New to Seabourn; help me choose a suite

cruiseej

After having done a number of cruises on Regent, we have decided to take a Seabourn cruise next summer to Norway because the dates and length of the cruise are better for us than Regent's. I've been reading this forum a bit as we started considering this trip to start getting immersed in all things Seabourn, but now we're ready to make the plunge and make a booking. So I'm posting to ask for and advice and words of wisdom on selecting a suite on the Quest.

We will likely forego a Penthouse suite because of the cost and choose one of the Veranda suites. Are there any differences from V1 to V6 other than deck level/location? Any decks or areas you'd advise staying away from? Do the higher decks/higher levels offer any advantage worthy of a higher fare?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice for a Seabourn newbie. I'm sure I'll have more questions as we move along in our planning.

(I'm sure some of these issues have been discussed here before, so if there is a good past thread that addresses this, feel free to point me to the link.)

Eric

Eric

As I really can not advise you I can say I stay on Deck 7 ~

I enjoy a small Suite, next to the Winter Garden Suite.

Look at the Deck plans in your booklet ~

I would stay on Deck 7 ~~close to the Seabourn Square. So very

convenient, the Suites all have nice balconies. Very comfortable!

Have fun ~others here will provide you with their advice ~always

excellant.

Martita B

After having done a number of cruises on Regent, we have decided to take a Seabourn cruise next summer to Norway because the dates and length of the cruise are better for us than Regent's. I've been reading this forum a bit as we started considering this trip to start getting immersed in all things Seabourn, but now we're ready to make the plunge and make a booking. So I'm posting to ask for and advice and words of wisdom on selecting a suite on the Quest.

We will likely forego a Penthouse suite because of the cost and choose one of the Veranda suites. Are there any differences from V1 to V6 other than deck level/location? Any decks or areas you'd advise staying away from? Do the higher decks/higher levels offer any advantage worthy of a higher fare?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice for a Seabourn newbie. I'm sure I'll have more questions as we move along in our planning.

(I'm sure some of these issues have been discussed here before, so if there is a good past thread that addresses this, feel free to point me to the link.)

Eric

Deck 7 is handy for Seabourn Square. Deck 8 is handy for the patio Grill and bar. Decks 5 & 6 are less convenient but probably better in heavier seas. Personally, I like Deck 8. We crossed the Drake Passage on Deck 8 and it was fine.

Ideally look at a paper ship's plan - you can see which suites are under the open deck; not so desirable. Deck 5 balconies are partly metal,not all glass, if that matters. I would not choose a suite which can be opened up into 2 adjoining, or one right next to a 'blank space',on the plan, indicating a service area. Deck 8 in bad weather means going across a wet deck or using lifts or stairs to get to the Colonnade, Square etc.

Still leaves plenty of good ones!

Everyone will have a different view, for us Deck 5 is our favourite position on the larger ships, designation V1 and V2. We love it, there. As creatures of habit we like to go down one flight of stairs daily for breakfast to the MDR, a few paces to the lifts which you will not hear, walk in your dressing gowns un noticed along the side deck to the fab little pool and Jacuzzi at the stern, easy access to the Club along the corridor, straight in the lift up to the Observation Bar, Colonade, Patio Grill etc.......to us it is perfect.

The half glass balconies to us are not a problem, We don't lie in bed looking out to sea...... I have to also add that in all honesty even if you get stuck with what you feel is the worst cabin you will still have a great time!!

Edited by rl787
Mistake!

Generally, Seabourn ships dock on the starboard side, thus if you like to watch sailing in and docking (sometimes the local authorities arrange for a band or some other type of entertainment), you should get an odd number cabin. If you don't like to be disturbed, then you should book an even number cabin.

You have received excellent advice from everyone who has responded. The only thing I would add is a note on how you plan to use your veranda. If you plan to spend many hours using your veranda to read and enjoying the view, you may prefer one above deck 5 which has a front glass railing face running its entire height. If you don't plan to use your veranda extensively in this manner, the deck 5 verandas with the previously mentioned front glass railing face with a mental horizontal base are just fine.

We picked port side for our Med cruise because I thought it would suit the direction of travel, ports etc and it worked out great but in reality I think it would have been just as good on the starboard side. Had no complaints about being on deck 6. Otherwise we just chose according to the guidelines other posts above have detailed and it worked out fine.

We have not been on the Quest, but believe the big ships are pretty much the same. We have had the same cabin for Panama Canal and 21 day Stockholm to Copenhagen which is midship on deck 6. Nice area with hot tub on the front of the ship.

We really enjoyed our Deck 6 suite on our last cruise, and I particularly loved sneaking off for a quick soak in the hot tub at the front! Next cruise we will be on Deck 5 (unless the upgrade fairy visits!) which is fine. We know what we will be getting (slightly smaller veranda with a part-metal barrier) and that's fine - there are no bad suites on Seabourn, just some are even better than others!

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback. I think we've zeroed in on two suites Deck 6, midship -- 637 & 639 -- that meet all the criteria and avoid any of the (minor) negatives.

More questions will doubtless follow in the months ahead as we prepare for our first Seabourn cruise!

Eric

If the OP decided to splurge a bit or was cordially upgraded from one of these well located Verandah Suites to a Penthouse Suite, what are the real differences for the increased fare, or accommodation between the two class of suites?

If the OP decided to splurge a bit or was cordially upgraded from one of these well located Verandah Suites to a Penthouse Suite, what are the real differences for the increased fare, or accommodation between the two class of suites?

More space, but a higher deck suite can bring more movement.

I do not like the penthouse suites as they have dark wood and the bed is encased in a glass shell.

The best PH suite is 635 on deck six which is designated a disabled suite,lots of space,no glass shell surrounding the bed and on the best deck imo.

I always have suite 642 or 640

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Mr Luxury

More space, but a higher deck suite can bring more movement.

I do not like the penthouse suites as they have dark wood and the bed is encased in a glass shell.

The best PH suite is 635 on deck six which is designated a disabled suite,lots of space,no glass shell surrounding the bed and on the best deck imo

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We asked about this suite as only it and the suite we booked were available. I expressed concern that I wouldn't want to book the suite and trump a disabled person out of an accommodation. I was told that if such proved the case we would be moved so, even if the chances were small, we passed.