Alaska clothing list

ChristyS

Yep. Layers. We went in June. It was cool but not cold. I would layer a long sleeve t shirt with a sweatshirt and carried a fleece at times. I was constantly taking layers off and adding back on. It does rain off and on quite a bit so be prepared for that. It would rain for 5-10 minutes then be fine for quite some time, then start again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For our Alaska cruise days, I packed jeans and fleece lined clogs. For tops I layered. I took a couple short sleeved and a couple long sleeved tees, and I think I even took 1 cotton turtleneck. Then I added a couple lightweight v-neck or cardigan sweaters, a fleece vest, and an all-weather jacket that was long enough to cover my butt. I wore everything in various combinations. Some days were warmer, some were colder, one day we had a lot of rain, etc. Also had a pair of warm knit gloves for my hands, and a disposable rain poncho although I never actually needed that.

We did Alaska in September a couple of years ago I understand it is often colder then, but I took some capris, a couple of pairs of jeans, several short sleeved shirts, a couple of sweaters and a really good rain coat. I wound up buying a couple of warmer long sleeved shirts for layering.

The good raincoat (LLBean) had a hood and it was an absolute Godsend. It was wet and misty and I would have missed the glaciers had I not been able to cover up well. In addition I had gloves and good shoes that could get wet.

As others said, plan on layers, but definitely take a jacket that can handle rain. Oh, and a bag that can get a bit wet so you can protect camera, etc. you don't want to let the weather stop you from enjoying your cruise!

It also depends where you are from. I am from the south and anything below 70 is cold to me. LOL We went in August and it was generally warm but I still felt comfortable in jeans and long sleeve shirts at a minimum. I also wore at some point long silk underwear, a hoodie, a 3 in 1 jacket (in all its configurations), rain pants, gloves, hat, scarves and sweaters. I also had waterproofed my hiking boots. It rained the whole day we were in Ketchikan.

When we sailed AK in May/June several years ago, I wore silk turtleneck, wool sweater, and down jacket every day all day. On the one rainy day I wore a lined rain jacket over all of those. I know that others have worn shorts and t-shirts on their AK cruises; we could not have done that! I was glad for all the warm layers, especially as we spent every day out on the upper decks, to enjoy the sun and the fabulous views. Gloves, sunglasses, hat with visor (for the sun), hat that covers ears (for the cold), socks, and warm water-resistant shoes were all appreciated. You never know how warm/cool and dry/wet it will be, but it pays to be prepared if you like to be outdoors.

I have sailed to Alaska 3 times and I agree with the layering suggestion.

Shoes and socks for the daytime as well. It is a wonderful cruise and I

hope you have a wonderful time:)

We cruised Alaska in may and had beautiful weather . It rained one day for about a half an hour the rest were sunny . I had packed a lined rain jacket and layered underneath it with a fleece and a long sleeved t shirt . I wore jeans and sneakers the whole trip .I did have gloves and a scarf which were needed for the glacier . Great trip .It was very casual on the ship even on formal night .

I totally agree with Sailor Sally! We cruised one July and were blessed with the most gorgeous weather.

Personally, I took my lined hooded knee-length raincoat for my top layer and wore what I'd normally wear for 50 degree weather at home--cashmere T and cardigan, or long sleeve t shirt and fleece zip hoodie with jeans and silk longjohns, fleece tights, or leggings. Gloves, scarf and hat or earmuffs and what you'd normally wear at home on your feet if it were muddy. I made sure my boots were large enough to accommodate two pairs of socks if necessary. No matter what part of your body, it is AMAZING how much warmer two thin layers are than one thick layer.

The only times I needed two layers were when visiting glaciers or while on our balcony, but I would not have been able to withstand the cold and would have missed many gorgeous waterfalls if I hadn't layered up. My buddy forgot to take her coat (don't EVEN ask!) and bought a 3-in-1 in our first port. They sold them at every port for $20. So, if you reside where it never gets cold and can manage it, that may be a thrifty option, albeit a chilly one. Sorry, OP, I just noticed you're from Maryland! Nevermind. I'll leave this comment in case it might help anyone else.

Like Sally said, our cruise-mates dressed more casually than on other cruises. I took one pair of dress slacks and a few dressier tops and my blingy jewelry didn't take up much room. The waitstaff encouraged us to "come as you are" to the MDR because our dining time corresponded so closely to our sail-away time one evening. The majority of diners wore jeans in the MDR that night. It may not be that way on all lines or all cruises, but our Alaska cruise was all about the sights and not about being seen.

P.S. My best Alaska tip: Fold and pack fleece items individually in large zip-loc bags--squeeze out air and they'll pack much smaller in your suitcase.

Edited by aoknkentucky
I thought of a P.S. and then realized I needed to correct a mistake. Yep! I'm OCD

Does anyone have a list of clothing you wore on an Alaska cruise ? Starting to plan for a May trip. Thanks in advance

We went to Alaska in the end of May and into early June. As many will say, LAYERS! Any glacier viewing from the ship may get cold and windy. Also, what excursions (if any) are you trying? We did a hike, so we needed hiking boots.

What shoes do the ladies wear on board?

I have a pair of warm boots and a pair of athletic shoes but what about dinner, etc? We're on Norwegian so no formal dinners but still think I need something besides boots or tennis shoes. Any need for sandals? That's pretty much all I wear in FL. :)

I brought flip flops for before and after pool/hot tub/spa time. I wore lots of ballet flats. I only wore my tennis shoes in the gym. Hiking boots for our excursions when necessary. Heels for formal night (but I know you don't have formal nights!)

I made sure my boots were large enough to accommodate two pairs of socks if necessary. No matter what part of your body, it is AMAZING how much warmer two thin layers are than one thick layer.

First, I've never been or cruised to Alaska. I have spent years living in Michigan and Northern IN. I've also read and know about layering.

If you have a tendency for cold feet or hands purchase hand and foot warmers for your shoes and gloves. They work well and will be dirt cheap in about a month or so. I keep about a dozen of them in my SUVs survival bag during the winter.

A pair of long underwear can be handy. You only need a lightweight pair. It's unlikely you would even need to wash them while on the cruise.

We have done two Alaskan cruises, one in June, one in September. The weather was better on the September cruise but of course that is unpredictable

As everyone else has said, layers are the best way to go. I took lightweight hiking boots for excursions and Toms for around the ship (daytime).

This is one outfit, the vest is from Eddie Bauer.

303574_334210203320671_947413044_n.jpg

This is the coat I bought from REI, it is waterproof and was great, not bulky but kept me warm and dry on this whale watching excursion

545272_334203076654717_1688767614_n.jpg