Electronics in flight

romaine

You could also try www.seatguru.com - you put in your flight number and time, and a diagram of the plane will come up showing good and bad seats and with descriptions about the facilities available in each seat as well. I use this for all of my flights and have found some wonderful seats I would not have otherwise known about!

We have an 8 hour flight from Philadelphia to Rome on USair. My DH cannot live without his laptop. Was wonder if there are any power sources in coach to recharge laptops, ipad or phone

I have found that on all but newer planes, power outlets seem to be limited to Business and First Class, but SeatGuru.com is a good source for finding out what your flight will offer in each cabin class. Also important to note, TA flights will NOT have WiFi.

We have an 8 hour flight from Philadelphia to Rome on USair. My DH cannot live without his laptop. Was wonder if there are any power sources in coach to recharge laptops, ipad or phone

If your flight does not have in-seat power, there are devices you can buy that boost battery power for mobile electronics. Try a quick ebay search for laptop external battery. Have a great cruise!

Check SeatGuru.com They have seating charts that indicate "best" seat etc

Carole

Check SeatGuru.com They have seating charts that indicate "best" seat etc

Carole

Be careful with seatguru. They indicated that my selected seat was Economy Comfort when it was just plain Economy, so double check with the airline.

Even if your airplane seat does have a power supply, be sure you know in advance what type of power supply it is, as it may NOT be the 110V AC power that you get at home, in which case, your plug won't work with it. The plane seat may have a DC power supply, in which case you'll need a specific adapter depending on the type of DC outlet it is.

This page at seatguru.com has a good bit of information about this:

http://www.seatguru.com/articles/in-seat_laptop_power.php

(BTW: a year ago, when we were headed for China in business class, I bought the EmPower DC adapter sold by Magellan, as that is what we needed on United. It pretty much fried my iPod Touch.)

I have found that on all but newer planes, power outlets seem to be limited to Business and First Class, but SeatGuru.com is a good source for finding out what your flight will offer in each cabin class. Also important to note, TA flights will NOT have WiFi.

Like the OP, I like to have my laptop along and in use to help pass the time, listen to tunes, edit pictures, read files on where we are headed, etc. SeatGuru can be helpful. Some coach seats will have the plugs where you can use the car-style converter to get regular 110 juice. That has worked for me with American Airlines going to and back from Europe. Checking ahead is clearly the top priority and getting one of the seats with this option. Then, hope that it is working OK. Good luck!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 98,240 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

To tell you the truth... US Airways is not looking to put more things in coach. The only time you will see the plugs on the 757, 767, or the A330 aircraft is in envoy.

If you want the power, pay for the upgrade:D. Sometimes the upgrade is a lot cheaper at time of Check-in (24 hours before the flight), if only envoy is not full!

Be careful with seatguru. They indicated that my selected seat was Economy Comfort when it was just plain Economy, so double check with the airline.

Many times, there are various layouts of the same aircraft type, so that can cause confusion. The best way to figure out exactly what layout yours has is to take a look at the seating chart on their (airline) website, and cross reference things like row numbers (first row of coach, exit row(s)) to figure it out.

For example, American Airlines has two layouts in their 737-800 aircraft, and my giveaway is that I look at the seating chart for my flight on AA.com and see if the exit rows are Rows 13/14 or Rows 14/15.

Archived