Food intolerances - can I ask for ingredient listings?

Meamat

Hi all!

Is anyone aware of cruise operator's policies for less-common food intolerances? I've avoided cruising and all-inclusive resorts because my children can't handle certain colourings and preservatives, but they're getting to an age that the reactions are less catastrophic and they've been asking about a cruise for years now! I always feel like such a pain in restaurants asking to please see the packaging for their juice/bread/sauces, and my biggest fear in cruising is balancing the food issues. I don't want to be the annoying customer that asks a ton of questions, but I also don't want to have a sick child or make other travellers put up with some of the consequences of the wrong food!

I'd love to be able to minimise their intake but still give them choices if possible, so I'm reluctant to ask for special meals in case there are lots of acceptable options already that they'd miss out on. I'd really just like to know the ingredients of certain items available (particularly bread products, ice creams, snack items) and make choices on which ones they can handle and which things to avoid.

Is this something I'd need to notify and request well in advance (like food allergies) or can I make some minor enquiries on board? Most likely option for us would be Carnival Spirit or Carnival Legend out of Sydney.

Thanks!

Edited by Meamat
Added information

It may be difficult to get a list of ingredients for all the food items served on board. I think that would be a rather complex task with extremely broad range of ingredients used in their daily food preparations throughout ship.

As with the more common food allergies, your better option might be to contact the cruise line in advance with your specific sensitivities that you have a concern would raise genuine issues with them, or items that must be avoided to see if they can arrange food options for them that can be provided. I think that would be the more proactive and simpler approach.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Every cruise line has a special need department. You should contact them well before your cruise. When onboard, don't depend on the staff to have been notified of your needs. But cruise lines have become very good at handling food allergies and other special diets. You should request traditional dining so that you have the same wait staff each night. And when you eat in the buffet, ask to speak with the cook and explain your needs. Much of the food onboard is prepared with fresh ingredients, no preservatives or colourings. You may be surprised how much there is without special requests. EM

Book traditional dining, so that you get the same waiters each evening. Easier if you tell staff about intolerances rather than ask about ingredients, they're very good about finding out or varying to suit or suggesting alternatives.

Rather more difficult in the buffet and fast foods.some enquiries you only need to make once, such as breads.

A great deal of the food is prepared on board without preservatives and colourings if used will be known.

Some foods, particularly some cold desserts, I feel sure are bought in, so they may be more difficult - best to stick to things that are prepared in the galleys

JB :)

Thank you all so much for your help and advice!

I'll definitely call the special needs people once we book, but you've at least put my mind at ease knowing I can probably find options.

There are a few items that would be really good to know ahead of time... e.g. my son would eat burgers all day every day if he could, but the standard preservative in many bread rolls would be giving him night terrors, severe stomach cramps, incontinence, volatile moody behaviour, and skin rashes within a couple of days. Letting them know so we have some preservative free bread on board would be a life saver.

They're used to avoiding a lot of things anyway, but if I could just ask the dining/special needs department about a couple of staple requests I know we'll want (like ice cream!) I'm sure that will help a lot.

Thanks again - loving all the great information from everyone here!

It might be extremely difficult, if not impossible, for the cruise line to provide totally preservative free items. Food items are ordered in large quantities from a host of providers, so getting things that are preservative free might not be an option. But, call the special needs department and ask them. But if they cannot guarantee that the items will be preservative free, I'm not sure what you can do. But, by preservative free, do you actually mean gluten free? If it's a gluten intolerance your son has, then no worries because cruise lines do provide for gluten free dining. But preservative free? I'm not so sure.

Edited by kitty9

Thank you all so much for your help and advice!

I'll definitely call the special needs people once we book, but you've at least put my mind at ease knowing I can probably find options.

There are a few items that would be really good to know ahead of time... e.g. my son would eat burgers all day every day if he could, but the standard preservative in many bread rolls would be giving him night terrors, severe stomach cramps, incontinence, volatile moody behaviour, and skin rashes within a couple of days. Letting them know so we have some preservative free bread on board would be a life saver.

They're used to avoiding a lot of things anyway, but if I could just ask the dining/special needs department about a couple of staple requests I know we'll want (like ice cream!) I'm sure that will help a lot.

Thanks again - loving all the great information from everyone here!

Yes, I would stay away from the burger buns, these tend to be brought onboard. Lots of the other bread (rolls, baguettes, even sandwich loaves) will be made onboard, fresh every day, and these will be as preservative free as can be (there may be some in the flour, etc).

Things like spaghetti may have some preservatives, since the tomato sauce and paste used onboard is canned. Most soups are made fresh onboard.

Very little preservatives are used onboard, except what comes in commercial supplies, as the food is not allowed to be reused.

I agree with kitty9. Cruise ships have limited space to store large quantities of food, and those stores may be onboard for days or weeks.

I have many food allergies so I understand where you are coming from, but it seems unreasonable to expect the cruiselines to provide preservative free food, or give you lists of ingredients.

Thanks again for your help.

No, not gluten free, actually preservative free and colour free. It's the chemical stuff that gets to them, and some of the reactions are pretty severe. One induces instant vomiting. Most tinned foods are fine, as is dried pasta, so things like spaghetti are likely to be ok.

I may be coming from a different point of view because I live in Australia, but food providers are legally responsible here to tell us what is in our food and provide accurate ingredients, so I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for the ingredients in a dish or for food to be allergy free (regardless of allergy source... I know mine is obscure but they wouldn't bat an eye at dairy free or gluten free) but I don't want to make things unnecessarily difficult either.

I'll definitely call the special needs people and see what they can tell me!

Definitely call the special needs department of a cruise line you're interested in and list the items they are allergic or ultra-sensitive to. Most likely they've been asked about the same exact items.

With me it's shellfish and yogurt...can't eat anything with these items. Others with the same allergies understand but you'll be amazed at how many people don't understand how one can be allergic to some foods (when in reality any type of food may set off someone's system). Even cross-contamination (for example from a serving spoon) can cause a scary breathing problem for me, even without ingesting shrimp directly. After our waiter on our last cruise gave his recommendations on the first night, I casually mentioned my shellfish allergy and just it seemed a few seconds later, the head waiter was by my side (I assured him I usually avoid all seafood anyway so I didn't need to preselect my entrees).

We have had good results on Celebrity in dealing with food allergies. You do, however, have to tell them exactly what your children cannot have. We had reasonable results from Carnival.

I would expect Disney to do well, since the parks handle food allergies so well.

I try not to give my kids any dyes or preservatives.

I know the soft serve ice cream and drinks in the buffet dispensers are all artificial, no actual juice or dairy.

You'll probably be best sticking to fresh fruits, salads, veggies and plain meats in the MDR.

I doubt you'll get an exhaustive list of ingredients in all foods served on board.

Thanks again for your help.

No, not gluten free, actually preservative free and colour free. It's the chemical stuff that gets to them, and some of the reactions are pretty severe. One induces instant vomiting. Most tinned foods are fine, as is dried pasta, so things like spaghetti are likely to be ok.

I may be coming from a different point of view because I live in Australia, but food providers are legally responsible here to tell us what is in our food and provide accurate ingredients, so I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for the ingredients in a dish or for food to be allergy free (regardless of allergy source... I know mine is obscure but they wouldn't bat an eye at dairy free or gluten free) but I don't want to make things unnecessarily difficult either.

I'll definitely call the special needs people and see what they can tell me!

Just remember that cruise ships, registered in countries like Liberia, aren't subject to rules and regulations that countries like the US and Australia might have. Consequently, they don't have to provide anyone with a list of ingredients. They will, within reason, try and assist those with special needs, but for those with needs outside the mainstream might not be accommodated.