If it;s raining ....

Sat1

If it is something that you would get wet for anyway and it was not particularly cold and there was no lightening - sure. However, lightening can be dangerous to people in small water craft, so I would also take the presence or lack of lightening into consideration in my decision process. If it was lightening in the area, I'd say it was a no-go. Read here to understand more:

http://askville.amazon.com/relative-risk-lake-boat-lightening-thunder-storm/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=2679195

I am from the Pacific Northwest, and I'm used to dealing with outdoor activities in the rain.

If I was on a cruise, I'm pretty sure I would still continue and do the excursion in spite of the rain. I may never get back to have a chance to experience the place and wouldn't want to miss it!

I mean a "get wet rain", would you go on a shore excursion or tour you have paid for? :)

If it were a primarily outside tour I probably would pass it up. But if it were a predominantly inside tour than I would surely go.

Scott & Karen

Edited by CaveDiving
Incorrect english

I don't think I'd ever pass up on something I've looked forward to and paid for (no refunds if the weather puts you off) - certainly rain wouldn't put me off.

How much you'll enjoy depends on other aspects of the weather, for instance warm rain or cold rain - rain in the Caribbean can be very refreshing.

Mebbe in San Antonio rain at 8am means rain all day.

But that's not the case in most parts of the world - foul weather at the start can turn into a glorious day. Now it would really grieve you if you passed-up a tour only to find that very soon the rain had given way to sunshine :p

JB :)

Neither of us is the Wicked Witch of the West. We won't melt if we get wet. ;)

My Dad always told me I wasn't made out of sugar or salt so I wouldn't melt. :)

We just wear water resistant jackets with hoods and carry a small umbrella (more to keep my camera dry then for us).

If it is a land based tour, say in Europe, to me it's a no brainer - go. I would also pack a waterproof day bag with some dry clothes in case I needed to change. This is actually one of the reasons I typically wear a sundress and sandals in Europe - if my legs and feet get wet, so what? They will dry. I can cover the entire dress with a raincoat.

Many years ago, I suffered a catastrophic injury to my left arm that took an entire year to heal and rehabilitate. During that time, I found all sorts of amazing devices that allowed me to continue on doing what I normally did while I could not use my left arm. One of the devices I found was a hands free umbrella:

http://brellabag.com

Sure it looks a little goofy (although not as bad as those umbrellas hats!), but on the other hand I couldn't use my left arm at all and this made up for that and it works great!

The only time we did not participate in a tour because of rain was in Quebec City when it was raining so hard and wind blowing so strong, the rain was 'horizontal'. It was a walking tour and not worth it to us to deal with that. The cruise line did not refund our money which was okay. They didn't think 'a little rain' would be too bothersome on our walking tour.

Might take a small towel so we could wipe off the condensation on the inside of tour bus. Also a carrier bag to take the wet ponchos/brollies etc for when the weather cleared up

Sandy in Spain

I would go too.

Generally, rain (even heavy rain) in the Caribbean isn't constant so there will be breaks in the weather. We have found that tour operators will often alter the tour so that more time is spent indoors or more time is spent sightseeing from the tourbus.

Edited by DonnaK

Back in November we were at the Dzibilchaltún ruins in Mexico when a quick shower hit. Our guide said the rain god was smiling on us. We all went under a tree fro a few minutes and it stopped.

Later, we were at Altun Ha in Belize where it really rained. I had a rain coat and was fine. Others simply waited under a tree.

Back in 2012, we were in Panama on an excursion to a native village in a dug out canoe. Along the way to the village it started to pour. I had a good hat on. It was hot and wet, but no problem-I was wearing outdoor clothing designed for fast drying. When we got to the village, we went to the main hut and got out of the rain.

It was a great tour.

Rain happens, go with the flow.

Not at all! The second I stepped off the ship at Dubrovnik. it started pouring down. I was drenched in 2 seconds flat. It was THE HEAVIEST rain we've ever seen, (and coming from New Zealand we're used to rain as it rains a LOT!) We went back on the ship to wait out the storm, then headed into town. Didn't even bother changing as I knew I'd probably just get wet again. Did curse myself for not bringing a jacket though