What clothing to bring?

a-Rose-r

I am going on my first cruise in September for my honeymoon. I keep asking people I know who have cruised what type of clothes they suggest and most can't answer me. I was told you can't wear short shorts? What type of clothing do you suggest is best for females to bring?

It really depends on the cruise and the type of cruise. The cruise you have chosen should give you dress code in their Q & A's. That said, when we did the Viking River Cruises, it was more casual, no really dressy nights. Shorts were OK around the ship, longer pants in the dinning room for the guys, and skirts and blouses or slacks for the ladies. The cruise we are taking in September - Mediterranean, is a bigger Ocean Ship, but still pretty causal. Goys don't have to wear ties and jackets not really necessary. Again, I just went to the Q and A's and asked about dress code.

Happy Sailing Lucky 99

we are taking Carnival and I will check the Q&A's. Thank you.

Carnival is pretty lax in their dress code. But the frequent question section should help. Shorter cruises will be less formal. On Elegant night, you will see everything from ball gowns to jeans. On cruise casual nights you will see dresses, sun dresses, shorts, capris, jeans & slacks. Hope this helps.

I am going on my first cruise in September for my honeymoon. I keep asking people I know who have cruised what type of clothes they suggest and most can't answer me. I was told you can't wear short shorts? What type of clothing do you suggest is best for females to bring?

Even though you can't wear shorts to dinner in dining room, you can certainly wear short shorts during the day on the ship.

Since you will be on Carnival I suggest you go to the Carnival forum to get more info after you read Carnival Q&A.

Edited by NMLady

we are taking Carnival and I will check the Q&A's. Thank you.

Good Plan! You'll find Carnival has a very relaxed dress code ... even for their elegant nights.

LuLu

Edited by OCruisers

Even though you can't wear shorts to dinner in dining room, you can certainly wear short shorts during the day on the ship.

Since you will be on Carnival I suggest you go to the Carnival forum to get more info after you read Carnival Q&A.

On carnival? I would stand to say she could probably wear just about anything she wanted during the day, main dining room could be pants to dresses, and elegant night the same. Carnival -- you are pretty safe when it comes to clothing.

You may wear pretty much whatever you wear at home. Shorts are not appropriate for dinner, but the rest of the day, have at it! Shorts/swim-suits are the outfit of the day.

You do not need to "glam" it up on a cruise. Dress appropriately for the venue. That's all.

Daytime - shorts, t's, tanks, bathing suit, sundress, flip flops/sandals, water shoes. Running shoes for any shopping shore days.

I always change for the evening.

Evenings, I'll wear a dressy/breezy/light top, usually with a tank top under (I can wear the tank again) and bring 2 pairs of pants & 2 light sweaters. Surprisingly evenings could be cool. Maybe I just feel cool because I'm usually burnt! LOL If its hot, I'll wear dressier capris or skirt.

Carnival 7 day cruises usually has 2 formal nights. I bring 2 dresses. Last cruise, I wore the same skirt (Maxi) and changed tops. I brought a light infinite scarf and next night, chunky jewellery. One pair of strappy heals.

Of course...a few bathing suits and cover ups! I bring one gym outfit as well as I try to fit in a bit of gym time.

Short shorts are fine during the day. Most are in bathsuits and coverups for entering the buffet dining area so you will be fine! Can't wear short shorts for evening dining however.

I love Pinterest for cruise clothes ideas! AND for lots of other cruise stuff too!!

Edited by angelwinks_ca

leave the high heels home. This is a moving vessel and if you hit rough waters you will not be walking in those shoes.

your day time foot wear should have a good traction- regular flip flops you will find will be slippery and people fall. (especially when going from the outside to the inside when the condensation has built up- walk carefully on open decks)

shorts, swim suits, cover ups for the most part. It will be hot and it will be humid out in the ports so dress for that.

For Carnival you can wear shorts. I mean I wouldn't wear gym shorts, but I typically wear Bermuda shorts (knee length) for me and a nice shirt for dinner and my husband usually wears khaki shorts. He is a khaki shorts guy who wears them all the time. But both of you could also wear jeans for dinner and a nice shirt. I have also worn capris.

I don't know, I just always try to look "nice" But carnival is an anything goes kind of cruise line.

For formal night I wear a cocktail dress and my husband wears black slacks and a button up with a tie. But I have certainly seen people dress nicer and people dress less nice too.

During the day it just depends on your activity. Pool wear on deck is fine, inside I may have shorts on and a casual shirt.

But honestly, if you want to go shopping and buy new stuff for your honeymoon, I would buy a new dress for formal night and maybe some new outfits for dinner. That's what I did and we had our honeymoon on Carnival!