1st cruise booked.....first problem ....

Abylsma

This was my first time booking a cruise.

I decided to finally surprise my wife with a cruise for our anniversary. I spent days comparing different lines, ships and ports and finally booked the Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas departing January 21st. I booked it back in February and paid in full. I just received an email last week stating they cancelled our cruise due to maintenance. They said we can rebook a different cruise with the same balcony suite and the would give us $300 OBC. I haven't found one we would like yet. $300 doesn't seem like a lot sense we have babysitter lined up, hotel lined up and time off work? Has anybody been in this situation???? I read one thread where they offered them 100% refund plus they could rebook any other date for free but that was in 2015...any thoughts????

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

That is really nice you booked a cruise for your anniversary.

Yes -- we have been notified a few times that our cruise was cancelled for various reasons.

We given a choice of a few cruises to select from. We did get shipboard credit -- the amount on HAL usually depends on the cabin category that is booked. Fortunately we are retired and could change dates. We also buy refundable airline tickets. Since we stay mostly at one hotel and know many workers there, we have been able to change dates and still get the room we want.

One thing we do -- make final payment when it is due. We never pay off a cruise before we have to.

If you booked through a TA (we have been fortunate to have had one for over 26 years) -- he/she should go to bat for you and help get another cruise for you with more shipboard credit.

Let us know what you decide.

Per the contract, they don't have to offer anything, I think NCL offers $50 OBC and a certain amount for flight changes (not much). Cruises get canceled for a variety of reasons, charters, maintenance- usually more than 6 months in advance. If you decide to just cancel, you will get a full refund.

This was my first time booking a cruise.

I decided to finally surprise my wife with a cruise for our anniversary. I spent days comparing different lines, ships and ports and finally booked the Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas departing January 21st. I booked it back in February and paid in full. I just received an email last week stating they cancelled our cruise due to maintenance. They said we can rebook a different cruise with the same balcony suite and the would give us $300 OBC. I haven't found one we would like yet. $300 doesn't seem like a lot sense we have babysitter lined up, hotel lined up and time off work? Has anybody been in this situation???? I read one thread where they offered them 100% refund plus they could rebook any other date for free but that was in 2015...any thoughts????

How about the Oasis? Would that work for you.:)

Better offers generally occur when the cancellation is closer to the sailing date and the perceived level of hassle to rebook everything is greater. They figure you have more time to alter your plans so have offered less. As others noted there is no advantage to have paid off in full early.

Typically the higher credit offers tend to be for cruises that were cancelled on very short notice or interrupted and cancelled once en route. A cruise cancelled with the notice you have avoided any financial loss or penalty you would incur and allows plenty of time to rebook another itinerary.

IMO the OBC is generous as a gesture for the frustration you feel. Hotels and babysitter arrangements can be cancelled and rebooked without penalty as well, so while it is frustrating you are not going to suffer any financial loss with that. Hopefully you can find other dates for your time off as well.

The reason for the cancellation is legitimate and unavoidable and with plenty of notice to be able to make other plans. As a result, while cancellations are disappointing and frustrating, I think you have been treated fairly. Oasis class ships are quite unique and well worth the experience. Hopefully you will find an itinerary that works for you.

BTW, as others have asked, why if you booked last February did you pay in full? Final payment would not have been due until October. Just curious.

BTW, as others have asked, why if you booked last February did you pay in full? Final payment would not have been due until October. Just curious.

It could be, since it was a surprise, OP had to pay when he had the money that was not in her view. For example, if she pays the bills, she is going to notice when $3000 goes missing. My DH always saved up his per diem and used it to pay for gifts for me like if I said, oh oh I want that. He had the money and it didn't come out of the family budget. Or it could be that he wanted it to be a real surprise. I always pay in cash when I book it. I don't see much difference in paying now or paying later. It's not like that 0.05% interest is going to add up to that much money.

Since you have plans made & probably air look for other ships leaving the same day from Ft Lauderdale or Miami

If you can get a full refund choose a different line if not see what RCCL has in your time frame

good luck

One thing we do -- make final payment when it is due. We never pay off a cruise before we have to.

It's not a bad idea to keep your money longer, but even if you pay in full months ahead of time you can get it back as long as it's before the date that penalties start to apply. Typically that date coincides with the deadline for final payment but making the payment early doesn't affect whether you can get a refund.

I would be open for the Oasis one.

You can just switch to the Oasis, sailing on January 21st, Western Caribbean.

Use that OBC for the spa!

Allure is the sister ship to the Oasis and they are pretty much the same.

The shows are fabulous. :)

Since you have plans made & probably air look for other ships leaving the same day from Ft Lauderdale or Miami

If you can get a full refund choose a different line if not see what RCCL has in your time frame

good luck

OP didn't mention air, so not sure that is a concern. And as RCI canceled the cruise a full refund is assured. (It was also canceled 5 months in advance of the sailing and 2 months prior to final payment date).

Edited by leaveitallbehind

The $300 OBC offer is quite generous for a canceled cruise this far out .

Closer in (like after the cruise official Final Payment date ) is where you may see the refund with real great offers to rebook.

As stated , OP's paid full in advance status does not get anymore of an incentive than most others that just have a deposit , receiving the OBC offer to rebook , as it is refundable .

Hope OP can choose something else from RCI to get the OBC?