Is the Water Taxi an enjoyable trip?

canadarocks

The water taxi is simply a comfortable, inexpensive way to get from the cruise terminal to the center of Philipsburg - where shopping or sitting on the beach are pretty much all there is to do. The beach is OK, but there have been reports of pollution, and it has none of the character or activity of other beaches on th island.

The water taxi is simply a comfortable, inexpensive way to get from the cruise terminal to the center of Philipsburg - where shopping or sitting on the beach are pretty much all there is to do. The beach is OK, but there have been reports of pollution, and it has none of the character or activity of other beaches on th island.

Thanks, very good to know beforehand.

We took it last week, it is a short ride on a fairly large flat boat. The employees are friendly and of course are looking for you to put something in the tip jar!

We had no issues with the water or beach where we sat, clean and no seaweed, which we did see further down the beach. The beach in town may not be the most scenic in St Maarten but it is easy and convenient !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We took it last week, it is a short ride on a fairly large flat boat. The employees are friendly and of course are looking for you to put something in the tip jar!

We had no issues with the water or beach where we sat, clean and no seaweed, which we did see further down the beach. The beach in town may not be the most scenic in St Maarten but it is easy and convenient !

Did you swim in the water at the beach? I keep reading that there is some pollution there. :(

If you are just using the water taxi as transport it is fine, nothing pretty or scenic in fact I thought it was rather stinky and the last few times we have preferred to walk into town....burn off some of the rich food from the trip. I would not venture into the water just to my knees, too many ships in the area I would suspect the water is not very clean. Easy place to spend the day but certainly not a stunning beach stop.

Water taxi ride was painless and a nice alternative to walking in the hot sun and getting back to the ship (after running around doing the family race.

They sold bottled water and soda on it.

There were many bench like seating available.

Enjoyed the ride.

Take care

Did you swim in the water at the beach? I keep reading that there is some pollution there. :(

Where we were (next to Holland House) the water was very nice and everyone was in swimming. We walked further down the beach and there was quite a bit of Seaweed.

We're in port just until 3pm with a bunch of other ships. Is the Water Taxi trip something we would enjoy, or is it simply a means to get to shopping (which we definitely do not enjoy)?

You can get some really nice pictures of the boardwalk area of town and of the ships while on the ferry.

• 2 weeks later...

We enjoy the Water Taxi. It provides a great photo-op as well as $1 water and soda and $2 beers.

th_DSCN4610.jpg

(click)

Video.

Hint: There is often a line to buy tickets at the office right as you exit the pier itself, but you can walk on down to where the Water Taxis are docked and purchase tickets right there, as you board.

gary