email recvd from ccl on zika in GT

cruzn buckeye

just got an email from Carnival stating that Zika is now in Grand Turk.

this is one of our stops on our cruise next month. My granddaughter is 25, not pregnant, not planning to be, but has a one and two year old at home. They are living with me currently.

If by some reason, either of us would contract this virus, can the children get it from us?

I am 60 and have read on another thread that two people that are older, got this virus and died here in the US.

Should I be concerned? Should we stay on the ship in GT? I love this island , and it will be her first time there. I hate to miss it... but... her and my grandsons health come first..

From what I understand about Zica, it only remains in the bloodstream approximately 3 days and most people have no symptons at all. I can't see even if you or your daughter did get infected, it would affect the children as it would be out of your system before you got home. And, they have not mentioned Zika being a threat to children, mostly a threat to unborn children whose mother's got infected. I realize there are dangers but I also think it is being blown out of proportion. I live in florida so, believe me, we are being bombarded daily with info.

Pat

You do know that mosquitoes fly right ? Staying on board makes no difference.

Mosquitoes don't fly far. The chance of encountering one on-board is pretty slim.

Honestly if they stay at the port their chances of running into mosquitoes are pretty slim.

Mosquitoes don't fly far. The chance of encountering one on-board is pretty slim.

Honestly if they stay at the port their chances of running into mosquitoes are pretty slim.

I read somewhere they don't fly high as in height. But whats to say they don't hitch a ride on a body and right into the lower portion of the ship.

which reminds me of an old song.

There's a skeeter on my meter knock him off. There's a skeeter on my meter knock him off. There' a dozen on my cousin ,can't you hear them f / buggers buzzin :D

The Aedes mosquito is mainly a feeder at dawn and dusk. Use your bug spray and you should be fine.

Also, it is time for a basic virology lesson. Viruses are a special breed of microorganism. They all reproduce by attaching their DNA into a cell and then taking over the cell. While we all recover from most viral infections, a bit of that viral DNA is permanently incorporated into our DNA. Most will never bother us again, but some can lie dormant for years and reappear when we are physically weakened (i.e; shingles). So while the viruses will only be found for about a week in the bloodstream, that virus will be part of your DNA forever.

In any case, anyone infected will most likely have only mild flu like symptoms if any at all.

This would include the children. They are more likely to develop what I refer to as "kennel cough," that URI that some child always boards with, attends the children's program and spreads the cold to every child and their parents and then on to any one unfortunate enough to be around the hacking and sneezing.

From what I understand about Zica, it only remains in the bloodstream approximately 3 days and most people have no symptons at all.

Pat

If that's the case, why are they telling people to stay away from Zika areas if you want to get pregnant in the next 6 months. I've even heard of the next two years. This is for both men and women. :eek:

So much misinformation out there and on this thread which is why people get freaked out.

The mosquito that carries the zika virus is NOT active only during dawn and dusk. It is a daytime mosquito that is most active during the daylight hours so basically all day.

If you are not pregnant or planning to become pregnant there is no real risk.

Most that get it don't even know they have it. Hence what has happened in Miami. The count went from 2 to 14-15 people only because they went around the neighborhood testing people. Those people had no symptoms. And if you were to get symptoms they are flu like and pass within a few days.

The zika virus has been found in all but 3 of the contiguous states.

Again bad information.

Florida is the only state, specifically miami dade area, that has any local transmission meaning people got zika from local mosquitos. Anyone in any other state got it from traveling to an affected area.

To the op please read the cdc website for accurate information.

From what I understand about Zica, it only remains in the bloodstream approximately 3 days and most people have no symptons at all. I can't see even if you or your daughter did get infected, it would affect the children as it would be out of your system before you got home. And, they have not mentioned Zika being a threat to children, mostly a threat to unborn children whose mother's got infected. I realize there are dangers but I also think it is being blown out of proportion. I live in florida so, believe me, we are being bombarded daily with info.

Pat

Incorrect.

There have been people that have shown the virus in their system three months after being infected. The WHO recommends waiting six months to get pregnant if either partner has been infected and 8 weeks if either has been to an affected area.

The map graphic in this news story shows which states have reported cases of Zika (the info is from the CDC) as of 8/3/2016:

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2016/08/05/zika-arrives-in-us-debunking-top-myths-about-virus.html

Reported cases does not equal local transmission and that is an important distinction. Only Miami dade in Florida has had local transmission.

Reported cases does not equal local transmission and that is an important distinction. Only Miami dade in Florida has had local transmission.

True, but the person above who stated it's been "found" in all but three states of the contiguous 48 did not specify it was locally transmitted. Perhaps the word "found" is a little vague - "reported" might be a better term. :confused:

Edited by joepeka

The pre-caution is because they are still researching Zika. Right now the research states that once Zika virus is out of you system it is safe to become pregnant.

Not that I plan to get pregnant (not even dating anyone), but I am still taking some pre-caution. Get a repellent with a high deet level like off woods. Also we got a spray for our clothes for when we are in Honduras as one of our excursions is in the mangroves.

Also the time of year effects mosquitos and how many are out and biting.

Mosquitos do not fly in very wide areas. Aka they stay in one small area.

Zika is already in south Florida. This happened because infected people from other countries brought it back and then got bite from a local mosquito and .....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can I ask where you are finding your information?? All but THREE of the contiguous states???

Since all but 3 states have verified zika infections in their population (from travel related infection), those individuals can cause the infection to be spread locally.

http://www.cdc.gov/zika/geo/united-states.html

Since all but 3 states have verified zika infections in their population (from travel related infection), those individuals can cause the infection to be spread locally.

http://www.cdc.gov/zika/geo/united-states.html

I could walk out my door and be hit by a bus. Of course it COULD spread but it hasn't as of now. Anything is possible that doesn't mean it will happen.

I am 31 weeks pregnant and I live in Flordia. I am not concerned. But I read official information from the CDC and the WHO and don't get sucked into the false information that is spread all over the Internet.

Edited by BeachChik

This would include the children. They are more likely to develop what I refer to as "kennel cough," that URI that some child always boards with, attends the children's program and spreads the cold to every child and their parents and then on to any one unfortunate enough to be around the hacking and sneezing.

This is more scary than Zika. Kids on board cruise ships are more dangerous than any Mosquito.

If you plan on getting pregnant, I would worry about Zika. But you are more likely to get sick from the little rugrats running around the ship touching and sneezing on everything at the buffet, wiping there noses on there hands and touching every handrail and glass at the drink station.

Zika is nothing to be worried about unless you are a childbearing age women with plans (or sometimes, unplanned) to get pregnant.

I would be contacting my doctor and my pediatrician instead of asking on a social media website.

Why on earth would anyone trust 100% in answers given here? It's the same way with legal questions.

P.S. - I'm not a doctor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so . . . :rolleyes: