Ahhh, no formal night on Quantum

jp30338

It looks like ALL the dining venues are not formal required, is that correct. Will there be formal nights on the ship, or can we leave the stuffy suits at home!?

by jp 11:49 AM

Comment (2)↑ 0

View Previous Comments2 of 2 Comments

• cab71ef1-fa40-46ea-8e0b-f42a3e8bbc85.jpg
    Colleen, Cruise Critic...Hi JP. There is no formal night. But there is a formal restaurant: The Grande. If you want to go formal, go to The Grande. Otherwise, leave your fancy duds at home.
    11:49 AM

• default.png
    jpAwesome, thanks!
    11:51 AM

Hope this happens fleetwide in the future!

It looks like ALL the dining venues are not formal required, is that correct. Will there be formal nights on the ship, or can we leave the stuffy suits at home!?

by jp 11:49 AM

Comment (2)↑ 0

View Previous Comments2 of 2 Comments

• cab71ef1-fa40-46ea-8e0b-f42a3e8bbc85.jpg
    Colleen, Cruise Critic...Hi JP. There is no formal night. But there is a formal restaurant: The Grande. If you want to go formal, go to The Grande. Otherwise, leave your fancy duds at home.
    11:49 AM
  • default.png
    jpAwesome, thanks!
    11:51 AM

Hope this happens fleetwide in the future!

You only need formal clothes if you want to go to Grande.

Once Oasis goes to Dynamic Dining the same will apply there. If it works out and passengers like it I would bet it will be rolled out fleet wide. Not sure if I like it or not. Will have to experience it first to decide!

Do you think they will enforce the dress code? I would hope they would. Otherwise, the concept of a formal restaurant is meaningless.

Just a guess, but I think they will try to enforce it initially, and gradually let it go.

Once Oasis goes to Dynamic Dining the same will apply there. If it works out and passengers like it I would bet it will be rolled out fleet wide. Not sure if I like it or not. Will have to experience it first to decide!

I doubt that it will be rolled out Fleet Wide as is being done and planned for on the mega ships. The smaller craft are just not able to accommodate some aspects of it due to their current design, layout and space restrictions.

I have had discussions with HDs and other senior staff about it and they feel the same. Now that doesn't mean that RCI will not apply some form of Dynamic Dining where they can.

IIRC it is only really "semi-formal" to start with anyway so I think it will be a quick slide to where what you want.

I've heard the definition of formal on Quantum in Grande differs from the definition on other ships on formal nights. Have you any information on this?

Here is what I am curious about. I saw in the Q& A with Adam Goldstein that there is no formal night and no Captain's Reception but what happens if you are invited to the Captain's table and you did not plan on wearing formal attire on-board, or will there even be a Captain's table with the new DD set-up?

From RCL Cruise Planner:

Overview

The Grande Restaurant is a luxuriant nod to a bygone era. When dining was not a task, but a time-honored ritual. When you dressed for a date with an unforgettable dish. At The Grande, every night is formal night, and every night is a special occasion.

From Beef Wellington to Chicken a l'Orange, Roasted Scallops to Sole Almondine, the world's favorite classic dishes come together in pure opulence at this most elegant restaurant.

What to Wear

• Cocktail dresses, gowns or dressy pantsuits are appropriate for women.
  • A jacket is required for men, along with pants (with no holes, rips or tears) and a sports shirt (must have sleeves) or sweater.
  • Swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants at any time.

I will be very interested to see how much they enforce the jacket requirement. I am taking a jacket specifically to eat at the Grande beyond the first night, so if it is not enforced I'm going to be ticked.

I'm not a huge fan of dressing up, but I don't mind it. However it does require a different packing scheme. My biggest peeve however is when rules are set and not enforced ... not only because then you are wondering what the "real" rules are, but also because it seems like rules only exist for those who plan ahead and follow them.

Do you think they will enforce the dress code? I would hope they would. Otherwise, the concept of a formal restaurant is meaningless.
I sure hope so too.

Just a guess, but I think they will try to enforce it initially, and gradually let it go.
It's sad but I agree. Unfortunately, there will be those who don't care that the Grande is set aside for formal wear and come in as they please.:rolleyes:

I doubt that it will be rolled out Fleet Wide as is being done and planned for on the mega ships. The smaller craft are just not able to accommodate some aspects of it due to their current design, layout and space restrictions.

I have had discussions with HDs and other senior staff about it and they feel the same. Now that doesn't mean that RCI will not apply some form of Dynamic Dining where they can.

I hope you're right. I hope that RCI doesn't make DD fleet wide either. I think they should leave the older ships alone to give cruisers a choice for the different dining venues. Fingers crossed.

Here is what I am curious about. I saw in the Q& A with Adam Goldstein that there is no formal night and no Captain's Reception but what happens if you are invited to the Captain's table and you did not plan on wearing formal attire on-board, or will there even be a Captain's table with the new DD set-up?

The same thing that happens on any other ship: you either rent something on board or decline the invitation.

It's sad but I agree. Unfortunately, there will be those who don't care that the Grande is set aside for formal wear and come in as they please.

[Cocktail dresses, gowns or dressy pantsuits are appropriate for women.

A jacket is required for men, along with pants (with no holes, rips or tears) and a sports shirt (must have sleeves) or sweater./QUOTE]

Keep in mind that what RCCL call "formal" isn't what most people call formal. To me, wearing a sports coat isn't "formal". I am OK with what they are proposing but I wish they hadn't called it " formal". It's more like business casual.

A jacket is required for men, along with pants (with no holes, rips or tears) and a sports shirt (must have sleeves) or sweater./QUOTE]

Keep in mind that what RCCL call "formal" isn't what most people call formal. To me, wearing a sports coat isn't "formal". I am OK with what they are proposing but I wish they hadn't called it " formal". It's more like business casual.

Business casual is very broad. I usually wear khakis and a polo or button down shirt for business casual. That is what i wear on cruises for casual nights. I agree that what they are calling formal is not formal. Maybe just call it "dressy" attire. Basically a small step up from casual.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

True. I believe "formal" is the intent, and the description sets the minimum expectations. I believe (hope is probably a better word) that by calling it formal, most people will greatly exceed the minimum expectations try to make it a truly special dining experience.

Royal is shooting for the stars to hit the moon. If they had called for business casual, they would be in a continual battle against tank tops and shorts.

Grande is being marketed as a Formal restaurant and I hope that suggested dress code (that isn't truly formal) is enforced.

It's interesting that RCI's Formal dress on their website is Jacket/tie or Tux for men but for Grande is Jacket and sport shirt. Makes me wonder if someone didn't proof read what was posted. :confused:

If cruisers don't want to dress up for Grande there are several other complimentary dining options. Dynamic Dining is all about choices. :)

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

Hope this isn't the start of the demise of dressing up now and then on a cruise. We love to do it a couple of times a trip. It's not that often you get the chance to wear a long dress or a bit of sparkle. If they start letting the standard slip in the Grand, will be going on another cruise line. Supposed to be about choice, for some that's shorts and a tshirt, but some of us want the choice to dress up

From RCL Cruise Planner:

Overview

The Grande Restaurant is a luxuriant nod to a bygone era. When dining was not a task, but a time-honored ritual. When you dressed for a date with an unforgettable dish. At The Grande, every night is formal night, and every night is a special occasion.

From Beef Wellington to Chicken a l'Orange, Roasted Scallops to Sole Almondine, the world's favorite classic dishes come together in pure opulence at this most elegant restaurant.

What to Wear

• Cocktail dresses, gowns or dressy pantsuits are appropriate for women.
  • A jacket is required for men, along with pants (with no holes, rips or tears) and a sports shirt (must have sleeves) or sweater.
  • Swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants at any time.

So, essentially, I could wear a nice pair of blue jeans and a polo shirt and carry a jacket over my arm until I place it over the back of my chair and I would meet the standards.