White!

skiwee

Does anyone else wear white on their cruise even though its past that ridiculous time when you aren't supposed to? I remember last year some here were in an uproar over wearing white after Labor Day. Do you consider it a fashion disaster? Or are you laid back and really couldn't care what date it is as you are traveling to some place tropical and love wearing white. I was just thinking this as I packed my white shorts and capris today for my cruise next week. :)

I don't worry about it at all. I will definitely bring my white skinny jeans and white shorts on my cruises this November. And if anyone mentions that old rule about not wearing white after Labor Day, I will just smile and tell them I never heard of such a rule! :)

The last time I was in Belize, it was January and easily 100 degrees out. I'm certainly not going to wear black!

Belize was my first time in central america, and the heat was shocking! 7am felt like the middle of a sweltering day. glad i brought my whites & shorts

Belize was my first time in central america, and the heat was shocking! 7am felt like the middle of a sweltering day. glad i brought my whites & shorts

The funny thing was that we kept seeing people stand by this wall and couldn't figure out why. Then we got over there and realized that it was because it was cooler right there due to the shade.

Actually, I'm not bringing much white but only because I don't have much to bring. I'm kind of a klutz!

I don't recall any uproar, but this topic comes up every year and the responses are always the same. Wear white if you want to. You're not in the States and there is no outdated "rule" in place in the Caribbean

I wear white all year round and I don't care what anyone thinks about it. I draw the line with white shoes, only because I have huge feet and white shoes just make them look bigger.

I'm still wearing white.. when it ceases to be 80-90 degrees everyday, I will retire them until spring. :)

I agree-I may not wear white right now at home-even though it is still hitting high 70's-(however I am still am wearing short sleeves and capris-with a light jacket in early morning pre 9 am-I do stay away from anything too "summery" so I am wearing a lot of khaki colors! LOL!) but I see nothing wrong with wearing white in 90 plus temps.

Now to the velvet in the Caribbean question-nope not taking any-for the same reason-no velvet when it is 90 plus! Not because of any silly etiquette rule-I simply want to be comfortable!

Does anyone else wear white on their cruise even though its past that ridiculous time when you aren't supposed to? I remember last year some here were in an uproar over wearing white after Labor Day. Do you consider it a fashion disaster? Or are you laid back and really couldn't care what date it is as you are traveling to some place tropical and love wearing white. I was just thinking this as I packed my white shorts and capris today for my cruise next week. :)

Come on, somebody, tell the world why it is that in the US nobody is supposed to wear white after Labour Day. When I lived in Germany, nothing was more gorgeous in winter than lovely white woollen coats, and white fluffy hats. Okay, no white high heels, but I have white fur lined boots (it gets very cold in Germany in winter). In France a couple of years ago, when the temperature really dropped at the end of October, I and lots of ladies in Paris were donning flattering white hats and wrapping white woollen scarves around our necks. White is the colour of snow and for many people is a fabulous colour (okay, I know it's a neutral - please, no corrections here) as it throws light up into their face. :)

I don't worry about it at all. I will definitely bring my white skinny jeans and white shorts on my cruises this November. And if anyone mentions that old rule about not wearing white after Labor Day, I will just smile and tell them I never heard of such a rule! :)

really??? this rule is believed to be so strict that you think people would actually mention it to you?? I think this is all ridiculous

really??? this rule is believed to be so strict that you think people would actually mention it to you?? I think this is all ridiculous

People will say just about anything, and it certainly wouldn't surprise me. But I agree with you that the "rule" is out of date and should no longer be considered to be in effect--the thing is that there are still lots of folks who don't know that. :)

My friend from Maine does. She's nuts about the "white" rule. I'm from California and anything go's. I ironed my 5 white linen pants in various lengths and they will go in my suitcase for my 2 Dec and 2 Jan cruises. Now to figure out my tops. I love white in the Caribbean and Bahamas all year.

Absolutely. It's hot, white is cooler and anyway, that rule is not only out-of-date but never did apply for places like the Caribbean.

I do feel a little strange wearing summer whites here once the weather cools down, but it's not a rule set in cement for me.

Come on, somebody, tell the world why it is that in the US nobody is supposed to wear white after Labour Day. When I lived in Germany, nothing was more gorgeous in winter than lovely white woollen coats, and white fluffy hats. Okay, no white high heels, but I have white fur lined boots (it gets very cold in Germany in winter). In France a couple of years ago, when the temperature really dropped at the end of October, I and lots of ladies in Paris were donning flattering white hats and wrapping white woollen scarves around our necks. White is the colour of snow and for many people is a fabulous colour (okay, I know it's a neutral - please, no corrections here) as it throws light up into their face. :)

I think winter whites have always been okay. I agree though, it's kind of a silly rule and not followed much anymore. It's all about common sense. An airy white cotton peasant skirt in Jan. in New York would look silly and be cold. A nice white wool pair of slacks would be just fine.

Dressbarn is selling white right now...not snow white, however it's still white!:D

I've never paid attention to that rule. I just bought an awesome pair of ankle pants from Talbots for our upcoming cruises and I will be taking them along. We want to start cruising more, so I'm buying mostly black and white pants and adding colorful blouses to mix and match. My goal is to take much less. I agree with many of the opinions here...the white rule is seriously outdated!

Archived