Favorites in Red Ginger, Jacques, Polo Grill and Toscana

FEMH

I know food likes and dislikes are very subjective, but I'd like to get the opinions of all you seasoned Oceania cruisers.

What are your personal favorites in Red Ginger, Jacques, Polo Grill and Toscana? The Grand Dining Room too, if you want to chime in on that.

I sail on Marina to the Baltic on June 17, 2015 (my first cruise on Oceania).

Thanks in advance.

Thank you FEMH, I was wanting to know the same thing. I know that I will have no problem finding something delicious that I will love but I hate to pass by on some dish that is a sleeper. Love my eats.

My favorites changed from our first to our second cruise. On our first cruise, in order of preference:

Jacques

Red Ginger

Polo

Toscana

Second cruise:

Jacques

Polo

Toscana

Red Ginger

We dined in Grand Dining Room once on our first cruise (for lunch) and did not return. On our second cruise we had breakfast there several times (love the atmosphere)

Almost do not want to comment on the Terrace Café as we had some dreadful items and experiences there. However, if you get food from Waves and take it inside the Terrace Café - you can get a great meal (the best being the surf and turf sandwich without the bread - no turf - double surf served with excellent French fries:)

Okay, I'll bite.

Red Ginger is our least favorite but that is because we prefer Szechuan, not "Asian fusion". But having said that, when Jancruz set up a pre-ordered dinner for 8 it was wonderful.

Our favorite is Jacques. Love the leg of lamb and filet, and go nuts for the mussels -- but you have to order those early in the cruise because they tend to run out. I suppose that wouldn't happen if your itinerary allows them to get more in a port. (When we docked in Bar Harbor last May they just about bought out the supply.)

We like Polo more than Toscana, in general, but will do one meal a cruise in them. I love the prime rib in Polo and the veal chop in Toscana.

We happen to be fans of the GDR -- many are not. While we've had an occasional slow-service or not so good meal, in general we find it high quality (on all ships) and we like the daily change of menu which you do NOT get with the specialty restaurants.

And Terrace has lots of choices as well.

We like them all!

Mura

Okay, I'll bite.

Red Ginger is our least favorite but that is because we prefer Szechuan, not "Asian fusion". But having said that, when Jancruz set up a pre-ordered dinner for 8 it was wonderful.

Our favorite is Jacques. Love the leg of lamb and filet, and go nuts for the mussels -- but you have to order those early in the cruise because they tend to run out. I suppose that wouldn't happen if your itinerary allows them to get more in a port. (When we docked in Bar Harbor last May they just about bought out the supply.)

We like Polo more than Toscana, in general, but will do one meal a cruise in them. I love the prime rib in Polo and the veal chop in Toscana.

We happen to be fans of the GDR -- many are not. While we've had an occasional slow-service or not so good meal, in general we find it high quality (on all ships) and we like the daily change of menu which you do NOT get with the specialty restaurants.

And Terrace has lots of choices as well.

We like them all!

Mura

Now, that tip about the mussels is very important to me, so thanks for that, Mura! I am going to try to book Jacques early in our cruise while we are still sailing in Canada. I really want those mussels!

Thanks to the OP for starting the thread....it is great for those of us trying O for the first time.

Keep those tips coming!

I was astonished when I ate at Red Ginger! Not only visually lovely but I actually tried the Duck and Watermelon salad. And loved it so much I had it served in our suite another night. Others may think this unremarkable but I HATE watermelon - with a passion! It was so wonderful paired with the duck...

One night in the GDR there was Châteaubriand with Béarnaise sauce on the menu and it is one of our favourites so we ordered it. Hoping it would be OK. It was more than that! It was simply the best we have ever eaten - anywhere, anytime. The meat was perfectly cooked (we like ours saignant and it was) and the sauce delicious. My husband asked for more. (well he can eat that sauce on toast...)

GDR is a favourite of ours for breakfast and lunch too,

I too dislike watermelon, but because it was so recommended, had the duck & watermelon salad in Red Ginger and absolutely.... loved it! Also would recommend the Miso Glazed Chilean Sea Bass in Red Ginger.

The MDR had beef Wellington one night with Maidera sauce and it was better then I make myself (yes, I love to cook) with a tender, flaky crust (not a dense doughy pie crust and also not the puff pastry you're used to either) and tenderloin that absolutely melted in your mouth.

Be sure to go to the 4PM teas and DON'T FILL UP there, but be sure to have one of their daily crepes, like crepes Suzzettes, or crepes pineapple that they make with real liquor and fresh squeezed lemons/oranges while you watch.

The "sides" at Polo (and you can get some of the same ones elsewhere on the ship) like the potatoes au gratin, and the creamed spinch (thought I detected just a hint of nutmeg in them...) were so oustanding that they deserve mention along with the entrees.

It's like France, "it's hard to find a bad meal" on Oceania.

I didn't expect to like Red Ginger but it was terrific. Loved the beef teriyaki over rice.

My favorite restaurant is Toscano which compares very favorably to the Battali restaurants in NYC. I've loved everything there and for the first time I found out why people love Biscotti. Oceania serves warm fresh biscotti. Oceania has fabulous bread throughout the ship but their focaccia bread in Toscano is to die for.

Polo serves delicious steaks, prime rib plus other choices and great sides. I love the salad served with French dressing and bacon bits.

Everything I've eaten in the Grand Dining room has been very good. I enjoy eating there as it is so easy to overeat in the specialties and in the Terrace cafe.

At Waves be sure to try the Cajun chicken and surf and turf sandwich.

Terrace grill is extremely popular, the made to order grill especially.

The afternoon teas are very nice.

Try the grand buffet in the MDR, if your cruise is port Intensive they may not have it. I didn't know where to start the selections were so grand. It is The most lavish buffet imaginable as is the grand high tea, a dessert extravaganza.

I'm hard pressed to remember anything on board Oceania that I didn't like. High quality food, beautifully prepared and presented. A couple times the seasonings were not what I'm accustomed to but the food itself was good.

Mura

Alas, mussels are no more - they are off the menu. There are fairly substantial changes in the Jacques' menu.

Fortunately for me, my favorites have remained on the menu and to my absolute delight they have returned the escalope de foie gras back to the menu and it was truly delicious!

Alas, mussels are no more - they are off the menu. There are fairly substantial changes in the Jacques' menu.

Fortunately for me, my favorites have remained on the menu and to my absolute delight they have returned the escalope de foie gras back to the menu and it was truly delicious!

The mussels are gone?? for sure? :eek:

That's most disappointing! The moules were the first thing I ordered on board Marina. At least I can get them at our lunch in Charleston on our Lima-NY cruise ... I have already checked the menus!

Mura

A lot of people apparently like the Sea Bass at Red Ginger. I tried it, but wasn't crazy about it. In general I'm not that crazy about fish, but since so many people mentioned it, I felt I had to try it. Next time I'll try what sounds good to me, not what others recommend. Good to hear the Teriyaki is good - maybe I'll try that!

Keep in mind that if you really don't like something you try, you can order something else!

I have found lots to like on the Terrace, but normally I walk quickly around the buffet (except, of course, it's not really a buffet - more cafeteria style) and grab a few little tastes of things, then head straight to the grill for a few basics like lamb chops, baked potato, veg.

There is lobster and there is lobster tail. Usually the whole lobster is better than lobster tail - I think?