Crab Shack.... Opinions?

KristyMisty14

If you are really from Vancouver BC then no it is not "worth it". Too much access for you to good seafood. If you're really from Nebraska then maybe it is worth it. IMO - obviously

I hear ya, however I like the easy access to everything on the ship so I'm interested in peoples opinions on it. I am booked for Share and the CG too, after ready many good and bad reviews on everything at those 2 restaurants lol, so want some info from people that have paid and tried out the Crab Shack too......

I did it 2+ years ago... all the crab legs, shrimp that one could stomach. There was some corn?, sausage? and maybe potatoes in the mix, I think, but I really didn't care about those. I was able to get more legs at the time, but I believe I have read that people haven't been able to get additional recently. Worth it, Yes "ish" If it was located in it's own venue it would help the atmosphere, but in the Buffet it wasn't really very special. It's only money. :)

If the ship offers it we do it because we love the crab legs and jumbo shrimp. When we order we tell them that is all we want - with some corn and boiled potatoes. On our Panama Canal cruise we went twice. For us it is worth the cover charge!!:D

If the ship offers it we do it because we love the crab legs and jumbo shrimp. When we order we tell them that is all we want - with some corn and boiled potatoes. On our Panama Canal cruise we went twice. For us it is worth the cover charge!!:D

I see from your signature that you were on the Island Princess for your Panama cruise. That's the same ship that DH and I were on when we tried the Crab Shack. It was fabulous and all we could eat.

After reading the unfavorable reviews of others, I can only conclude the only good Crab Shack is on the Island, or that we have no taste. ;p

I have been leery of trying the Crab Shack on other ships, fearing that it won't be as good as the Island, and that we will be disappointed.

We have tried the crab shack 3 different times. The first 2 times were good. The last time was not good at all. We were on the Grand Princess. We're on the Crown in October and will not be do the crab shack again.

We sailed on the Diamond Princess in November 2016 and the food at the Crab Shack was the worst seafood I've ever had. Overcooked and the corn cobs that came with it were on the verge of rotting. The service was very poor and the staff were disinterested. We must have been booked in at the end of their shift and it seemed like they just wanted to get us out of there. This was unlike anything I've ever experienced on Princess.

Never again.

I'm from Boston and I don't think it's worth it.

Tony

Let's face it, Tony. The rest of the world just doesn't know how lucky we New Englanders are. Possible exception, our Canadian neighbors down the coast.(or "up" the coast for the non initiated)

Enjoyed eating at the Crab Shack once when it was $19; now that it's $29 we prefer paying the same amount for CG or Sabatini's because we enjoy them more.

Ditto. Never failed to eat at Cab Shack before. But we feel it is overpriced at $29 the last time, even if it's stll a good meal.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Are you going to Alaska? We had so much good seafood in the main dining room on our Alaska cruise last year on the Crown, we didn't bother with Crab Shack. The pile of split crab legs they served is were among the best I have had anywhere, and easy to eat.

We had done the Crab Shack many times - it's been great and it's been bad - overall it was worth the price at $19 but not at $29. The Crown Grill is wonderful, go there!!

Ditto. Never failed to eat at Cab Shack before. But we feel it is overpriced at $29 the last time, even if it's stll a good meal.

Apparently we may not be the only passengers who feel this way.

On our 15-day cruise on the Star to Hawaii in January it was only available on 2 nights. That's the same number of times it was offered on 7-day cruises with 2 sea days before increasing the price. With 9 sea days & only being offered twice that's an indication of the Crab Shack being less desirable since the 53% price increase.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I agree that it was OK for the price before the price went up. We did it on the Caribbean Princess a year and a half ago. The worst part was what Princess tries to pass off as hushpuppies. The desserts are also a bit of a letdown compared to the desserts in the other specialty dining venues.

Don't waste your money. Bad enough they have to put a "specialty" option in a roped off part of the buffet areas, but the exact same shrimp and mussels they make you pay $29 more for can be found in piles at the buffet. Even worse after raising the price form $19 to $29, and limiting you to one entree on top of it! Seriously Princess??? Last cruise in February the mussels were so tiny it wasn't worth the effort. Crab was salty and poor quality. Limited to one entree, and as said above, that one entree isn't worth it. If you have OBC to burn up, then MAYBE. Better spending the $29 at Crown Grill, but that too has gone south with steaks that were very poor on the last three cruises. I can understand maybe one bad cut here and there, but it's been pretty poor, and even if we sent a steak back, the replacement was no better... sadly, the wonderful, and very humorous waiter even seemed embarrassed because he knew it wasn't too good. Mostly fat and grizzle. When the staff warn you about poor cuts, you know it's not gonna be too good. Cheap, mass purchased meats and it's just not "special" anymore! I actually had a better cut of meat on sailaway night with the prime rib at the buffet. It was excellent, but that was on Royal and Regal, which both have superb Horizon Court Buffet areas. Pass on Crab Shack.

Leaving in 2 weeks and dreaming about eating! Just looking for opinions on the Crab Shack, if it's worth the nominal cover charge?

Similar to other folks above, we enjoyed it and felt the value was good first time out (we only paid $15pp IIRC, it wasn't even advertised officially yet so we might have been in the first 'soft opening' trial period). If it's now US$29 I wouldn't touch it with the proverbial 10' pole as the value is terrible - you could have two whole crabs each in Vancouver for that kind of cash!