NCL boots Joan Rivers after kidnapping joke

She is a comedian and this is what she does. No she is not politically correct, makes no apologies, and that is what I like about her. I'll take Joan along with Kathy Griffin and Lisa Lamanelli as well. My faves! They are not bland, PC, watered down, g-rated, family-friendly cruise ship comedians. YAWN. Frankly Joan Rivers is WAY above performing on some cruise ship anyway.

If NCL had done their homework they would have well known what style of comedian Joan Rivers is. She is raunchy. Shame on them if they just figured it out.

Hopefully Joan gets paid anyway by NCL, and I'm sure she does if a contract was signed. Not that she needs the money, she is doing better than ever with her various shows and businesses.

Totally agree, she's way above NCL

If you think joan is bad try lisa lampinelli or gilbert gottfried sometime. Shes got a clean mouth compared to them...it was a joke, get over it.

I wonder if anyone had the same outrage when NBC bombed a chicago marathon and used the hashtag #chicagostrong on their primetime cop and fire shows this week. No? Thats a lot more offensive to me then a mildly offensive joke about the living.

There are very few truly great comedians anymore.

I guess I'm showing my age, but intelligent comics like Bob Newhart, Richard Pryor, and Richard Jeni (my favourite) seen to have disappeared.

I've never been a PC type of person, I just find the jokes from Joan Rivers, Gottfried, Lampinelli, Burr etc to lack anything more than a one liner shock joke. Not that I find them offensive, just not entertaining. I found the Boston Bruins fan tweets this week more offensive than anything Joan Rivers has said.

But that's just me.

The news report said she was going to lecture on an Alaska cruise. Gotta wonder what that was gonna be about. Second City folks will tell you she was a lousy team player when it came to improv, preferring to get laughs at the expense of the "yes and" format used.

Anyone surprised by the Joan Rivers kidnapping joke and the NCL jokes hasn't seen a Joan Rivers act in 10 years..

Whoever booked her has not seen her act then!! The women is 80 yrs old and as sharp as ever and also know for jokes that cross over the line! A terrible terrible situation I agree but this is what she does..If the marketing department is so scared that should not have booked her in the first place!

Does anyone under the age of 40 or 50 even know who Joan Rivers was? Yes, the past tense is deliberate.

QUOTE]

Well you obviously have no idea the following Rivers has. Ever heard of E! ?

I just wonder who the genius at NCL was that thought Rivers was the right spokesperson for them?

This stunt says a lot more about NCL than Rivers. What were they thinking? This stuff is exactly what she is known for since the 1960's.

[

QUOTE]

Well you obviously have no idea the following Rivers has. Ever heard of E! ?

I just wonder who the genius at NCL was that thought Rivers was the right spokesperson for them?

This stunt says a lot more about NCL than Rivers. What were they thinking? This stuff is exactly what she is known for since the 1960's.

I agree with you totally. The guy who came up with the idea is the one who should be canned.

She is not my favorite comedian, but JR is JR. She does what she does. She also seems to be very beloved in the entertainment industry, so she is not what her entertainment persona is. Anyone see Celebrity Apprentice the season she won? She has my respect. When they were running down the list of candidates at NCL, it would not take a genius to figure out what kind of comedy she does.

Joan will be laughing herself all the way to the bank, I am sure, while the rest of the country wonders why NCL would want to make themselves look like idiots.

Edited by punkincc

There are very few truly great comedians anymore.

I guess I'm showing my age, but intelligent comics like Bob Newhart, Richard Pryor, and Richard Jeni (my favourite) seen to have disappeared.

I've never been a PC type of person, I just find the jokes from Joan Rivers, Gottfried, Lampinelli, Burr etc to lack anything more than a one liner shock joke.

^^ This.

What I love about Joan and comedians like her is that anyone and anything is fair game. They are not PC and that is refreshing.

"Not PC" does not make it all right to make a vicious joke. Making fun of those 3 women? Who even thinks of going there?

What is the world was NCL thinking? Joan has been this type of comedian since the 60's. Many don't like her - I do - there's no one safe within her jokes. NCL should have never entered into an agreement with her. Or at least done some homework prior.

Good riddance!

Why they would even book such a obnoxious, viperous, classless no talent like that is beyond comprehension.

I would flat out refuse to be on a ship with her even on it.

NCL insults their passengers intelligence with the likes of that.

My opinion and I am entitled to it.

No morals nor scruples nor class.....ish....ish....ish.

1st it was a JOKE

2nd it was a joke about cruise line cabin size which EVERYONE knows are on the small side it was not a joke about kidnapping

3rd It was FUNNY!

4th we all know the comedy of Joan Rivers

5th Thin skinned people will always find a reason to be offended

6th if this joke got you that riled up you need to get a freaking life

Edited by OCMS Fan

1st it was a JOKE

2nd it was a joke about cruise line cabin size which EVERYONE knows are on the small side it was not a joke about kidnapping

3rd It was FUNNY!

+1

Go back and listen to the clip; she didn't "make fun of the girls..."

She made an overtly ridiculous comparison to the size of the room she was staying in to a widely publicized and well known / recent story of captivity.

Was it in bad taste? Yup. But who cares? It's a joke. (Just bc you don't find it funny doesn't mean it's not a joke)

"Eventually, we'll just sit around and nod at each other so that we don't offend anyone."

At the end of the day, NCL can do what they please. But the phony outrage that major media outlets are manufacturing is really what's despicable here. Based on what they are saying you'd think she's advocating for the kidnapping and rape of girls all over the country.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

1st it was a JOKE

3rd It was FUNNY!

Slow down there! We're offended by the joke she told about the girls who escaped from the kidnapper in Cleveland. Perhaps, you heard about it??? They were kidnapped and held as sexual prisoners for 10 years! That's not funny nor will ever be funny. If you think it's funny, you need to get a life.

1st it was a JOKE

3rd It was FUNNY!

Sorry, but that has to be one of the most ignorant posts I have ever read.

This was not a joke about some celebrity getting drunk and stupid in public which we all can laugh at even if it is a little offensive. This joke is at the expense of three young women who were brutally tortured and raped over a decade and who were thought to be dead by their families.

I have one of the thickest skins you will ever find, and while I can't say that I lie awake at night feeling offended by the "joke", I can understand how people do feel offended by it. As for getting a life, these girls endured complete hell for 10 years and are lucky to have a life now. I personally don't find anything about their experiences funny.

Good for her for not apologizing. Far too often, people say things intentionally that are either true and/or funny and then wimp out and 'apologize' when a small minority complain about it. She knew it was a bit edgy and possibly 'offensive', so don't bow to pressure and 'apologize' for something you aren't sorry for.

OMG did you guys even really listen or read the JOKE? Just in case you didn't.

she explained what it was like crashing in her daughter Melissa River's guest room.

"Those women in the basement in Cleveland had more space," she said.

More space she said!! Never said the living condition where better or good etc. It was a Joke! A lot of people laughed I guess they should be banned from the cruise line. Ncl should have known darn well what she is about!. She has said a lot worse then this JOKE in the past which I am sure Ncl knows. Ncl is just doing this as a publicity/$ stunt no more.

She is a comedian I guess people don't understand what a comedian is. I feel extremely bad for this girls who have gone through something so bad/traumatic that there are no words to describe how awful it was/is. But all Joan did was say staying at her daughters house in the guest room was very tiny and had no very little if any space!.

I do understand why some could be upset when they first hear Joan's joke but if you just take a second to read what was said you would realize what the JOKE was really about. She never meant any harm. She does not need to apologies

good for her for not apologizing. Far too often, people say things intentionally that are either true and/or funny and then wimp out and 'apologize' when a small minority complain about it. She knew it was a bit edgy and possibly 'offensive', so don't bow to pressure and 'apologize' for something you aren't sorry for.

like!

OMG did you guys even really listen or read the JOKE? Just in case you didn't.

she explained what it was like crashing in her daughter Melissa River's guest room.

"Those women in the basement in Cleveland had more space," she said.

More space she said!! Never said the living condition where better or good etc. It was a Joke! A lot of people laughed I guess they should be banned from the cruise line. Ncl should have known darn well what she is about!. She has said a lot worse then this JOKE in the past which I am sure Ncl knows. Ncl is just doing this as a publicity/$ stunt no more.

She is a comedian I guess people don't understand what a comedian is. I feel extremely bad for this girls who have gone through something so bad/traumatic that there are no words to describe how awful it was/is. But all Joan did was say staying at her daughters house in the guest room was very tiny and had no very little if any space!.

I do understand why some could be upset when they first hear Joan's joke but if you just take a second to read what was said you would realize what the JOKE was really about. She never meant any harm. She does not need to apologies

I can see how some think it is in bad taste. But you are right, the joke was NOT about the victims in the kidnapping case. The joke was about her. Joan definitely goes after everyone but she also attacks herself as the #1 punch line.

People still laugh at OJ Simpson jokes and 2 people were brutally murdered. Joan is Jewish and sometimes brings Holocaust references into her jokes too.

I think NCL is just a bag of BS that conforms to a society where everything has to be PC

They knew what they were getting before her joke about the kidnapped girls.

This should have been nothing knew to NCL and if it was shame on their stupidity.

Do I think that joke and many others of hers are inappropriate

YES

But for NCL to cancel just makes me laugh

I am not a fan of her humor and find it mean sometimes. However, she is a comedienne who has made her way for 1,000 years ( okay, okay 100) in this business by being mean, crass and offensive. That is her humor. Always has been. It was ridiculous of NCL to partner with her then get mad that she said something offensive and inappropriate. Pick a safe celebrity then in the first place. Firing her was silly.

Edited by conandrob240

You know it was a BAD joke when the four people sitting across from her looked shocked when Joan Rivers ignorantly said it. Heck even her daughter got a look like "oh crap Mom, you shouldn't have said that."

Heck even her daughter got a look like "oh crap Mom, you shouldn't have said that."

Yeah! She knew about freedom of speech. Also the repercutions that come from freedom of speech.

I personally could give a rats a** what her joke was. It was a joke. Crass perhaps, not at all in good taste. That's what she does, NCL and anyone else who books her should know her style. The thing about jokes are that they are jokes. Someone is going to be the Butt of a joke. A lot of times thin skinned folk protest. Alas... JR did not mention any thing about the horrible treatment them poor women recieved, other than living in a small room.

JR isn't the devil, she is just making a living doing what she does. Making offensive remarks and bad jokes. She has gotten rich, so it has done her well as a living.

By the way, I cannot stand the woman. NCL should have known who they were hiring.