Norwegian Sky to Sail Rescue Mission to St. Thomas September 09, 2017

xrvlcruiser

Greetings from South Beach. We live two blocks from water on three sides. NCL is doing a fabulous thing. We sailed NCL several times and may do so again. We spent Irma in our condo. We appreciate how much this gesture will mean to people on St. Thomas

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Greetings from South Beach. We live two blocks from water on three sides. NCL is doing a fabulous thing. We sailed NCL several times and may do so again. We spent Irma in our condo. We appreciate how much this gesture will mean to people on St. Thomas

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So happy to hear that you are safe. We are hearing from friends in Miami - some have power and other are still without power. All that matters is that people are safe.

Agree that they all deserve kudos but I believe that the first cruise line to send a ship to assist was NCL, so, I think they deserve credit for setting an example for other cruise lines.

I had not realised that supplying humanitarian aid was a competition :rolleyes:

I had not realised that supplying humanitarian aid was a competition :rolleyes:

Someone had to start the ball rolling. Obviously, NCL and now other cruise lines will lose a heck of a lot of money and their passengers will be inconvenienced (a mild word) in order to help people in need. The U.S. always assists people from countries around the world but it is not typical for cruise lines to take themselves out of service to assist. For this reason, they deserve recognition. The fact that other ships followed is a wonderful thing.

Greetings, Everyone, from South Beach. We have had damage, but it is of the repairable type. No loss of life. In thinking about NCL's trip to St. Thomas, I recall the kind of behavior I saw from people who lived and worked on the water when my family spent the summers on our cabin cruiser. Everyone helped everyone. literally.

When we sailed on a container ship in 1994, I saw a similar example of that behavior. We were up on the bridge in the afternoon with the First Officer. I heard a beep every few seconds and asked about it. The Officer said that this was a sound that would change in tone if our vessel had to undertake a rescue in the area. Location information would follow immediately. Nothing happened on that voyage.

However, one stormy day we were sailing on NCL's Jewel and having lunch in its sushi restaurant, The Captain, who we had met a couple of times, was dining at the counter. All of a sudden he jumped up and ran by us, saying something about an emergency. A moment later the motors stopped and an announcement said the Jewel was dispatching lifeboats to a sailboat in distress. After a while, a second announcement said the emergency was over, the Coast Guard got there first and two men had been rescued. There is a kind of being in the same boat philosophy on the water that includes islands. This feeling is obvious on the Hawaiian Islands.

Mary