Star dry dock 2015?

saltybill1

The STAR was refurbished in 2010 - 5 years seems an awful short life for that

type of improvement. The STAR has been sailing since 2001.

Now - - - compared to the SUN which I sailed on in 7/13 was refurbished in

2011 and has been sailing since 2000.

It will be interesting if they are going to dry dock her to note what they plan

for improvements or just basic maintenance. I will be sailing on the STAR 10/14.

Review the NCL website for future bookings on the STAR it appears that something

is happening AFTER September 2015 (no ship deployment)?

Review the NCL website for future bookings on the STAR it appears that something

is happening AFTER September 2015 (no ship deployment)?

The winter itineraries have already been announced and come bookable online next month.

• 4 weeks later...

Now that the winter 2015/2016 itineraries are available for the Star. Anyone have an idea when the dry dock will happen?

We are on a May 11 Baltics cruise and I'd love to see the old Star spruced up before then, but I'm thinking it may be late Fall 2015.

Now that the winter 2015/2016 itineraries are available for the Star. Anyone have an idea when the dry dock will happen?

We are on a May 11 Baltics cruise and I'd love to see the old Star spruced up before then, but I'm thinking it may be late Fall 2015.

We're looking at the star as a possible option for a Baltic cruise in Summer 2015. One of my concerns is 'aging' and 'wear', it's also not really a recent ship. So it would be nice if it would go into dry dock before that.

Edited by WouterC

• 1 month later...
They will probably move Moderno and add the Sugarcane Mojito Bar to old Star Bar/overflow Cagney's area and add O'Sheehan's to what is now Blue Lagoon and Moderno. Maybe replace the Java Cafe with Carlo's Bake Shop.

Yep, that is what they'll do (except that Carlo's baked goods are already in Java Cafe, at least on Dawn they were) as the upcoming changes for Dawn class and Jewel class ships have been announced months ago. Previous poster was asking about the time, not what will change. :)

Has anyone got any information on when the star goes in the drydock in 2015. We will be on the April 12 sailing in 2015 and hope that the star is refurbished by then.

We're on the April 05 so I'm wondering the same.

Would that refurbishment include implementing iConcierge? We're traveling with a group so the texting option would be handy.

Just off the Star on Monday. We were told that the Star will be in drydock this February. The ship is well maintained but just a tad dated. The one BIG issue we had was the much mentioned lack of nice public space and viewing areas. An officer even mentioned it in a public session that the last redo was a mistake. They took several public lounges and turned them into penthouses and private dining. So, the typical forward lounge on the top deck is no longer there. During the day it was like shopping at Christmas time.

The crew was wonderful and most of the entertainers were great. Personally, I would not travel on the Star again because of the space issues.

Just off the Star on Monday. We were told that the Star will be in drydock this February. The ship is well maintained but just a tad dated.

Thanks so much for this info. We were on the Star twice in 2013 and she definitely needs some spiffing up. We book port intensive itineraries and were ok without viewing lounge, but that dark, cramped Spinnaker lounge is not a nice space to spend any time in.

We are booked on the Star in May 2015 and hope to see fresh carpet throughout and that the theater's broken seats have been replaced. We are looking forward to O'Sheehan's and the computerized photo gallery. and maybe, just maybe those dreadful plastic fountains in the atrium will be removed.

Just off the Star on Monday. We were told that the Star will be in drydock this February. The ship is well maintained but just a tad dated. The one BIG issue we had was the much mentioned lack of nice public space and viewing areas. An officer even mentioned it in a public session that the last redo was a mistake. They took several public lounges and turned them into penthouses and private dining. So, the typical forward lounge on the top deck is no longer there. During the day it was like shopping at Christmas time.

The crew was wonderful and most of the entertainers were great. Personally, I would not travel on the Star again because of the space issues.

Just looked at the February 2015 NCL web site, I don't see any dates where cruises (panama canal) are not already scheduled. How many days would it be in drydock to do this update ?

They were replacing carpeting during our TA. The smell was pretty bad at times. The red carpeting on the stairs looked the same except newer. The patchy hallways received a brown fish swimming to the front of the ship look. A bit classier than the blue. We had lots of sea days so taking away the public spaces was a big deal for that sailing. The crew and passengers were Very nice.

Just looked at the February 2015 NCL web site, I don't see any dates where cruises (panama canal) are not already scheduled. How many days would it be in drydock to do this update ?

No clue on the dates. Seems they are doing a lot now. Cosmetic things. They wouldn't give details except to say it will be wonderful...

• 3 weeks later...
Just off the Star on Monday. We were told that the Star will be in drydock this February.

We sailed on the Star in March and was told by officers while on a tour of the bridge that the Star would be dry docked in Feb. 2015. (The bridge officer pulled out this big binder style book and looked it up) We were surprised because we were scheduled for a Panama cruise during that time.

We contacted NCL when we arrived home and they stated their computers don't show the Star going into dry dock in Feb. 2015.

Here's hoping in the dry dock they are able to fix the Norwegian Star's Bermuda bump (her accident a few years back post dry dock where she drifted backwards in a wind storm into the bulbous bow of an RCCL ship docked behind her in Bermuda). It was still there this January when I sailed on her.

As for the dry dock schedule, since Norwegian doesn't own a controlling stake in a dry dock like RCI does for Freeport, they get the space when they can get it. That's why a few years back two of the ships (Jewel and Gem) were dry docked up here in Boston. It was the closest dry dock available on short notice but it clearly wasn't equipped to handle such intense turn around.

It's nice to hear from another poster that they're updating the carpeting to match the newer ships with the brown motif. I agree the Spinnakers needs more windows on that ship. There's no bringing back the old Spinnakers but at least the one they have now could use an infusion of light! :)

I was scheduled to cruise on March 1, 2015, and apparently they canceled the date. They are saying the Star will be in dry dock longer than anticipated, so they moved our group to March 22.

Thanks so much for the update. So, it now looks like the Star will be in dry dock in the Los Angeles area approx. March 1 - March 21. Really looking forward to the upgrades and changes.

Thanks so much for the update. So, it now looks like the Star will be in dry dock in the Los Angeles area approx. March 1 - March 21. Really looking forward to the upgrades and changes.

Hi, I believe you have the correct dates here.

We're booked on the Star's 13-day Panama Canal cruise right before then (Feb 16-Mar 1) and some of the others on our roll call who were on a 20 day (the Panama Canal + Mexican Riveria) got their Mexican Riveria canceled out from under them. Ouch!

The PC cruise will be our first NCL cruise, so we're hoping the Star will be in decent shape.

Best wishes to all!

• 3 months later...
Does anyone have an update, I'm looking at booking the 5 day 3-17 to 3-22 sail to Cabo would that be her first sail out of dry dock?

That is what I'm seeing on the NCL website. The 5 day Cabo trip is supposed to be the first one out of dry dock.

Good Luck!

• 4 weeks later...