changes for Radisson alumni

jax

I just noticed on the Radisson web site that past guests only receive a discount on "selected" sailings not the across-the-board 5% discount of yore. Does any one know what percentage it is now for a single supplement? it use to be 30% (lower category cabins)and it was clearly listed on their site but not any more.

Most cruises still have the 5% society savings. The most popular cruises, Alaska, the Baltics and some European cruises have no past passenger savings. Crossing and selected early European cruises have 10% savings.

Single Supplement

Below are the usual charges for single supplements it can vary by cruise date

Sometimes there are specials on Single Supplements. Pricing may also vary by cruise date and single supplements could change depending on how full the ship has become. The world cruise the single supplement is no longer offered.

Voyager and Mariner

H - D

35%

HS -C

75%

MS - SS

100%

Navigator

H - D

35%

HS -C

75%

MS - SS

100%

Paul Gauguin

F - D

$995

C - OS

100%

50% off second person sailings the single rate is the first person rate.

Not to make too much of this, but a quick count of cruises versus those that have Society discounts of either 5% (some) or 10% (very few) shows that only about 1/3 of the 2006 season has a Society discount...not "most". And since it used to be "all", this was definately a step backwards to be offset, we are promised, by the still undisclosed tiered benefits. Not enough to make us switch our prefered cruise line, but we are feeling less appreciated. :(

Portolan, I too am very disappointed that Radisson has chosen to pull this benefit from many sailings, as it adds up if you cruise several times a year. On their website they say of the coming "tiered benefits" program:

"Our goal is to make the Seven Seas Society more personalized and benefits-centered for our loyal guests," said Kenneth Watson, executive vice president, marketing and sales for Radisson Seven Seas. "This program enhancement is a concerted effort to continue to recognize and reward our highly prized repeat customers...."

If repeat customers are so highly prized, and their goal is to make SSS more benefits-centered, taking away benefits is not the way to accomplish this. Added to that, the increased single supplement is just another benefit taken away. I think it was 25% when I started with RSSC.

"Our goal is to make the Seven Seas Society more personalized and benefits-centered for our loyal guests," said Kenneth Watson, executive vice president, marketing and sales for Radisson Seven Seas. "This program enhancement is a concerted effort to continue to recognize and reward our highly prized repeat customers...."

It's called "double-speak!!!!"

At a minimum, it was poor marketing strategy to take away a benefit with the replacement program not announced at the same time. I'm still optimistic that the new program may be good (no point in being pessimistic now…can always be disappointed later), but I think most Society members are feeling let down in the interim. It is hard to understand the delay unless they are trying to gauge what, if any, the impact is for the reduced number of discounted cruises. What I’d like not to think, but is almost the inescapable conclusion, is that with only three ships outside Tahiti, they are cabin poor and don’t need to continue to be as nice to previous passengers to keep the ships booked.:(

I am looking forward to the tiered benefits. I will gladly give up the 5% on some sailings (that I may not choose) for benefits more in line with loyalty to the cruise line. I agree, though, that they shouldn't have pulled one without the announcement of the other.

Marc

Ngaire, by saying that the single supplement is no longer "offered" on the WC, does this mean it isn't charged or that, as asked above, the fare is now 200%? This makes a difference to me, as I hope to do the WC in a few years. If they're going to be charging that much, I probably should start sampling other cruise lines now to see which I want to do--RSSC would be out of the question at that level. If, however, they are simply eliminating the ss, I may be able to do the WC sooner than I'd thought.

• 4 weeks later...

As the Welsh's say, this is indeed "double speak", and it sure has a familiar ring to it. As I recall, when AA added a $250 one-way copay, in addition to the 50,000 mile requirement, to upgrade to Business Class on international flights, there was a lot of "this is good for our most frequent flyers" mumbo-jumbo. :(

Last year on our Navigator cruise to Berumda, although sold out, there were only 441 passengers out of a potential 490 - had all suites been double occupied.

The single supplement was only $100! We could not believe it and of course that did not last very long. Even the 35% for the less expensive cabins is great compared to other lines. Cunard used to be very single friendly but this changed with QM2.

I just received a mailing from SS Society that talks about the future "tiered" program but very light on details.

Do not know what you have to do for some of these but they list things like

Comp one-cat upgrade

Comp spa certificates

Comp Internet access on board

Comp Laundry services

They list a title but no info for something called "Signature Cellars" - RSSC new wine club.

Received a mailing this week re the newand reduced benefit...at least hubby did. After four sailings as a single (and three futures booked) I've never received a mailer from RSSC or the society. Hubby sails once with me in April and he's had two mailers within the past week. He has never independently booked a trip on his own, but I guess RSSC values him for some reason. Didn't go over too well.

Anyway, the number of cruises is limited and the discount varies from 5 to 10%. On some not offering discounts, there is an upgrade instead. Reducing the incentive for past customers doesn't seem like a good marketing strategy to me. However, when most of the passengers fall into this category it does hit the bottom line.

Don't feel bad, Joanne, even though I book and pay for all our cruises, my husband always ends up as the cruiser of record. Just a little old-fashioned sexism I think.

Right for most cruise lines, but Crystal lists all mailings to me and my mother (Mr. and Mrs) :p

According to the website, the new program will have four tiers based on the number of nights sailed. While the details haven't been announced, it looks like those lucky folks who are able to do the lengthy annual cruises will be catered to with free laundry and internet, priority spa and restaurant reservations, priority boarding, special events, etc. Wonder if those of us who can only sail 10-20 days a year will have to sail steerage.

Personally, I was happy with the policy of 5% off on sailings. I have over 100 days, and I am still wondering about what they will offer that will be useful to me. With my Amex credit, my bar bill and laundry/drycleaning bill are usually taken care of. Oh, laundry is a whole lot different from dry cleaning (which I usually need), which is not in the mix of benefits. It is the excursions that get me, and sometimes I book them on my own. I would rather they stay with the discount for SSS passengers and just leave it at that with the cruise discounts.. I just don't think these benefits, even with my number of cruise days are going to put me ahead. (OK, we haven't heard what they are yet)

I'm very curious about what they mean by "priority access to itineraries".... That's another one of the "tiered" benefits they floated in their letter. If it means that people like me that do not have that many days have to wait further to book, it might be impossible to do a RSSC cruise. They come out so late with their itineraries as it is.

JHP, Can you please tell me how you get AmEx credit? I book through a regular T/A, and use my AmEx card, but no credit for us. How do I accomplish this? We are about to book two cruises for next year and would like to get the best possible deal. Thanks for your reply, Pam

JHP, Can you please tell me how you get AmEx credit? I book through a regular T/A, and use my AmEx card, but no credit for us. How do I accomplish this? We are about to book two cruises for next year and would like to get the best possible deal. Thanks for your reply, Pam

Any TA can get you the $300 ship board credit. You MUST completely pay with platinum or centurion amex. If you use an affiliated amex travel service, you are also eligible for a once a year $150 travel credit.

Host Dan

But not all cruise agents are willing to jump through the ever-increasing hoops that AmEx throws out there, in order to get the onboard credit. To be safe, I'd ask if yours is.

I do not think Dan's information is quite correct. You must own a "real" AMX Platinum card ($395 per year) to obtain a credit, but you may charge the cruise on an alternative AMX card. It must be AMX.

Although I stand to be corrected, I think Dreps is right. As long as you "own" that Platinum Card, your on-board credit should be honored no matter what card you use. I always charge it to my P card, but lately I have had to remind them of my credit (last two cruises) and it has been posted by the end of the cruise, so if you don't have an envelope with a letter in your cabin saying this is the case, check it out right away. They will correct it within a day, from my experience.

Archived