Best places in Old San Juan to eat P.R. specialties?

Juligan

We like to experience an area through their cuisine. Where are the best places in Old San Juan to have a quintessential Puerto Rican meal and what should we order? What about PR treats, any suggestions for those?

Thank you

We haver llunched/ eaten at Parro t Ciubvpor ver 30 yerars and agree it isvery good. good but can b e quite loud at times.

Did you try Dragon fly? Owned by same people.

Edited by sail7seas

We haver llunched/ eaten at Parro t Ciubvpor ver 30 yerars and agree it isvery good. good but can b e quite loud at times.

Did you try Dragon fly? Owned by same people.

We were there twice just this past May..late lunch and early dinner...and both times there were less than 6 people there...so as far as it being "loud" that can vary.

By the way your postings (on every thread I've noticed) seem to be having a real problem maybe "autocorrect" possibly :eek::eek:

We were there twice just this past May..late lunch and early dinner...and both times there were less than 6 people there...so as far as it being "loud" that can vary.

By the way your postings (on every thread I've noticed) seem to be having a real problem maybe "autocorrect" possibly :eek::eek:

sail7seas is recovering from a hand issue, so her typing is not the best right now. If we remember that, just take a little extra time and will understand her words. I thought she had a keyboard issue at first, but she told what was wrong. We will adapt, as she has years of experience to share.

While I liked The Parrot Club, I'm not sure I'd call it traditional PR food. Even their site calls it "Nuevo Latino" and "Global Latino". Call it PR food with a twist.

I was just going to ask this very question and glad you already did.

These places that are named...where are the located? Are they all in OSJ and easy to walk to?

I honestly have no idea what type of food they eat here. Can someone enlighten me? What recommendations do you have? Just an FYI, we DON'T like anything spicy or hot so I'm not sure how this will factor in. :)

Edit: I did just look up Raices (I believe it's a few streets over from the Sheraton?) and when looking at the pictures on TA, it seemed like there is a lot of "red meat" items? I'm not a big meat eater, but do like chicken. Are there any chicken meals or any other suggestions? (I also read they are pretty expensive here?)

Edited by mitsugirly

These places that are named...where are the located? Are they all in OSJ and easy to walk to?

I honestly have no idea what type of food they eat here. Can someone enlighten me? What recommendations do you have? Just an FYI, we DON'T like anything spicy or hot so I'm not sure how this will factor in. :)

Edit: I did just look up Raices (I believe it's a few streets over from the Sheraton?) and when looking at the pictures on TA, it seemed like there is a lot of "red meat" items? I'm not a big meat eater, but do like chicken. Are there any chicken meals or any other suggestions? (I also read they are pretty expensive here?)

A really great thing about the Internet is that you can find the answers to so many of your questions. :)

Here, for example, is the menu for Raices.

http://restauranteraices.com/English/index.html

We had lunch there in February, our very first mofongo. It was fabulous! (And I didn't think it was particularly expensive.) We had steak, but as you can see there are other options.

Raices is in OSJ, a very easy walk from the pier. (OSJ is quite small!)

We walked to both forts in the morning, had lunch at Raices, then walked over to Barrachina's, birthplace of the piña colada, to have a couple before heading back to the ship. We really loved OSJ.

Mofongo%20at%20Raices_zpszhfonvwb.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

But, the internet can't really answer my question as to what are some of the things to try there, what it's known for...what dishes should I personally try (based on what I said in my post) and of course I don't speak Spanish, which a lot of the menu's seem to be in Spanish, so I have no idea the ingredients and so on. I want REAL people's experiences, thoughts (although I know food is subjective when someone tells me something that was really good and gives me a name, at least I can research that item and see if it sounds like something we would like). ;)

It also doesn't answer the question as to what is "off" season considered for this Parrot Club. Once again, I thought maybe someone on here could answer that.

But yea, I have spent all day planning my adventure there, along with a walking tour of the things I want to see and places I want to eat. I think I have decided on Mallorca for breakfast and Parrot for lunch or dinner based on what I can figure out from searching. :cool:

But, the internet can't really answer my question as to what are some of the things to try there, what it's known for...what dishes should I personally try (based on what I said in my post) and of course I don't speak Spanish, which a lot of the menu's seem to be in Spanish, so I have no idea the ingredients and so on. I want REAL people's experiences, thoughts (although I know food is subjective when someone tells me something that was really good and gives me a name, at least I can research that item and see if it sounds like something we would like). ;)

It also doesn't answer the question as to what is "off" season considered for this Parrot Club. Once again, I thought maybe someone on here could answer that.

But yea, I have spent all day planning my adventure there, along with a walking tour of the things I want to see and places I want to eat. I think I have decided on Mallorca for breakfast and Parrot for lunch or dinner based on what I can figure out from searching. :cool:

Quick look at the website for The Parrot Club yielded an email address for you:

rocana@oofrestaurants.com

or, the Manager:

Joel Cristal - Manager

jcristal@oofrestaurants.com

Get the answer right from the Parrot's mouth (well, beak) ;)

They are also listed on Open Table, so you could plug in your dates there.

And, you could email your hotel concierge and ask them to find out if your dates are available at The Parrot Club.

Now, I'm also one who doesn't eat red meat (unless it's the only thing available), but I do eat pork (aka The Other White Meat). I LOVED the nachos at TPC - the shredded meat on the sides of the dish was excellent. the rest of the ingredients in the proportions made one of the best nachos I've ever had. The root veggie chips instead of tortilla chips was the best!

Quick look at the website for The Parrot Club yielded an email address for you:

rocana@oofrestaurants.com

or, the Manager:

Joel Cristal - Manager

jcristal@oofrestaurants.com

Get the answer right from the Parrot's mouth (well, beak) ;)

And, you could email your hotel concierge and ask them to find out if your dates are available at The Parrot Club.

Now, I'm also one who doesn't eat red meat (unless it's the only thing available), but I do eat pork (aka The Other White Meat). I LOVED the nachos at TPC - the shredded meat on the sides of the dish was excellent. the rest of the ingredients in the proportions made one of the best nachos I've ever had. The root veggie chips instead of tortilla chips was the best!

Agree...the Nacho's were amazing and the Empanada's :p:p

Pork is a very common food on Puerto Rico- the most common meat on the island. So if you consider that red meat, then you will cut out quite a bit of things. Chicken is a good substitute, but not quite the same. Beef is in only a handful of dishes, so that should not be hard to avoid.

Spice wise- normal Puerto Rican food isn't hot- it's spicy flavorful. Garlic, oregano, cilantro, culantro, onions, oil, etc- nothing really hot. Most places have sauces that you can add heat if you with, but this isn't like Mexico or the British islands that are known for really hot food.

There are a LOT of good fish dishes, and I don't like fish! :D

IMHO, something with ripe plantain should be tried- either as a Mofongo (mashed plantains) or Tostones (twice fried plantains). You will be fine with chicken- Mofongo con Pollo will be divine... Filet of dorado con tostones- I get that every time we go down- with a garlic sauce.

In terms of restaurants- Parrot club is great (the whole Oof family are some of our favorites), but it's not typically Puerto Rican food. It's more fusion of Puerto Rico and other things.

My wife (who is from Ponce) likes suggesting Raices, as it covers a lot of flavors of the island. It may seem tourist (which it kind of is) there is also one in Caguas and Hato Rey- which are far from where tourist typically go. Language won't be a problem- they have menus in both Spanish and English. I'd get both, just to learn a little.... :)

I think the biggest draw back to Raices is that a lot of people go there. There are a few places on either side that we have tried and liked a lot.

Awesome. I hadn't thought about that. I did just that and it shows that they are open. Woo Hoo. Thanks for the suggestion.

Agree...the Nacho's were amazing and the Empanada's :p:p

I have never had an Empanada, but I looked it up and it looks like something I definitely want to try!! :)

Pork is a very common food on Puerto Rico- the most common meat on the island. So if you consider that red meat, then you will cut out quite a bit of things. Chicken is a good substitute, but not quite the same. Beef is in only a handful of dishes, so that should not be hard to avoid.

Spice wise- normal Puerto Rican food isn't hot- it's spicy flavorful. Garlic, oregano, cilantro, culantro, onions, oil, etc- nothing really hot. Most places have sauces that you can add heat if you with, but this isn't like Mexico or the British islands that are known for really hot food.

There are a LOT of good fish dishes, and I don't like fish! :D

IMHO, something with ripe plantain should be tried- either as a Mofongo (mashed plantains) or Tostones (twice fried plantains). You will be fine with chicken- Mofongo con Pollo will be divine... Filet of dorado con tostones- I get that every time we go down- with a garlic sauce.

In terms of restaurants- Parrot club is great (the whole Oof family are some of our favorites), but it's not typically Puerto Rican food. It's more fusion of Puerto Rico and other things.

My wife (who is from Ponce) likes suggesting Raices, as it covers a lot of flavors of the island. It may seem tourist (which it kind of is) there is also one in Caguas and Hato Rey- which are far from where tourist typically go. Language won't be a problem- they have menus in both Spanish and English. I'd get both, just to learn a little.... :)

I think the biggest draw back to Raices is that a lot of people go there. There are a few places on either side that we have tried and liked a lot.

Oh my gosh this helped a lot.

So I have to ask...the plantain's...I know what it is, but I'm pretty sure that I have tried this several times when served with dishes at other places (Roatan and Belize I think) and it wasn't very good. But, they have always been served as some type of chips? What does the mashed plantain's taste like? Is it supposed to be a sweet type of treat?

I'm going to look up your suggestions and write them down so that I'll know what to order and "try" while we are there.

As far as pork, I really only like pulled pork or bacon. :D I don't eat red meat unless it's hamburger but I love chicken dishes. Fish-eh, I can take it or leave it but usually get other seafood instead.

It sounds like I shouldn't be concerned with it being too "spicy" from the list of ingredients you have given.

Cafe Mallorca has best breakfast with fresh squeezed OJ.

Order a mallorca...YUMMY But get their early cause they fill up so fast!

It is definitely my plan to head to Mallorca for breakfast. I was checking out their mallorca dishes and it looked yummy. BUT, I'm pretty sure we won't get there early because we will still be on the ship early the day we come back (when we are staying in OSJ). The day we leave PR will have to be the day we try it and I'm pretty sure we have no desire to get up early. We are just not early birds. :o

Oh my gosh this helped a lot.

So I have to ask...the plantain's...I know what it is, but I'm pretty sure that I have tried this several times when served with dishes at other places (Roatan and Belize I think) and it wasn't very good. But, they have always been served as some type of chips? What does the mashed plantain's taste like? Is it supposed to be a sweet type of treat?

I'm going to look up your suggestions and write them down so that I'll know what to order and "try" while we are there.

As far as pork, I really only like pulled pork or bacon. :D I don't eat red meat unless it's hamburger but I love chicken dishes. Fish-eh, I can take it or leave it but usually get other seafood instead.

It sounds like I shouldn't be concerned with it being too "spicy" from the list of ingredients you have given.

Plantains can be either sweet or ripe when done. I very much prefer the ripe ones- so they are more potato like than very sweet potato like.

Even though the plantain looks very much like a banana, in Puerto Rico, it's used as a starch. Relative to the potato- it's drier both in mashed form and double fried form (which is why there's almost always a sauce with tostones). And for mofogo- other than garlic, pork rind (tiny amount), salt/pepper- nothing is added, whereas mashed potatoes have milk and butter in them. So the sauce is there to lubricate things more.

If you are worried- I'd first try tostones and not mofogo. If you don't like it, you don't have to finish it, and it's not a huge amount. If you like it, you have something to shoot for next time. You can get plantain chips like potato chips in a bag- they are good, too.

Rice and Beans are also something interesting too- and it comes in different ways- as white rice that you pour red beans over (aroz con habecuelas) up to spiced rice with pigeon peas in (aroz con gandules)- they are very different, and if given a choice- be like my wife and I- try to get both to share with whoever you are with.

IMHO, the biggest player on the spice front is garlic. And it's quite well done, most of the time, too.

For pork, if you find lechon or pernil- that's a great slow cooked pulled pork. Not at all like what you see in BBQ places in the US- unique to Puerto Rico. Really good.

There are a LOT of other really cool things to eat, too- empanadas, alcapurrias, sorulltos, pasteles, etc. Great stuff. Harder to find.

The Parrot Club was pretty good for Empanadas, they were so very friendly there too. They bring you some homemade hot sauce if you want to give it a try, it will knock your socks off so be careful. There was an outdoor market that was selling empanadas that I am going to try when I go back. I am on a mission to find the best chicken empanadas in San Juan.

You have to try Mofongo, the national dish. I really liked it at Raices. I also had it at the hotel restaurant (El Patio) in the Embassy Suites hotel, and it was very good there too.

Something not at all Puerto Rican cuisine but absolutely amazing is is Casa Cortes on Calle San Francisco. Everything is or has chocolate in it. I had my first chocolate grilled cheese and I can't wait to go back in January. They are not the friendliest bunch, but oh the chocolate!!!!

http://www.casacortespr.com

• 2 weeks later...