Power strip yes or no

Okay what is the verdict? Can you pack a power strip for your cruise on RCI or will it be confiscated?

I think it depends on the type. It seems like the type with an extension cord is more likely to be denied.

We use this type and have never had a problem:

belkin-power-usb.jpg

Okay what is the verdict? Can you pack a power strip for your cruise on RCI or will it be confiscated?

No power strips.............unless they don't notice it, which is usually not the case.

I think it depends on the type. It seems like the type with an extension cord is more likely to be denied.

belkin-power-usb.jpg

This truly seems like a great suggestion....and it would take up so much less room to pack.

Honestly, we have never felt the need for the extra plugs....perhaps we just travel with less electronics or our electronics don't seem to need to be plugged in charging all at the same time.

belkin-power-usb.jpg

This is the same type / brand that was taken from me while boarding the Independence in March. I had never had an issue with it prior. Turns out that I did not need it anyway.

belkin-power-usb.jpg

I took Bob's advice and picked up two of these. They work so much better the a Power Strip. Thanks again Bob!

The verdict is {Drum roll} maybe. So pack one . I do know they do give them back at disembarkation you will pass a table with all the confiscated in the terminal somewhere. Edited by FLACRUISER99

Have taken a regular power strip on every cruise, never been questioned before but got called to the naughty room on Vision this month.

Assumed it was a bigger deal for the older ships, maybe I have just gotten lucky every other time ?

Not a huge deal but between 2 cameras for the wife (1 underwater and 1 regular) and an IPad for our son we usually have to juggle outlets if we don't have a small power strip.

Interestingly the security staff said we could ask our cabin attendant for one and they would provide an RCI approved cord for free if we wanted it.

belkin-power-usb.jpg

We bring the same one and have never had a problem. I think we use the usb slots more than the outlets anymore.

The verdict is {Drum roll} maybe. So pack one . I do know they do give them back at disembarkation you will pass a table with all the confiscated in the terminal somewhere.

Vision was returning them "in" the line to get off the ship, basically when you swiped your card to get disembark it would buzz and the whole line came to a screeching halt while they searched through a couple of boxes to dig up your item and hand it back to you.

My wife and I both use a CPAP machine for sleeping. Therefore, we need a power strip with a chord that will reach to the middle of the bed. We have taken one on every cruise we have been on and have never been questioned about it. We normally pack them in our suitcase.

I have often wondered why there are so few outlets in a cruise ship cabin. The cabins are built on a modular basis. I don't see the problem on adding a few more.

My wife and I both use a CPAP machine for sleeping. Therefore, we need a power strip with a chord that will reach to the middle of the bed. We have taken one on every cruise we have been on and have never been questioned about it. We normally pack them in our suitcase.

I have often wondered why there are so few outlets in a cruise ship cabin. The cabins are built on a modular basis. I don't see the problem on adding a few more.

That is one improvement they made with the staterooms on Oasis and Allure. They added an outlet near the bed.

If you let RCI know they will supply an extension cord and a gallon of distilled H20. Just because folks have taken power strips onboard before does not mean thew wont be confiscated on a future trip.

Not supposed to. I read an article somewhere about why... Something to do with ship's wiring being different than household wiring. So there is a real safety risk involved here, not just a convenience factor.

Like most other things you aren't supposed to smuggle on board, just because others have got away with it doesn't mean *you* won't get caught.

As others have said, there is a also a difference between a power strip and an extension cord. If you need an extension cord for some reason (like a CPAP as another poster said), the safest thing to do is arrange ahead of time to be sure they put one in your room.

I'm sure it comes down to dollars and cents when they're building these cruise ships....especially the big ones. Just like construction on terra firma, outlets and their subsequent wiring cost money. I don't know for sure, but I'll bet that if they doubled the number of outlets per stateroom, there would be a significant cost involved. Plus, you need the power production capabilities to supply all of those extra outlets....

Have taken a regular power strip on every cruise, never been questioned before but got called to the naughty room on Vision this month.

Assumed it was a bigger deal for the older ships, maybe I have just gotten lucky every other time ?

Not a huge deal but between 2 cameras for the wife (1 underwater and 1 regular) and an IPad for our son we usually have to juggle outlets if we don't have a small power strip.

Interestingly the security staff said we could ask our cabin attendant for one and they would provide an RCI approved cord for free if we wanted it.

We had two cameras (1 underwater, 1 DSLR), my Kindle, and my wife's phone on Freedom. The underwater got charged every night. My Kindle and DSLR would get charged during the day (we were using the underwater and I didn't bring my Kindle out). DW used a separate outlet for her phone.

I was on Jewel in June and Oasis in 2011. I had a regular power strip in my carry on both times and never had a problem. We left it on the desk to plug in our phones, iPads, and camera chargers.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Well according to the list of prohibited items, it's extension cords that aren't allowed. I don't consider a power strip that plugs directly into an outlet (sans cord) an extension cord. But I suppose it's open to interpretation.

I too have brought a power strip without issue, though I didn't end IP needing it. It was in the same bag as my travel iron (I didn't know), which was confiscated and now lives with the many unclaimed items forgotten at the NJ cruise terminal. [emoji37]

If you have it currently tagged as electrically safe they should allow you to use it

But that would be a tag less than 3 months old in general

Some do get away with

It

But having seen what can happen with a bad board would not risk it

Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums