New hotel opening in Southampton FYI

Looks nice! Finally a little more upscale place to stay in Southampton! They've needed one for years. Thanks for the info.

Yes, it's true that Southampton is very short on up-market hotels. Plenty of exceptionally good (and expensive) country hotels beyond the city, but not convenient for cruisers or others without their own transport.

Ocean Village is tolerably convenient, and walkable to Ocean cruise terminal and the pubs and restaurants of old town, the waterfront, and the West Quay complex.

But it has a chequered history with developers (at least one of which went bust) since its days as the port for cross-Channel ferries - that ferry trade long-ago taken by Portsmouth.

For a short while it was the go-to place in Southampton, with a selection of restaurants & such in Canute's Pavilion. But the developers got greedy, concentrated on building cheek-by-jowl apartments and jacked-up the rents for businesses.

Consequently Canute's Pavilion has gone, along with the former Calshot light-ship which graced the approach, and Ocean Village has become a bit of a residential nonentity other than a couple of cinemas & restaurants, and the berths for boats (I'd hesitate to call it a "marina" because it's so featureless).

If I were the chief exec of Harbour Hotel and Spa I wouldn't build it there.

But I'm not, and they did.

And if their reputation is anything to go by, they'll make a success of it. :)

JB :)

Wish the new hotel had been open this summer. Stayed last week at the Ibis Southampton. It was very basic. we did not stay at the Ibis budget. Bed was good. It was clean. Room was tiny. Bathroom was tight. It had a tube of hanging soap which was used for shampoo and washing. It was gross. My cruise cabin is really big compared to the hotel room. I would welcome a more upscale hotel. With all the pre and post cruise traffic, a new hotel would be good.

Just got email from the hotel if you book before September 23 and stay for night between October 2 to 23 December it will cost £175 a night which includes dinner room breakfast and use of the spa.

The dinner can be upto £ 27.50 per person.

I would go but I have booked at another hotel which I can't cancel.

Christine

Wish the new hotel had been open this summer. Stayed last week at the Ibis Southampton. It was very basic. we did not stay at the Ibis budget. Bed was good. It was clean. Room was tiny. Bathroom was tight. It had a tube of hanging soap which was used for shampoo and washing. It was gross. My cruise cabin is really big compared to the hotel room. I would welcome a more upscale hotel. With all the pre and post cruise traffic, a new hotel would be good.

Ibis are very basic European budget chain - if you want anything more then you won't find it here. (Some of the ones in London are a bit better.). For anyone looking for Southampton, the Pig in the Wall hotel is worth a look or a Google. Very pleasant indeed.

DINNER, BED & BREAKFAST OPENING OFFER:

Stay from only £175 per couple, per night inclusive of dinner and breakfast

One nights accommodation for two people

Valid on stays a between 2nd October 2017 – 23rd December 2017

Prices are based on two people sharing a Standard Double Room

Dinner at The Jetty Restaurant (£27.50 allowance for food per person)

Full English Breakfast

Full use of the HarSpa (excluding treatments & products)

Minimum of two nights required on stays that include Saturday nights

Valid on bookings made before 30th September 2017

Click here to book online or call 0238 110 3456 and quote ‘SOU01’

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hotel rooms in the UK are small compared to the USA. It's a small, crowded island and land is very expensive.

• 4 weeks later...
OK, who's the joker who slipped in the word "only" :D

JB :)

Strewth, is it the Waldorf? Give me the Premier Inn and ye olde 'Meal Deal' anytime.:D

Re prices, the Cotswold accommodation providers don't miss you. Just booked 3 nights at Bourton on the Water for a niece's wedding, pre cruise next May. No Premier Inn within cooee, mores the pity.

Hotel rooms in the UK are small compared to the USA. It's a small, crowded island and land is very expensive.

And if you find a parking space it is like winning the lottery.:loudcry: You need a lot of those gold coins for those parking meters too. 'Pay and Display.' Hate those words.:evilsmile:

Re prices, the Cotswold accommodation providers don't miss you. Just booked 3 nights at Bourton on the Water for a niece's wedding, pre cruise next May. No Premier Inn within cooee, mores the pity.

There is a Premier Inn in Chipping Norton, about 10 miles from Bourton-on-the-Water, but I suppose you want to stay closer than that.

Accommodations here in the Cotswolds range from eye-wateringly expensive country house hotels, through coaching inns and pubs (either in the market towns or smaller villages) to B&Bs and Airbnb listings, which can be comparatively less expensive. Unfortunately, though, if you want to stay in the Cotswolds you will have to pay a premium - it's a very popular part of the world, but pretty small.

What we don't have, by and large, are any of the budget chains, who tend to prefer new-builds or commercial property conversions. These can be found in the larger towns just outside the Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, such as Evesham, Bicester or Banbury (and, of course, Stratford-upon-Avon).

Sent from my iPad using Forums