Delayed luggage - still waiting

phillyfriends2

Need help! Returned back to Balt port 12/9/14 Grandeur of the Seas. Luggage (3 suitcases) was not to be found-filled out Personal Property Report. We took insurance through Royal Caribbean. That evening received a call from a very nice (more than nice) woman in Wilkes Barre, PA that our luggage was put on her bus. Rather than leave it in parking garage, she took our luggage and others that were left alongside our luggage (don't know how) to her bus. Fortunately, we had luggage tags and personal ID on our luggage. We live in Philadelphia. She called Royal Caribbean and stated the facts. Here we are without clothing (miss all that underwear from an 11 day cruise) and everything else that is essential. The line has finally picked up 2 of our suitcases from the Wilkes Barre home - on a separate basis - with one remaining for pick-up. Still have not received anything! We're members of Crown and Anchor Group - have sent letters - with an automated reply. It is now December 14 - what compensation should be available for our delayed return of all our essentials? What about the savior in Wilkes-Barre with a compassion that didn't want luggage to be just left and then thrown to trash disposal? Royal Caribbean does not seem to be so loyal. In addition, in the luggage were the Chanukah gifts for us to mail to our grandchildren in Jerusalem and Shanghai......any suggestions?

I am not sure I understand your post

You returned to where?

some lady stole your bags & others then reported to RCCL she had them in Wilkes Barre ...how did they get there?

You are stranded where without clothing??

If RCCL picked them up or had them picked up they are probably in transit with UPS or whoever they used

ask RCCL for a tracking number ...

If the luggage made it to PA & you live in PA do you only have the clothes in your suitcases nothing in your home to wear??

Odd post

Are you really serious? You took everything you own on an 11 day cruise? Essemtials: You should never pack anything that is essential in a checked bag. It belongs in your carryon. Somehow, this does not seem like Royal Caribbean's fault...How did the luggage get to her bus? How did it get to the parking garage? Were there multiple buses provided by RC going to different locations? Paid transfers? It's very confusing. As for compensation, you might get a token offering from RC for someone's mistake, but the compensation? That's what you insurance is for...EM

Once a porter took one of oyr suitcases and put it with other peoples luggage. Fortunately we saw this and saved our luggage.

Also somehow a suitcase got on our shuttlebus to oyr post cruise hotel.

Would not be surprised something similar may have happened.

Would agree with poster above to get tracking numbers for delivery - also I would not find the four day delay that lengthy considering the weekend is mixed in. I can understand the frustration but do not know that you are necessarily due any compensation if you receive your bags.

Good luck

Completely understand the frustration. However,

Compensations? For what?

You're at home.

If you were on your trip still,,,, much different situation.

The gifts in your luggage are basically irrelevant to the facts of the situation. I'm sure they're an emotional fact, but not a compensatory relevance

Compensation? Forget compensation. Be grateful when you receive your bags and tip the person who delivers it to you.

I'd be so thrilled to see them again, I'd expect nothing but would be eager to say thank you.

While you are sending gifts, perhaps think about sending flowers to the nice lady who it seems 'rescued' your bags from being lost forever.

Edited by sail7seas

If your bags do not make it back to you at all, you have insurance, however it sounds very likely that you will get them back.

No harm, no foul, just some inconvenience.

Be grateful to the kind lady in Wilkes Barre, it would be nice if you sent her at the very least a thank you card. Flowers would be even better.

I have to agree, you aren't due any compensation.

Anything you can't live without should be in your carry on bag. If you can afford to cruise you can probably afford some extra underwear.

I must be stupid

I am still wondering why this lady felt the need to take the luggage with her

I am sure if she told the bus driver it would have been returned to where ever it was picked up in 1st place

Sounds like this lady was part of the problem

JMO

I must be stupid

I am sure if she told the bus driver it would have been returned to where ever it was picked up in 1st place

JMO

The way I read the post.

The luggage was placed onto the bus by mistake at the port in Baltimore. The Wilkes Barr lady had nothing to do with it. She just noticed that nobody was retrieving it in Wilkes Barr. So instead of leaving this luggage unattended, she did what she thought was the right thing to do and take it home with. Keep it secure and notify the owner.

The way I read the post.

The luggage was placed onto the bus by mistake at the port in Baltimore. The Wilkes Barr lady had nothing to do with it. She just noticed that nobody was retrieving it in Wilkes Barr. So instead of leaving this luggage unattended, she did what she thought was the right thing to do and take it home with. Keep it secure and notify the owner.

Ok did not realize there was no bus station & it was just dumped on the sidewalk

OP-

I am so sorry your luggage got misplaced. This is why my husband and I choose to self debark whenever we can. We hate putting our luggage in other people's hands.

I have had our luggage lost by the airlines before and it's no fun at all.

But, if you are home now, it's the end of your trip and RCL is probably not going to offer you compensation. It's just an honest mistake that happens when thousands of pieces of luggage are being handled in a short period of time. If it had happened before your trip they would have probably offered you compensation because they would want to help you arrange for clothing and such. But after your cruise they are expecting you to be home now and have all of that.

But it sounds like Royal Caribbean may be doing all they can do. They did offer to retrieve your luggage right? Maybe call them and inquire as to where it is. Maybe they can tell you how it was shipped and when it's due to get to you.

I know it's frustrating, I really do. I'm so sorry this happened to you.

I must be stupid

JMO

Pretty much like the poster who took someone's list item home a few days ago. Instead of turning the item in, they took it upon themselves to take it home because they distrust guest services.

Pretty much like the poster who took someone's list item home a few days ago. Instead of turning the item in, they took it upon themselves to take it home because they distrust guest services.

The "cruise line" bus we used made a stop at park and ride stop off an interstate. The driver off loaded the bags at the curb, we took ours and left. There were more people and bags on the bus for two other stops about 90 miles away. Who knows whether the driver what would do with unclaimed bags. The bus was out of the lot before we were to our car.

Returned home from Grandeur (12/9/14) and still no luggage. The cruise line has not given too much assistance. I'm not "playing" detective, however, the last time we saw it - outside our cabin. RCI could call and offer some compassion in telling us where the luggage is actually located. My husband (he called RCI) was told it was picked up for delivery - probably someone is walking with it from Wilkes Barre to Philadelphia. The mix up is with the cruise line who did not give the pick-up service the information that we had 3 suitcases. The nice woman who picked up the luggage after seeing it left unattended told the cruise line the number of suitcases to be "picked up" I think we have been very patient, but the cruise line certainly has a customer service department that could offer more interaction with us. It was not our first with RCI, but I certainly would hesitate before cruising with them again. I would have to do my homework as I am under the impression they own more than one cruise line. Did I ever lose luggage? Yes. Outside the good olde USA. It was put on a shared taxi, we were the last drop off. When we realized there was no luggage at our hotel stop, the hotel called the police. This was a little shocking to us. The end result: THE DROP OFF BEFORE US WAS GIVEN OUR LUGGAGE. We received it within 24 hours. All I'm asking is that RCI show some "We Care" to their customers. We are making the telephone calls (with one exception). They gave us 2 tracking numbers - where is it - what about the third? The best holiday gift we could receive - all that clothing that needs to be washed and our holiday gifts.

Do you know what company the tracking numbers are for ??

Did you check online to see if there is any info

It is doubtful RCCL had someone from the company go pick it

if a company like FEDEX it will be picked up then go to the depot to be sorted then put on a truck to your city

If this nice lady still has one of your bags I would ask her to please take it to her nearest ups or fed ex place and give you the phone number of the place. I would then call the shipper with a credit card number and have them send the bag to you. At least you will have part of your luggage back. You can the deal with shipping cost reimbursement with the cruise line once you have your bag.

I assume the bags the cruise line picked up were shipped to you at the cheapest cost. They could take up to a week to arrive.

Good luck and I hope you get everything back asap.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by Viv0828

It's a 2-hour drive from Philadelphia to Wilkes Barre. If it were me, I'd stop fussing with RCI and go pick it up myself.

THAT was the question I was about to ask. :)

I would get in the car and go pick up whatever luggage the lady still holds.

All the time you have spent on the phone, here and stressing, you could have made the round trip.... of course, we are making a few assumptions such as you have a car and drive etc

We had the most wonderful visitor yesterday (12/19/14). Federal Express delivered our luggage. So thrilled - one of the cutest gifts I purchased was just waiting for me: a little doll - when you turn it upset down there's another one. Did I describe it correctly? Anyhow, it took awhie. Receiving it was all due to a good individual in Wilkes-Barre who noticed ten pieces of luggage just sitting there without anyone claiming them. Besides our good fortune that she was such a "savior" makes you realize more than ever that there are good people in this world. Happy Holiday to everyone and the most wonderful New Year.