First cruise ever - Dining, excursion questions

LizzGo

I've already asked a few questions about wine, beverage packages etc and I think I'm starting to get a handle on cruising but still have questions:

I understand the only dining options included are MDR and buffet. Other than the dine for a fee options is that it for food? Or are there smaller snack venues?

Is the gym free? We are Concierge class - if that makes a difference.

Excursions? Can you just get off the boat and walk around and come back whenever you like? (Assuming the boat is in a port lol) Or do you have to do an excusion?

Do you recommend excursions? We're doing Eastern Caribbean and love to snorkel.

They tell you to take cash and credit cards with you on excursions? Hoe the heck do you do that if you're snorkeling?

TIA folks. Truly appreciate how helpful everyone is here.

Congratulations on your first cruise.

Always best to specify what ship you are on, but in general other free restaurants (in addition to main dining room and buffet) include the Aqua Spa Cafe (open daily for breakfast and lunch featuring light, healthy cuisine), the grill near the pool (burgers, hot dogs etc) and room service (during the wee hours of the morning there is a small service charge). Also the coffee shop (Cafe al Bacio) has pastries and these are free (even if you do not order a beverage).

For port time, yes you can walk off the ship even if not booked on an excursion. You need to specify which ports you will be calling upon for people to render advice regarding specific excursions. Here on Cruise Critic the Ports of Call board and your Roll Call (specific threads where people going on the same exact cruise can interact) are also excellent resources for researching excursions. On one's first cruise it is often easiest to book the excursion directly with the cruise line, but if you end up being a repeat cruises eventually I'd advise researching indepdently booked excursions (IMHO they are generally of superior quality, more customizeable and often less spendy to boot). But for a first cruise no need to worry about that.

If on an excursion snorkeling you often will be on a small boat and can leave small quantities of cash and a credit card in a bag on the boat while snorkeling. It is a bit trickier if just snorkeling off a beach and your entire party wants to go into the water at the same time. Some people purchase water-proof carrying devices they wear on their person while in the water.

Use of the gym is free, but they sometimes offer classes (i.e. yoga, spin, personal training) etc. that are for a fee.

I've already asked a few questions about wine, beverage packages etc and I think I'm starting to get a handle on cruising but still have questions:

I understand the only dining options included are MDR and buffet. Other than the dine for a fee options is that it for food? Or are there smaller snack venues?

Excursions? Can you just get off the boat and walk around and come back whenever you like? (Assuming the boat is in a port lol) Or do you have to do an excusion?

They tell you to take cash and credit cards with you on excursions? Hoe the heck do you do that if you're snorkeling?

There are some other places to get food. Room service is free, the Mast grill out by the pool has burgers etc, the El Baccio Cafe has cakes and pastries, and there is sometimes food in the Solarium at the Spa Cafe. Really finding food should never be an issue

Gym is free

When the ship is in port you can come and go as you please. You don't need to be on an excursion. You should always take some cash, a credit card and photo ID when you leave the ship. You never know what can happen and getting stuck in a foriegn country with no money or ID would be very bad. Find a waterproof pouch to keep your stuff in when snorkeling although most excursions are safe to leave your stuff with the guides.

Yes there are other venues, such as the mast grill (burgers, hot dog, fries) Aqua Spa Café (healthy items), Café al-Biaco (pastries only, specialty coffee is $$). These are free, but not everything is open 24hrs a day.

Gym is free. Might be a fee if you want to take a class.

You are under no obligation to take an excursion. In fact, you can book your own private one. Check out the roll-call of your sailing on these boards. Many people try to get groups together for private excursions. Myself, I just do a little research on where I want to go, and just take a taxi from the pier. It is rare that I have to pay more than $10 per person, as the taxis have set rates. For example, a fare could be $8 US per person from the pier to ABC Beach. There will be plenty of taxis at the pier. Usually I just want to go to the beach. I'll also ask the cab driver about being picked up after if the beach is remote. Bring US cash for this.

With a little research you can find out where to go and how to do it, no pricey ship excursion needed. These boards have a ports of call section where you can find a lot of tips for most cruise stops. Use the search function with the word "snorkel", and you'll have plenty to read. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5 Just make sure you have plenty of time left to get back to the ship. Bring a watch, because smartphones may or may not give you the correct time due to your phone settings and time-zone changes.

You can get a water wallet for these types of valuables and swim with them. If you are snorkeling from a tour boat, I'm sure your stuff will be safe enough if left on board.

What ship are you looking at? There are some differences, so it will help us give you better answers.

So far we've only been on one cruise and it was on Reflection in 2015 in the eastern Caribbean. We love to snorkel too and all our land-based vacations have been to places where snorkelling is available. So on our cruise we went snorkelling during 2 port visits. We found our own tours online using Trip Advisor and pre-booked before the cruise. Personally I was not worried about getting back to the ship on time as the tours we booked catered primarily to cruise passengers so were well aware of the bad publicity they would get if people missed their ship. We have an upcoming western Caribbean cruise (again on Reflection) and plan on snorkling during 2 of our 4 port visits, but have not yet made any bookings - but I'm pretty sure I have narrowed down the tours to buy.

As for where to put your sea pass, credit cards, cash, etc. we put them in small watertight cases roughly the size of a cigarette pack that is worn around the neck. No idea what they are called but they are readily available- maybe try a store in your area that specializes in bathing suits (in Ottawa we have a Bikini Village that I am sure has them).....or even places like CAA might have them, or luggage stores, etc. Anywhere where vacationers/travelers may shop. I also seem to recall seeing others online touting different things like waterproof cases worn around the waist, etc. But I only have experience with ones I use.

Your other questions I will let others answer as there are many more people on these boards more knowledgeable about onboard things.

We nearly always do independent excursions if we book something at all. Of COURSE you can just walk around. Get off the ship and do your thing and just be back on board in time. Independently you'll get better and less crowded excursions for less money. One thing to note: the ship will strongly urge you to take their excursions so that if you're late coming back to the ship they will wait. Let me tell you something: those independent tour operators know their business and would be OUT of business if they got people back late. It won't happen.

If going to Bonaire, the best snorkeling in the entire Caribbean is off the island at Klein Bonaire and the best of the best excursions is Woodwind. Book their morning tour. Best thing on the island, hands down.

I love the eastern and southern Caribbean itineraries.

I understand the only dining options included are MDR and buffet. Other than the dine for a fee options is that it for food? Or are there smaller snack venues? Tons of free food options on board like others have said

Is the gym free? We are Concierge class - if that makes a difference.Gym is free

Excursions? Can you just get off the boat and walk around and come back whenever you like? (Assuming the boat is in a port lol) Or do you have to do an excusion?You dont even need to leave the boat if you don't want to, we have a cruise coming up 7 nights may leave the boat once

Do you recommend excursions? We're doing Eastern Caribbean and love to snorkel.Depends where you are going, my wife and i are snorkeling in St Maarten supposed to be a great one, Capt. Bobs

They tell you to take cash and credit cards with you on excursions? Hoe the heck do you do that if you're snorkeling? I worried about this my 1st time, no worries someone is always watching your stuff, they would not ruin their business for a couple hundred dollars

Like others have said it would be easier to answer if you mentioned the ship/itinerary

Just to support what everyone else is saying ; booking your own private excursions is a better experience and much better value.. Join your roll call and see what others are doing.

Have a great time

Get a guidebook and read up on your ports. WE seldom do ANY excursion, whether thru the ship or private. Many things are easy to do on your own, and DIY can save a bundle!

So...find out what's what in each port before you start paying for excursions!

Other free venues are: Aqua Spa cafe (breakfast and lunch selections that are spa-like but very good), grill near the pool (burgers/hot dogs/fries/fixings), and cafe Baccio (pastries/deserts/coffee)

Gym is free for all

As long as the boat is docked, you are fee to come and go as you please. Many people arrange for excursions that are not sponsored by the ship or just explore on their own. This depends upon where you are going. Also, be sure that you arrive back at least 30 minutes before departure. The ship will sail without you.

Some people keep their cash/drivers license/credit cards/sea pass in waterproof pocket that they attach to their writs or neck if concerned with theft.

A great source of info is the daily newsletter onboard. It will tell you about events around the ship and list operating hours of the venues. An asterisk or other symbol indicates if there are fees for services or food.

Some threads include scans of newsletters so you can get a preview.

Take a read of the port boards for each location, it will give great ideas and advice on private trips or doing things yourself.

There's a board as you get off telling you what time you need to be back by, don't be late. You can come and go between the announcement that it's cleared to disembark and the time on the board.

Sent from my iPad using Forums