Cruise Line Loyalty

Bgentles

Each

Line had its pros and cons and depends what you are looking for

Some cheaper lines I used to like would not touch now as they don't offer what I now want

Not that

There is anything wrong with them

My desires changed

Like women. Need them in walkers now so they can't run away when ask em to dance :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hahaha, I like that! Love your attitude as well.

Keep on dancing and cruising!

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why is it so important for cruisers to be loyal to the point of being rude? I've spent more time in forums lately, and I am amazed at the snide comments, criticizing of other lines than the ones you like, etc. I have been on several cruises on one specific line (other than in the 70's), and I've enjoyed them all, but I see no reason to blast those that don't care for the line I usually sail. Thoughts? I'm just curious really;)

You said this right. All are good cruises... :D

Each

My desires changed

Like women. Need them in walkers now so they can't run away when ask em to dance :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You remind me of the guy in Hooters when his friend asked which waitress he would like to trapped with in an elevator.

He said "The one who knows how to fix elevators !!"

I suspect that many not only think that their cruise line is better than anyone else's but that cruising on that line makes them a better person than anyone else, too.

Yes, there certainly appears to be lots of folks who post and think this. For many, it seems it has become a part of their identity. I have even read obituaries that mention the decease's love of a particular cruise line. Not love of the sea, love of travel, love of new experiences, far away places or of meeting new people, but love of a particular company. :eek:

We read the reviews but we only pay attention to two specific areas.

The first is the cabin....are there recurring HVAC or plumbing issues.

The second is how the on board management team deals with the issue. And I don't mean did they give a free bottle of cheap plonk or a future cruise credit. We want to know if they were responsive, if the front desk team was being straightforward, or if the reviewer was able to speak with a senior manager...depending on the issue.

Food, service, entertainment, etc are subjective and can change with the next crew change or cruise.

We read the reviews but we only pay attention to two specific areas.

The first is the cabin....are there recurring HVAC or plumbing issues.

The second is how the on board management team deals with the issue. And I don't mean did they give a free bottle of cheap plonk or a future cruise credit. We want to know if they were responsive, if the front desk team was being straightforward, or if the reviewer was able to speak with a senior manager...depending on the issue.

Food, service, entertainment, etc are subjective and can change with the next crew change or cruise.

I understand that wanting to know how management dealt with an issue is important. We rarely even approach management about problems anymore. We had an entire cruise laden with poor service and problems and involving our concierge and management into the issues only added to our stress level. Now, unless it is a absolute deal breaker for us, we let it slide.

I do wish though that one day we will have a cruise where everything is satisfactory. Our next cruise is on a different line so we are keeping our fingers crossed.

I understand that wanting to know how management dealt with an issue is important. We rarely even approach management about problems anymore. We had an entire cruise laden with poor service and problems and involving our concierge and management into the issues only added to our stress level. Now, unless it is a absolute deal breaker for us, we let it slide.

I do wish though that one day we will have a cruise where everything is satisfactory. Our next cruise is on a different line so we are keeping our fingers crossed.

If dealing with the people who are able to makes things right raised your stress level then I, for one, would like to know more about the ship and line. Good customer service should reduce stress.

If dealing with the people who are able to makes things right raised your stress level then I, for one, would like to know more about the ship and line. Good customer service should reduce stress.

One thing to keep in mind though when reading a customer service issue is that there are usually 3 sides of the story and you are only hearing one side and know nothing about the person posting it. I try to keep an open mind about these things.

Wow -- If you have never had a cruise where everything was at least "satisfactory," then maybe cruising isn't for you? I wonder why you choose to cruise at all if this has been your experience.

Edited by SeagoingMom

I read an article that shed some light on the "bad reviews" subject and caused me to look at reviews in a different light.

One company was getting slammed by bad reviews, so they hired an analyst to see why the customers were not happy. The analyst discovered that the bad reviews were being posted by one of their competitors.

I stopped reading reviews and started making my own decisions shortly after reading that.

It caused me to question if some of the bad reviews on cruise ships were generated in the same way, or if some of the loyalists of one cruise line were bashing another just to cause damage. Those that particularly caught my attention were the ones that contained blatantly untrue statements.

The idea of suspecting reviews as being "planted" by competitors make sense for such things as hotels, I think. But for cruise lines, on Cruise Critic? Do you really think there is a chance that CC posters are plants for competitive cruise lines? It is pretty easy to check other postings and see whether reviewers have a history on the web site -- on roll calls, etc. Wow, if the cruise lines are employing folks to pretend to be cruisers who want to "chat" about cruising, create a totally bogus online persona, and then post detailed negative reviews of specific cruises, I might as well retire from CC altogether! (Although I have to say I am one of those who rarely reads reviews...but not for reasons of suspicion.)

All of our cruises have been wonderful.

We had one small issue cabin thermostat issue on an NCL cruise two years ago.

I was amazed at the response and with the unsolicited management follow up.

In a past life I was responsible for a large customer service organization. The NCL team response went above and beyond. We remain impressed to this day.

That's exactly what I think it is.........anonymity. I don't think that those posters would be so rude if they were discussing a topic face to face with someone. People can become very courageous when typing on a computer.

This is exactly the reason I have a hefty IGNORE list!

Everyday I live my life in the most positive way. I refuse to read the words of people who are committed to make their life and the lives of those around them as miserable as they can! I feel sorry for these people! Everytime I see my IGNORE in action, it is empowering! I refuse to give Negative Nellies a sounding block. Try it!

Lauri

This is exactly the reason I have a hefty IGNORE list!

Everyday I live my life in the most positive way. I refuse to read the words of people who are committed to make their life and the lives of those around them as miserable as they can! I feel sorry for these people! Everytime I see my IGNORE in action, it is empowering! I refuse to give Negative Nellies a sounding block. Try it!

Lauri

But one needs to be careful because there is a difference between maintaining a positive attitude and sticking one's head in the sand. We have a very good friend who loves to argue politics. But as soon as anyone starts injecting facts into the discussion he will say "I don't want to hear it." We see some of that hear on CC where "cheerleaders" will always defend and support their cruise line of choice, no matter what!

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

But one needs to be careful because there is a difference between maintaining a positive attitude and sticking one's head in the sand. We have a very good friend who loves to argue politics. But as soon as anyone starts injecting facts into the discussion he will say "I don't want to hear it." We see some of that hear on CC where "cheerleaders" will always defend and support their cruise line of choice, no matter what!

Hank

Oh yes, point taken! I love to hear other's opinions but when it comes to a laundry lists of negativity without strong facts to back it up, I just move on!

I am a cheerleader of any vacation I am blessed enough to take! Will all be perfect? Nope. Do I dwell on those? Oh Hell No!

Always been a glass half full kind of girl despite all the ugly I have lived (and survived) through! Maybe that is why I have such a hard time with Negative Nellies! It works for me!

You are a wise man, Hank! You always give me food for thought!

Lauri

Lauri

The idea of suspecting reviews as being "planted" by competitors make sense for such things as hotels, I think. But for cruise lines, on Cruise Critic? Do you really think there is a chance that CC posters are plants for competitive cruise lines? It is pretty easy to check other postings and see whether reviewers have a history on the web site -- on roll calls, etc. Wow, if the cruise lines are employing folks to pretend to be cruisers who want to "chat" about cruising, create a totally bogus online persona, and then post detailed negative reviews of specific cruises, I might as well retire from CC altogether! (Although I have to say I am one of those who rarely reads reviews...but not for reasons of suspicion.)

Not long ago a CC member accidently revealed he worked for Carnival in a thread where he was bashing a ship of another line that he had obviously not sailed. His screen name was even the name of a new Carnival ship. I just checked the members list and didn't see him, so hopefully he was banished.

Hank

I like this answer!

Hank

And we also see the opposite- those that hate a particular cruise line so much that they will always attack said line over the littlest things. I tend to tune both sides of the spectrum out.

Not long ago a CC member accidently revealed he worked for Carnival in a thread where he was bashing a ship of another line that he had obviously not sailed. His screen name was even the name of a new Carnival ship. I just checked the members list and didn't see him, so hopefully he was banished.

If they had less than 300 posts they won't show up in the members list.

Hank

What is amazing to me are the cheerleaders who are so accepting of service problems and mishaps. It's akin to "ship happens" and you should just accept it. They even provide advice for work arounds, like make sure you ask for a copy of your onboard account every couple of days to verify that it is correct. The cruise line is known for errors. Or make sure you bring hard copies of every promotion that you have as the ship is known to make errors. Or never charge drinks to your cabin card and purchase beverage cards instead due to billing errors. These are just a few.

But imagine a land based service provider constantly sending you bills with errors? How loyal would you remain? But for some reason, when it comes to a ship, some folks are more than willing to remain loyal for less than.

And we also see the opposite- those that hate a particular cruise line so much that they will always attack said line over the littlest things. I tend to tune both sides of the spectrum out.

And sometimes they haven't even cruised on that line--they are just going on

'what they've heard'.

Accidentally revealed? Hmmm...interesting! But the point is, you already knew he was "bashing a ship of another line that he had obviously not sailed," so it doesn't really matter if he worked for a competitive cruise line or not! That's the beauty of CC -- there is always someone who does a little research into posters' backgrounds (at least their CC backgrounds) and exposes them as likely fakes. And I think most seasoned CC'ers can sniff out a fake even without doing much research!

What is amazing to me are the cheerleaders who are so accepting of service problems and mishaps. It's akin to "ship happens" and you should just accept it. They even provide advice for work arounds, like make sure you ask for a copy of your onboard account every couple of days to verify that it is correct. The cruise line is known for errors. Or make sure you bring hard copies of every promotion that you have as the ship is known to make errors. Or never charge drinks to your cabin card and purchase beverage cards instead due to billing errors. These are just a few.

But imagine a land based service provider constantly sending you bills with errors? How loyal would you remain? But for some reason, when it comes to a ship, some folks are more than willing to remain loyal for less than.

Perhaps these folks are only able to cruise on the "less than ideal" ship because it is near their home and travel expenses aren't in their budget? Or that a "better" ship is too pricy? Or perhaps they look at these difficulties as being minor (even if there is a laundry list of them :)) compared to the sheer enjoyment of being on a cruise? Or perhaps these folks prefer "the devil they know" and are afraid of jumping "out of the frying pan." (How's that for mixing metaphors? :o)

I actually have a certain sympathy for the perspective of the folks you describe. I once stayed at a beach hotel that was perfectly located and quite reasonably priced, and our family had such a wonderful vacation there that the place became dear to my heart. Was the hotel perfect? Decidedly not -- it was old and shabby, and the housekeeping standards were not what I would have wished. But it just happened to be the only realistic option for us (there were very few other hotels on the beach, and they were way too expensive.) That does not mean that I would not go back to that hotel again -- I would, knowing that I was getting what I was paying for -- and remembering what a fine time we had there in spite of maintenance and housekeeping lapses. :rolleyes: My only problem is, I am a little ashamed to recommend the place to anyone, for fear that their reaction would be, "Ugh! You actually stayed there? Gross!" :o But if anyone asks me about the place, I tell them the truth, and let them decide if it sounds like the place for them.

I see no reason to be rude, everyone has their favorite as do I. I've been on 3 different cruise lines and have a 4th coming up. I'm looking forward to trying a different line. If I don't like it I won't go back to that line. Of the 3 that I've been on so far there is 1 that wouldn't do again unless friends and/or family wanted to. We've never had a bad time on a cruise, we just prefer some of the lines more than others. :)

Different strokes for different folks. We've sailed with five different lines and have had bad exprience with all. This does not mean I have a bad thing to say about them, nobody is prefect we all make mistakes and can learn from it. All you have to do is read the reviews on CC about a ship and a cruise. Different people sailing on the same ship at the same time will go from never again to the best time ever and looking forward to their next cruise on that ship and line. We've developed a loyalty to a certain line because we enjoy their ships, the fellow cruisers we meet. I still, at the end of the cruise when I fill out the comment sheet point out a couple of things that they should work on that I'm not happy about. When all is said and done we've enjoyed all our cruises no matter what cruise line.

Allan & Marlane

We have spent a lot of time on cruises (far more then 3 years) and obviously love that form of travel. Cruise Critic is simply a public blog/forum and like nearly every blog you have all types of folks. If you see something you do not like just move on... When it comes to rudeness we think folks should not confuse blogs like CC with real life :). The rudeness that really gets me angry is when I see cruise ship passengers mistreat the crew. We see this too often on cruises and sometimes have some fun. On our last HAL cruise we were behind a lady at the lunch time Lido sandwich bar..and she spent nearly 10 minutes directing the cook "exactly" how she wanted the sandwich. The crewman always smiles, was very patient (everyone in line was ready to pull out this ladies hair) and did everything right. When the lady finally got her sandwich she just grunted and started to walk away. I quickly said to the cook (loud enough for the lady to hear) "she meant to say Thank you." A few others in line started to laugh and this nasty rude lady gave me a look that said, "you are just a fly on the wall."

Hank