Bouillon in the mid-morning?

Lakesregion

Following along with sorting through all of the cruise ship memorabilia, I am wondering if there is any where on board any of the present queens where one can obtain mid-morning bouillon?

When we speak of cut backs - where have the hall boys gone. They used to be a hall boy at the end of every cabin corridor. It was his job to polish shoes set out at night and to respond to calls after the stewards had gone for the evening.

The Red caped bell men who greeted you at the entrance and took your carry bag and showed you to your cabin.

Live music in all of the dining rooms at dinner.

Full formal on all sea days

Lingonberry pancakes in the Queens Grill for breakfast.

The passenger list provided to all passengers so they might notice if friends were on board.

Daily dinner menus in tasseled heavy board covers for taking home.

Just a few cut backs fondly thought of.

Following along with sorting through all of the cruise ship memorabilia, I am wondering if there is any where on board any of the present queens where one can obtain mid-morning bouillon?

When we speak of cut backs - where have the hall boys gone. They used to be a hall boy at the end of every cabin corridor. It was his job to polish shoes set out at night and to respond to calls after the stewards had gone for the evening.

The Red caped bell men who greeted you at the entrance and took your carry bag and showed you to your cabin.

The passenger list provided to all passengers so they might notice if friends were on board.

I have not seen it on offer since I was on Caronia in 2003 they it was in the Lido served with dry cream crackers.

Edited by Lanky Lad

The last time I saw Bouillon was on QM2 transatlantic November 2010.

No trolly service along deck seven, however, it was often available for self service at the 'Terrace Pool Bar' ( a corner of the bar top)

The use to make it available from 11am, one canister/boiler only, but when it was empty it was finished .....and that was usually by about 11.20am .

Never seen it since :(

One can request Bouillon & receive it in the Grills. We got it on the Grills deck(QM2)in late 2010. As to the Lingonberry pancakes in the Grills..Again ask for it. Probably best to request it the day before.

Huh. This makes me "homesick" for days I never knew. Hall boys? Shoes shined? Caped bell men? No, not for me on any of the four Cunard ships I know now.

Used to be QE2 waiters from dinning rooms were at hand upon boarding to accompany you to cabins. Often passengers knew the way better than they. Remember when one was a passenger, not a guest? From '82 to death QE2 did morning bouillon at ll am. I would have it in the Pavillion, under the Lido, in the Lido, and up on "death row" on Heli Deck. I recall live music and floors for dancing at dinner some evenings, but believe by mid-80s that ended. As well, the packets of dinner menus stopped, as well as passenger lists, although on QE2 I could always get one from a friendly bartender. None of it carried over to the new QM2. Although in Grill you could ask for almost anything and it'd be brought. Even now. But neither room lends itself to dancing. You might get your shoes done on Nine Deck, but it is iffy, no matter the brochure copy. It always is a one-to-one thing 'tween passenger and staff, depending upon who you ask. Many will make a point to go find your wish. Others will tell you we don't have it, rather than we don't do that, and don't think to ask me to do it.

Bouillon, sometimes, is available in the QM2 Kings Court venue, but don't count on it easily around ship. But going to a metal urn and drawing your own isn't quite the morning-bouillon idea. Same with no luxe carryovers to the new Victoria and Elizabeth. And goodbye to full formal evenings on a crossing. Lingonberry? Unless you're in a Swedish forest, you night find some jam on board, pancakes, even, if they've been loaded when last in port. Again, new-management economic thinking, why a lingo when a straw will do, berries are berries. Sad. Coffee stirrers? Used to be wooden, round Cunard crest imprint in red. That changed to smaller plastic ones, a side imprint. Those changed to plain thin plastic. Paper cocktail napkins, logo of ship, changed to Cunard corporate imprint. Which isn't Cunard thinking, but Carnival. Still, for Carnival, we do have the three ships. And sometimes live music an hour or two in dinning rooms. Somehow smaller note pads, lighter paper, less sheets, smaller turn-down chocolates, the this-and-that of Carnival economy, must be borne with. Better that than not have the ships at all?

Huh. This makes me "homesick" for days I never knew. Hall boys? Shoes shined? Caped bell men? No, not for me on any of the four Cunard ships I know now.

Used to be QE2 waiters from dinning rooms were at hand upon boarding to accompany you to cabins. Often passengers knew the way better than they. Remember when one was a passenger, not a guest? From '82 to death QE2 did morning bouillon at ll am. I would have it in the Pavillion, under the Lido, in the Lido, and up on "death row" on Heli Deck. I recall live music and floors for dancing at dinner some evenings, but believe by mid-80s that ended. As well, the packets of dinner menus stopped, as well as passenger lists, although on QE2 I could always get one from a friendly bartender. None of it carried over to the new QM2. Although in Grill you could ask for almost anything and it'd be brought. Even now. But neither room lends itself to dancing. You might get your shoes done on Nine Deck, but it is iffy, no matter the brochure copy. It always is a one-to-one thing 'tween passenger and staff, depending upon who you ask. Many will make a point to go find your wish. Others will tell you we don't have it, rather than we don't do that, and don't think to ask me to do it.

Bouillon, sometimes, is available in the QM2 Kings Court venue, but don't count on it easily around ship. But going to a metal urn and drawing your own isn't quite the morning-bouillon idea. Same with no luxe carryovers to the new Victoria and Elizabeth. And goodbye to full formal evenings on a crossing. Lingonberry? Unless you're in a Swedish forest, you night find some jam on board, pancakes, even, if they've been loaded when last in port. Again, new-management economic thinking, why a lingo when a straw will do, berries are berries. Sad. Coffee stirrers? Used to be wooden, round Cunard crest imprint in red. That changed to smaller plastic ones, a side imprint. Those changed to plain thin plastic. Paper cocktail napkins, logo of ship, changed to Cunard corporate imprint. Which isn't Cunard thinking, but Carnival. Still, for Carnival, we do have the three ships. And sometimes live music an hour or two in dinning rooms. Somehow smaller note pads, lighter paper, less sheets, smaller turn-down chocolates, the this-and-that of Carnival economy, must be borne with. Better that than not have the ships at all?

These wonderful memories of others' years gone by also make me wish I could have enjoyed the golden age of ocean travel. :(

I will point out that HAL does still offer complimentary shoe shine service in ALL levels of accommodations though. Also, they still have capped "bell boys" in the smart red HAL livery stationed in the MDRs to show you to your seat. Not quite the same as showing one to one's stateroom but it is a nice touch that does make one feel like the days of old are still remembered.

During the QE2's last east-bound transatlantic I made it a point to go up to the "fishbowl", grab one of the few remaining steamer rugs, and enjoy a cup of beef tea. Finding a chair, and a deck steward with a cup of the bouillon was not difficult; finding one of the rugs was!

Edited by Calliope

During the QE2's last east-bound transatlantic I made it a point to go up to the "fishbowl", grab one of the few remaining steamer rugs, and enjoy a cup of beef tea. Finding a chair, and a deck steward with a cup of the bouillon was not difficult; finding one of the rugs was!

Frank, Just seeing the words "beef tea" conjure up wonderful memories of the legendary Dennis Dawson on Heli Deck. A mug of beef tea was always available on QE2 and served with style. Even on the Italian liners I sailed in the mid seventies - Raffaello and Michelangelo - bouillon was always available on deck, as well as platters of club sandwiches.

Frank, Just seeing the words "beef tea" conjure up wonderful memories of the legendary Dennis Dawson on Heli Deck. A mug of beef tea was always available on QE2 and served with style. Even on the Italian liners I sailed in the mid seventies - Raffaello and Michelangelo - bouillon was always available on deck, as well as platters of club sandwiches.

Thanks for mentioning Dennis. He and his crew ran the sundeck wonderfully. Always checking to see if you needed anything or to re tuck the steamer rug under your feet. I still have one of those rugs he gave me on one of his last crossings.

Thanks for mentioning Dennis. He and his crew ran the sundeck wonderfully. Always checking to see if you needed anything or to re tuck the steamer rug under your feet. I still have one of those rugs he gave me on one of his last crossings.

Dennis! Ah, that name brings up memories. He was the living definition of "curmudgeon," but he did it with his own brand of charm. And then Roger took over, and then Martin. Such good service. Bouillon at 11, afternoon tea at 3:30. It was supposed to be at 4, but Dennis was impatient and started serving early. One of our first tasks upon boarding QE2 was to go up to sun deck and reserve chairs. We never minded having a little cabin with just a porthole. Why sit there when for a very small fee we could have our own chairs for the duration of the cruise!

I just returned from the QM2 and there is live music at dinner in the Britannia. Either the harpist or the strings and being seated nearby we prayed each night for their quitting time, approx. 7 pm. We could barely converse at our table over the "noise". This strings groups chose lively and loud music and it was a relief to see them packing up their instruments.

Edited by lannp

I just returned from the QM2 and there is live music at dinner in the Britannia. Either the harpist or the strings and being seated nearby we prayed each night for their quitting time, approx. 7 pm. We could barely converse at our table over the "noise". This strings groups chose lively and loud music and it was a relief to see them packing up their instruments.

I once made the mistake of asking the "singer" in the Golden Lion on QM2 to please turn down the volume. He laughed at me and got even louder. I complained to the CD but nothing was done. Over amplified "music" seems to be the norm everywhere these days. I guess I could put in the plugs and listen to my music on my phone but what is wrong with a quiet dining/conversation venue?:eek::D