possible things you want, and then look on the Alaska board. Plenty of people, myself included, have done reviews. My review is in my signature and I talked about all of our excursions.

Also, be prepared for sticker shock. We found the excursions in Alaska so expensive.

FWIW, we booked only 1 excursion--a kayaking tour at Lake Mendenhall since my spouse is an avid kayaker. For the rest of the ports, we did self-guided walking tours and hiked in the surrounding area. Great natural beauty at no cost.

I want to goon a fun. Excursion any suggestions?

We booked Glacier Point Wilderness Safari through Skagway Shore Tours. It was one of the best excursions we've ever taken. We took a boat to a meadow, where we took a rickety school bus to an area where we changed into waterproof outerwear. We then walked to power-operated canoes. Our guide taught us so much about the area as we made our way to Davidson Glacier. We walked a little way and were then standing on the glacier. It was surreal. We reversed direction and enjoyed a picnic lunch in the meadow overlooking Davidson Glacier.

Funny story - when we disembarked, we walked around the port looking for someone holding a sign with our tour name. We saw no one. My husband approached a woman holding a Carnival Glacier Point Wilderness Safari sign. My husband asked her if she new anything about the private tour with the same name. She flipped a paper on her clipboard and asked our names. She checked us off and directed us where to wait. We were on the exact same tour with people who booked through Carnival yet we paid significantly less than they did.

We took a Duck Tour in Ketchikan. It was a hoot. Our guide was a young man who worked as a substitute teacher during the school year and a tour guide during the summer. He was entertaining and so informative.

IN Skagway we LOVED the Laughton Glacier Hike. Is an all day excursion and you get a short train ride at beginning and end. You get dropped off and then hike a few miles to the glacier. dress in layers as it gets quite chilly when you are on the glacier. Not for those who have mobility issues or difficulty walking on uneven, rocky terrain.

This is one excursion I will repeat when going to Alaska again.

Either a glacier helicopter landing probably in Juneau or a float plane in Ketchikan (We highly recommend Michelle with Island Wings.) or both. The views are unbelievable. You don't appreciate a glacier until you see it up close.

White Pass Train is awesome. Took in 2015 all the way to the Canada boarder. Went in September so had snow. It was beautiful.

Also went to a Mushers Camp for dog sledding. It was awesome. Got to see the sled dogs and the puppies. Then went out on a ride. Now that was fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I did a bear watching excursion. Took a beautiful small plane ride and then got to see the bears in their natural habitat eating away at the salmon in the stream and walking around. It was crazy cool. Up close and personal meaning like 20 ft away.

IN Skagway we LOVED the Laughton Glacier Hike. Is an all day excursion and you get a short train ride at beginning and end. You get dropped off and then hike a few miles to the glacier. dress in layers as it gets quite chilly when you are on the glacier. Not for those who have mobility issues or difficulty walking on uneven, rocky terrain.

This is one excursion I will repeat when going to Alaska again.

We leave for our Alaskan cruise in 64 days and this is the excursion my husband and I are most looking forward to. :D

Thank everyone 😍 we are going the very last trip in Sept before the legend goes to Hawaii. I have a bad back so I really don't know what to pick. I can walk pretty good know. Do you think the Laughton glacier hike would work for me.