12 day is now 14 day.

jfkny

There are many ways to change a return flight for free. If the flight time changes (common), call and they'll make the change for free. Or if bad weather, they'll let you re-schedule which is pretty common in January in NY.

I don't see how that works for this situation. You're assuming that there will be another reason for the flight to be delayed or canceled. I'm not that much of a gambler that I'd get on a cruise *hoping* that my flight gets canceled and I can change it for free.

Well :D - in that case, you don't necessary have to "waste" it - maybe just a 50% loss on the unused value of that airline ticket, assuming it's not refundable and/or the change fee is excessive (or higher than the face value of the ticket).

If the change is 2 extra days at the end of the cruise, you still use it for the outbound segment(s) - flying to the port for the sailing, and become a no-show for the return as you will still be on the ship. You shop for & buy the best return ticket, one-way only - for flying home based on the 14+ days schedule.

Another popular well-known traveler's secret these days, it's not always cheaper to buy a round-trip plane ticket, it used to be - for best fares & discounts, etc. Not anymore, at least for most if not all U.S. carriers, legacy or the remaining 3 major ones - you can use mileage & book two one-way tickets to travel, sometimes using different airports - hometown & destinations. It's another form of travel "insurance" against the unexpected.

Whenever we book flights - business or personal travel, including cruises, we always check for & find the best deals by looking at round-trip fares and two one-way fares, especially if you are using major airline hubs like SFO, LAX, ORD, IAH, MIA, ATL, IAD, JFK, EWR, etc. with secondary airports nearby with competition from other carriers.

And the point is I'd still lose money - whether it's 50%, a change fee, or having to purchase a one-way ticket home. NCL's been taking too many liberties lately....

The point was, wait it out a bit and see if the flight time changes and it'll be a free change. The likelihood of weather allowing you to make a change is also pretty high.

But, right now, has your TA contacted NCL yet to see if they will cover your air change fees? I'd check that first before you get yourself in a tizzy.

Why wouldn't travel insurance kick in?

Of course you need to call and inquire and the insurance would need to have been purchased already

But ncl just decides to add 2 days to the cruise?

I know it sounds great but they really should offer to pay the change fees for those already booked who have purchased airfare. Especially since they are still taking bookings for the 12 day with no mention of it going to a 14 day

And we all know that only a small % of cruisers are actually on cruise critic

It's not like this additional 2 days is an "act of god" it is a planned change by ncl

Ncl is really looking like idiots these days and it won't surprise me if they change it again and make night 12 a stop in NYC where they wont take on any new pax and then off for 2 days or maybe a call in Newport.

Fwiw none if the other stuff ncl has been doing lately really bothers me but unless they offer to pay change fees ncl will get lots of flax and they will

Look like a totally incompetent company.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

The point was, wait it out a bit and see if the flight time changes and it'll be a free change. The likelihood of weather allowing you to make a change is also pretty high.

But, right now, has your TA contacted NCL yet to see if they will cover your air change fees? I'd check that first before you get yourself in a tizzy.

I'm certainly not in a tizzy. I'm not even on the cruise! My original post said I'd (as in I would...). :)

Do we know for a fact that NCL will not cover air change fees?

Good question

There is no intel on that yet and they certainly may do so...if not at first...then eventually

I'm still concerned that they are taking bookings for a 12 day

Just shows someone is asleep at ncl

First thing they should have done was stop all bookings for the jan 16 cruises...and get the website updated....

24 hours it would have taken at most

And yes they can and should be working on weekends....all IT depts work all kinds of hours ..... This I know from firsthand experience

Yes, there were 2 day CTN between each of the 12 day cruises so they added those days to the 12 day's to make them 14.

so if the 1st of these cruises starts on Jan 3, then whats the Breakaway doing Jan 1+2?

january 17th changes.....

original arrive depart sun new york, new york 4:00 pm

mon at sea

tue at sea

wed san juan, puerto rico 3:00 pm 10:00 pm

thu st.thomas, u.s. Virgin islands 8:00 am 6:00 pm

fri tortola, british virgin islands 7:00 am 2:30 pm

sat castries, st.lucia 9:00 am 7:00 pm

sun bridgetown, barbados 8:00 am 4:00 pm

mon basseterre, st.kitts 9:00 am 6:00 pm

tue at sea

wed at sea

thu at sea

fri new york city, new york 8:00 am

revised arrive depart sun4:00 pm new york city, new york

mon at sea

tue at sea

wed san juan, puerto rico 3:00 pm10:00 am (norwegian typo there, i think)

thu st.thomas, u.s. Virgin islands 8:00 am5:00 pm

fri tortola, british virgin islands 8:00 am5:00 pm

sat philipsburg, st.maarten 8:00 am5:00 pm

sun roseau, dominica 8:00 am5:00 pm

mon bridgetown, barbados 8:00 am5:00 pm

tue fort-de-france, martinique 8:00 am5:00 pm

wed st.john's, antigua 8:00 am5:00 pm

thu at sea

fri at sea

sat at sea

sun8:00 am

love the bug..

And the point is I'd still lose money - whether it's 50%, a change fee, or having to purchase a one-way ticket home. NCL's been taking too many liberties lately....

I don't think this is a case of "taking liberties". Since CTNs are no longer permitted their options are limited.

studios and insides costs the same for all the Jan cruises! :eek:

$2k per room! sigh :(

I guess the website updated the pricing.

Nah.... The pricing for this cruise has been high since last April and maybe even before that

I did the 12 day in jan 15 and paid $2150 for all 3 of us in an inside triple which I booked in July of 2014 it was a true ksf deal and that price included tax and port I jumped on it of course

I started looking at jan 2016 on the ba in April of 2015 and the lowest I ever saw was around $2800 I believe for an inside triple and it was one of those fake ksf 3rd pax half off deals

Now the best I'm seeing on the ba is around $3300 for jan 2016

I booked the gem 10 day btw for jan 2016 for $1800 tax and port included for an inside triple

Would really have liked to book the ba 12 n but couldn't pass on $600 per person on the gem as my college kids pay their own way

I have mixed emotions about the ba going to 14 n also

On one hand it is adding great ports

But is now way to pricey at over $1000 per head for my kids to absorb and I pay their tuitions so I'm not kicking in for the higher price either

Also it really is just a bit too long for us as the kids work weekends when home from campus and the 14 day means missing too much weekend work time

But whatever regardless of 12 or 14 n....I feel the ba was overpriced this time around anyway

Whereas we got an incredible deal on the gem

We have been on both gem and ba before though and really do prefer the ba bells and whistles but will still have another great bonding time on the gem

I was really impressed on how well the 3 of us got along last year on the gem

We left dad and the 14 and 24 yo behind

Now remember my 2 college kids are not known to be the most loving toward me on a daily basis...even though the outside world thinks they are incredible beings...lol.... But we had so much fun and together bonding time on the ba 12 day that booking another cruise just for the 3 of us was a no brainer for jan 2016

I highly recommend cruising with your college kids during their January breaks.

I don't think this is a case of "taking liberties". Since CTNs are no longer permitted their options are limited.

Agree but they need to cover pax change fees.....or make night 12 a port stop in NYC

Also as posted previously...we really don't know if they actually are coving change fees yet.

Agree but they need to cover pax change fees.....or make night 12 a port stop in NYC

No they do not. Of course it would be nice for the passengers but the cruise line has no such obligation. Changes like these are what (some of) the insurances are for.

Also as posted previously...we really don't know if they actually are coving change fees yet.

Is making night 12 a port stop in NY an option?

Why would you fly from NJ to NYC?

She's probably in the Atlantic City area - that's one of the few airports in NJ that has flights to NYC-area.

Edit- Congrats to those that got their trip extended, wish I had that luck with my 12 day trip this year but cruising for 3 weeks from Miami next year makes up for it. :p

Edited by maywell

I said 2 weeks ago that this would happen and I knew your option was not going to happen, the last thing NCL wants is to disembark any passengers early and lose the money those rooms generate.

Me personally was very happy when the pitboss let me know of the changed itinerary while I was on the BA this week. I am sorry to lose St. Kitts but glad they added 2 extra ports when I was only expecting them to add one.

I said 2 weeks ago that this would happen and I knew your option was not going to happen, the last thing NCL wants is to disembark any passengers early and lose the money those rooms generate.

Me personally was very happy when the pitboss let me know of the changed itinerary while I was on the BA this week. I am sorry to lose St. Kitts but glad they added 2 extra ports when I was only expecting them to add one.

They still need to offer change fees to those who already have airfare....which they still may do as we haven't heard one way or the other

Since you seem to be on the Inside track why dont you get some confirmation as to if they are doing this

Btw my suggestion of them porting in NYC on night 12 ...while certainly not ideal....would be a very nice consideration for their pax and while 14 day Carib cruise is very nice the fact that ncl is STILL advertising and selling it as a 12 day...with no website updates....as of this morning....just shows how things are running over at ncl.....

Why don't you also ask your pit boss friend why ncl hasn't updated their website yet since this info has been out for some time now?

While I will still cruise them because I always only book Rock bottom prices and cruises that suit my needs.....and I am so well traveled that I know what to expect from any cruise line versus newbies that think they are going to be treated liked royalty. Lol

Ncl seriously looks like a fool to me at this point.

Is making night 12 a port stop in NY an option?

Apparently not at this point since they already added extra Carib ports

But IMHO they are hoping to get cancellations on the 12 day from pax that just can't be away for 14 n....of course this will then allow them to jack up the price for new bookings on the new 14 n cruise

I am all for long cruises believe me....but ncl is just being stupid/in competent now by not even updating their website...which is still selling it as a 12 n!!!!!

If you book now and buy airfare....and then find out about it being a 14 n!!!!!

It's mind boggling that ncl is not updating the website!!!!

If fdr is such a cruise Industry genius...he certainly hasn't shown it lately

I'm on a soapbox about this because it just shows how incompetent businesses....all businesses....are being run these days....

From doctors offices....to retailing...to cruise lines....and everything in between....including state and federal agencies.

Smh

Edited by luvtheships