Best pool to passenger ratio for space, etc

Shih-tzu

Curious to know which ships (excluding the luxury ones) have the best pool space to passenger ratio. Some photos look like it's very crowded and some look like there's more "space" for those wishing to swim and lounge. One photo I saw had so many people in the pool that it would probably be standing room only and almost dangerous.

I understand that some of the bigger ships have bigger pools or more pools, but if even 1/2 of the 4000 passengers tried to crowd around the available pools to cool off, it wouldn't be very pretty:p

I see some ships that seem to have a few different options and locations for pools but some of them are also set aside for people who purchase higher end cabins (Yacht club, Haven, etc). I would consider buying a "spa" pass for a couple of days, but not an upgrade to the cabins that include it or have a private pool for that level.

When aboard a ship, I will probably want to spend sea days (or at least part of the day) near a pool...to me that's "vacation".

You ask a great question. As one who has been on more then 65 different ships and happens to love being around a pool, we also wonder if there is a definitive answer. With our extensive cruise experience (more then 3 1/2 years on ships) we have developed our own formula. Any mass market ship doing a typical 7-10 day Caribbean cruise is going to have a crowded pool deck and usually a crowded pool. This is even more true when you travel during school holidays. When we take long cruises (over 3 weeks in length) the pools and pool decks are less crowded because longer cruises attract an older crowd...many of whom are happy to stay inside the ship.

Hank

the pools and pool decks are less crowded because longer cruises attract an older crowd...many of whom are happy to stay inside the ship.

Hank

I'm old, but still like the pools :D :D :D

I don't think ANY ships have BIG pools....and it will depend on each sailing how many actually want to use the pool deck! Sea days are almost always crowded....it's the relaxing thing to do!

I realize that none of them are "big" but if you have a 20' x 40' pool and there's 2500 passengers on a ship it will be a lot different than if you have a 20' x 40' pool and there's 3500 passengers.....

I would image it would be a VERY relaxing thing to do...can't wait to find out (if I ever make up my mind which cruise I want - too many choices :))

When aboard a ship, I will probably want to spend sea days (or at least part of the day) near a pool...to me that's "vacation".

Fortunately, not everyone needs to be around the pool to enjoy their vacation. Many of us prefer the upper decks or our balconies with views of the ocean around us. After all, we are on a cruise SHIP, and the purpose of a ship is to travel through water. Some of us actually find that unique aspect of a cruise ship to be quite enjoyable. I much prefer peacefully watching the sea passing by than being crowded around a small pool full of overweight people. :D

Edited by boogs

Have a look at RCCL's Freedom and Oasis class ships. Even though they are some of the largest ships, they have many pools to accommodate the guests better than smaller ships which might have one or two small pools. Here's a

of Oasis' multiple pools.

This is why I love cruising so much. Being on a ship can be all things to so many people. If you want to lounge by a pool, you can. Personally I don't, in 5 cruises I've never been in the pool.

Seems to me you are asking the wrong question.

The size of the pool doesn't matter.

What you want to ask is which cruise has the least amount of people who will use the pool?

Longer cruises, off-season, more elderly passengers, and locations not known for sunbathing will give you the most pool space. :cool:

I realize that none of them are "big" but if you have a 20' x 40' pool and there's 2500 passengers on a ship it will be a lot different than if you have a 20' x 40' pool and there's 3500 passengers.....

I would image it would be a VERY relaxing thing to do...can't wait to find out (if I ever make up my mind which cruise I want - too many choices :))

Forget the pool, go to the upper deck above the pool, face your lounger towards the window, watch the sea go by and pretend you're at the beach. Now that's vacation.

Forget the pool, go to the upper deck above the pool, face your lounger towards the window, watch the sea go by and pretend you're at the beach. Now that's vacation.

Sounds good :) Just a bit worried about cooling off in the heat....

Seems to me you are asking the wrong question.

The size of the pool doesn't matter.

What you want to ask is which cruise has the least amount of people who will use the pool?

Longer cruises, off-season, more elderly passengers, and locations not known for sunbathing will give you the most pool space. :cool:

Bingo. two different cruises on the same ship. one cruise it was empty.. late september, no kids on board to speak of, lots of scooters, walkers and oh uh yeah, it rained or was windy the entire time( really cold wind).

other cruise: memorial day week. wall to wall bodies from the minute you got on board.

no ship has a pool designed for 'swimming' laps or otherwise.

I've seen the pool area on a ship just as crowded on a sunny day with 2500 passengers as I did on a ship with 3500 passengers. If it is sunny day the masses will come out and crowd the pool no matter what the ship size because there really is a limited amount of space around the pool and 1000 less people really doesn't matter in that limited space.

Fortunately, not everyone needs to be around the pool to enjoy their vacation. Many of us prefer the upper decks or our balconies with views of the ocean around us. After all, we are on a cruise SHIP, and the purpose of a ship is to travel through water. Some of us actually find that unique aspect of a cruise ship to be quite enjoyable. I much prefer peacefully watching the sea passing by than being crowded around a small pool full of overweight people. :D

I will be down the deck from you with a book...possibly reading, sleeping, or knitting, but away from the crowd. My cruise is July 5th, school kids I suspect will be out there as we cruise to Alaska. I can go to a pool anywhere, I can't watch the ocean from the middle of the ocean from anywhere other than a ship.

I will be down the deck from you with a book...possibly reading, sleeping, or knitting, but away from the crowd. My cruise is July 5th, school kids I suspect will be out there as we cruise to Alaska. I can go to a pool anywhere, I can't watch the ocean from the middle of the ocean from anywhere other than a ship.

Good point. I would probably be down the deck a ways too - only at pool long enough to actually get wet/cool off.... and I'll be reading or sleeping. Gave up knitting after discovering that I can't even make a scarf...:rolleyes:

Good point. I would probably be down the deck a ways too - only at pool long enough to actually get wet/cool off.... and I'll be reading or sleeping. Gave up knitting after discovering that I can't even make a scarf...:rolleyes:

I'm going to alaska in July - so cooling off shouldn't be as much of a problem

I've found the Grand and Golden Princess ships to have the best pools. They each have two main pools (one with a retractable roof, so you can use the pool in bad weather) and a smaller adult pool in the back of the ship. It was really easy to find a place to swim on those cruises. At least this was the case when I cruised them in 2002 and 2004.

All good information until I got to the last sentence...REALLY? What an unkind, statement to make. I dont want to start anything, but thats just uncalled for :(