directions from penn to penn hotel

redcruzer

DH and I stayed at the Pennsylvania Hotel a few years back. No it was not the most modern hotel I have ever stayed in but it was fine for the overnight before our cruise. The room and bathroom was clean and the TV worked fine. Just saying, we had no problem with it. We also came into Penn Station on Amtrak. In the morning, we went out the front door, the doorman hailed a cab for us and we were off to the port. One word of warning, don't grab breakfast in the dinner at the entrance to the hotel. Two pancakes each for two people was over $30 for breakfast!!!!! I guess that is NY City prices, though.

One word of warning, don't grab breakfast in the dinner at the entrance to the hotel. Two pancakes each for two people was over $30 for breakfast!!!!! I guess that is NY City prices, though.

For breakfast, walk back across the street down into Penn Station and get a bagel and cream cheese at Zaro's, and then some Black and White cookies. :)

In fact, get some Black and White cookies when you first arrive and bring them to the hotel. :)

Find another place to stay! The Hotel Pennsylvania is a DUMP.

What is so amazing---you walk in the lobby and it looks like a palace. I stay there for the Westminster dog show since it is where lots of dogs stay. But I would never take my shoes off in those rooms. No coffee pots either! Dump is really a compliment.

Someone mentioned the restaurant next door--I made the mistake of buying a glass of iced tea there. On my gosh I knew I wasn't in Mississippi. I think an order of fries was $8.

• 3 weeks later...
For breakfast, walk back across the street down into Penn Station and get a bagel and cream cheese at Zaro's, and then some Black and White cookies. :)

In fact, get some Black and White cookies when you first arrive and bring them to the hotel. :)

I am so doing this on my way to work tomorrow!!!

Find another place to stay! The Hotel Pennsylvania is a DUMP.

Agreed, Hotel Pennsylvania is not 4 star by any means - but it is roughly $200 per night less expensive than better hotels anywhere near as conveniently located.

Also, having stayed there a couple of times myself, I can say that most of the reviews are overstating how poor the maintenance is.

I suspect that a lot of the negative posts on this thread are by people who like to pile on - and pass along comments without having any personal experience. Sort of like the negative cliche comments people make about cruise lines which they have never sailed.

There are still dozens of alternatives in that price range that are much less likely to give you bed bugs! And many others in Long Island City (very short subway ride from midtown) at significantly lower prices.

It would help if you could identify some among the "dozens of alternatives in that price range" without losing focus on the fact that geography counts. Of course Long Island City locations are less expensive. Frankly, I would opt for a higher end hotel - but we are talking about something in the immediate area of Penn Station.

Unless redcruzer posts an exact date and price (with tax) that he's paying for the Hotel Pennsylvania, it's not possible to price other hotels to offer alternative suggestions for his desired location and price range.

"price range" means general cost - not "exact date and price(with tax)" . Hotel Pennsylvania price range for a double is roughly $175 - $225. Not that hard to come up with price range of alternatives.

"price range" means general cost - not "exact date and price(with tax)" . Hotel Pennsylvania price range for a double is roughly $175 - $225. Not that hard to come up with price range of alternatives.

The date DOES make a huge difference in Manhattan. For example, this August I had a staycation at Lotte Palace including breakfast for $250, same room class in October $500!! I checked and ended up finding something in the financial district, which was more of a 3 star but still a good deal for time of year.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Fairfield on W37th is about five blocks further (the short ones) for about the same price (maybe even less depending on your travel dates and any discounts you might get like AAA or AARP) gets generally good reviews, and includes breakfast. No brainier, even if you need to spend $10 on a taxi.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The date DOES make a huge difference in Manhattan. For example, this August I had a staycation at Lotte Palace including breakfast for $250, same room class in October $500!! I checked and ended up finding something in the financial district, which was more of a 3 star but still a good deal for time of year.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Don't you realize that you have just provided the "price range" for that hotel - and "price range" is what we are talking about. Of course there are seasonal, and day-of-the-week, variables --- but what makes Lotte Palace more or less expensive is most likely to have a similar effect on Hotel Pennsylvania.

Don't you realize that you have just provided the "price range" for that hotel - and "price range" is what we are talking about. Of course there are seasonal, and day-of-the-week, variables --- but what makes Lotte Palace more or less expensive is most likely to have a similar effect on Hotel Pennsylvania.

The point is if the OP provides the dates a hotel property can be found in the same price range as the Hotel Pennsylvania and of better quality. I don't understand your argument. I'm here to help the OP.

The point is if the OP provides the dates a hotel property can be found in the same price range as the Hotel Pennsylvania and of better quality. I don't understand your argument. I'm here to help the OP.

Double ditto to that!

There are lots of deals out there, but an exact date is needed to find the ones that could suit the OP's budget and location requirements.

Of course going to a better hotel in the same price range make sense - the question is: can anyone identify a better hotel in the same area with a comparable price?

If OP wants to be near Penn Station it is hard to impossible to find better hotels in the same rice range. I am here to help the OP also - and that means paying attention to what OP wants: which seems to be an inexpensive hotel convenient to Penn Station.

I don't understand your inability to propose such a place --- in stead of just insisting on knowing dates.