power striips

igloo810

Recently back from a Holland America cruise. We have contacted guest services to see if they can provide us with a power strip, they had one delivered to our cabin. Does anyone know if Princess can provide power strips upon request?

Recently back from a Holland America cruise. We have contacted guest services to see if they can provide us with a power strip, they had one delivered to our cabin. Does anyone know if Princess can provide power strips upon request?

I'm sure they don't have hundreds of them for guests to use. Belkin, Targus and others make compact 3 or 4 plug travel outlets, with USB plugs and surge protection for $10 - $20. Check out Amazon. Keep it in your travel bag, and it's one less thing to worry about.

I've got one like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-MP-OTG400-BK-Outlets/dp/B000F9YN2M/ref=sr_1_1_m?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1411444620&sr=1-1&keywords=outlets+to+go

...that I have permanently packed with my travel gear...

The short cord folds right around the unit and plugs in to the unit...so it packs easy with no cords tangling around...It gives you four sockets for one...It's very lightweight and takes up little space...

So, these days when we have phones, ipads and camera batteries to charge, we find this indispensible...

I've got one like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-MP-OTG400-BK-Outlets/dp/B000F9YN2M/ref=sr_1_1_m?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1411444620&sr=1-1&keywords=outlets+to+go

The short cord folds right around the unit and plugs in to the unit...so it packs easy with no cords tangling around...It gives you four sockets for one...It's very lightweight and takes up little space...

So, these days when we have phones, ipads and camera batteries to charge, we find this indispensible...

Perfect, thank you for sharing.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I've got one like this:

We have the same and it works great having outlets on opposite sides. And like yours it stays permanently in the suitcase.

Mike:)

We always bring our own they are inexpensive and can be brought as a cord or just a plug to plug in they take up little or no room in luggage we just returned from a Disney Cruise and they do not ferment power strips

enjoy your cruise

STUR DAYTON,OHIO

I use a small extension cord plus outlet multipliers.

My son-in-law uses a power squid similar to this one on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Accell-D080B-007K-R-PowerSquid-Outlet-Multiplier/dp/B004LZ5XMU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1411578094&sr=1-1&keywords=octopus+cords

The advantage to this is that it doesn't matter which way the prongs are pointer on your power adapters. Sometimes an adapter can take up two or three of the plugs on your adapter depending on how its prongs are oriented.

Note that this is not a surge protector. Its only an outlet multiplier.

The answer to the question about Princess is that they will supply an extension cord for medical equipment (e.g. Cpap) but it a 50 ft long orange industrial cord.

Bring your own multiple outlet/surge protector. All of the ones mentioned here work really well.

The answer to the question about Princess is that they will supply an extension cord for medical equipment (e.g. Cpap) but it a 50 ft long orange industrial cord.

Bring your own multiple outlet/surge protector. All of the ones mentioned here work really well.

But if you do choose to bring your own basic "extension cord" make sure it's a good sturdy one, in good working order, not old, weak or frayed.

Edited by Treven

I remember a thread some time ago w.r.t. power strips. One thing that was made clear was that surge protection may be problematic for the ship. I don't claim to be an electrical engineer but from what I understood from the thread was that one leg of the wiring interacts with the electrical distribution of the ship and if your power bar trips, the ship's electrical system can become compromised. A power bar without a surge protector is ok.

Just back from a Dawn Princess cruise to PNG. My powerboard was confiscated when it showed up on a XRay of baggage. My bag was placed in naughty room along with some 100 other bags. I asked Princess for a replacement board as I use a CPAP machine and they couldn't even provide an extension lead. Luckily I carry one so wasn't greatly inconvenienced. Wish they had have told me.

• 4 weeks later...

I will be cruising in Australia on the Diamond Princess which has US standard sockets. Could I ask Princess Cruises to organise a converter plug for the socket to take a power strip so I can charge my computer for word processing, and batteries for my digital camera? I am not confident with electrical technology, so would prefer Princess qualified staff supply the needed items for safety. Have learnt ever so much just reading through the threads, it's better than watching travel shows, you get so much more information!

Thanks for your help

Crochetcruise :cool:

This is another option from Belkin which has two USB ports.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-SurgePlus-3-Outlet-Charger-Protector/dp/B00ATZJ5YS

We bought one of these a year or so ago and it works well. The ability to change the prong orientation to one of four makes it easier to put it into the socket regardless of the socket orientation. The prong rotates to one of four positions so the bar can be vertical or horizontal when plugged in to the socket. The two USB ports works quite well and that is how we charge our camera and cell phones (airplane mode only!).

Without getting too technical, power strips with surge protectors can cause a fault on their electrical distribution system and a warning will alert the ship engineers as to the exact location. Surge protectors' purpose is to protect from a power surge as in when lightning hits near the electrical lines coming into your home. On a ship with metal hull and its own self contained electrical generation and distribution system, surge protectors serve no useful service. The power on a ship is cleaner and more closely regulated and monitored than your power at home. Leave the surge protector devices at home.

I will be cruising in Australia on the Diamond Princess which has US standard sockets. Could I ask Princess Cruises to organise a converter plug for the socket to take a power strip so I can charge my computer for word processing, and batteries for my digital camera? I am not confident with electrical technology, so would prefer Princess qualified staff supply the needed items for safety. Have learnt ever so much just reading through the threads, it's better than watching travel shows, you get so much more information!

Thanks for your help

Crochetcruise :cool:

I doubt that Princess will be much help. Your main problem will be voltage. In Australia, you use 250V at 50 Hertz. The cruise ships are set up for the North American standard of 110/120V at 50/60 Hertz. Most electronic chargers will work on either standard but you will need to look at the power rating for each charger you plan on using to be sure it's OK.

It's the INPUT rating you want to look at. The rating for a charger my Motorola phone says: "Input 100-240V~50/60Hz 0.2A"

so it will work on either. The 0.2A is the current it will draw and you shouldn't need to worry about this. I'm in North America where we have the 110V, but I have used these chargers in countries that have 240/250V with no problem. I have also used the larger charger that came with my laptop because it is rated for both.

If you're using things beside chargers: hair dryers, TV sets, etc., you will need to be extra careful and research each one.

In general chargers should be OK, but check, others things should probably be avoided.

If your chargers are OK but have the Australian configured plugs you can buy an inexpensive adapter that will convert them to the North America configuration. If you're uncomfortable, you might visit a travel or electronics store and talk to the people there to get the correct adapter.