United....seat assignment guarantee?

BaileyandBella

Hi

My mom and I will be flying from Los Angeles to New York and we are looking at United, economy flights.

We want aisle seats across from each other. Their website shows plenty of seats available.

When we book and choose our seats, are they guaranteed?

If not, and they move us, will they seperate us?

Thanks

Seats are never guaranteed. Doesn't matter what fare, what airline, what class, or what status you have. It's just never a guarantee. It can change last second, or it may never change. More often than not, if the aircraft type stays the same, you're probably not going to experience a seat change. But, that's far from a guarantee.

Are there some airlines that are better than others about keeping the seat you picked?

So basically we will have no idea where we MIGHT be sitting?

I'm not really sure if airlines are better or worse. Most of the seat changes, in my experience, have to do with change in the type of aircraft. In that case, the further out you book, the more likely it might happen. Odds are, they won't change the aircraft type one month odd, but there is a decent chance they would 10 months out. It's really hit or miss, and you never know. If I am booking far out, say for a very special trip or a major holiday, I end up getting an aircraft swap (and thus change in seat) 50% of the time, if not more. If I am booking for work and book 4-8 weeks out, it's almost never an issue and I end up with the same seat I picked when I booked.

I don't see anywhere that you mention when you are flying, so I am not quite sure what to advise. If the flight is next week, you should be safe; if it's 10 months from now, just keep an eye on it.

Are there some airlines that are better than others about keeping the seat you picked?

The seats are NOT guaranteed, however, the odds are with you (I'd guess at 98%) that you'll get the seats you choose.

As mentioned, the main reason you could be moved is if the airline changes plane type. Let's say now you're on a 737 and they change the plane to a 767,,, then,,,they will reassign seats.

If it's really important, just go online and review your reservation evey couple of weeks. If you get changed, you can change back on line.

Exactly what Zach says. Be sure to log into the united website and check on your seat assignments every once in awhile. When you get close to your departure date, check more frequently.

Equipment changes are the most frequent reason for moves. Now, with the united/continental merge, you may see more than the usual amount of changes as the "new" company gets it's routing and equipment all merged, too.

Just be vigilant.

Thanks all....

Our trip is Mid October.

Are the chances any better or worse by type of plane? The prices are the same for a 737 vs a 757.

No, that has nothing to do with it. It all has to do with what United determines is the correct aircraft for the route. For example, say they originally scheduled a 737-800 (152 seats) but determined that demand calls for a 757-200 (188 seats), and another route was originally schedule with a 757-200 but they can get away with a smaller 737-800. They may swap those aircraft to better fit demand on the flights so as to maximize the profit. It can obviously get a lot more complicated than that (cargo payload requirements, maintenance needs/checks, etc. etc.) but that's a basic example to show you why aircraft changes can happen.

4 months out, it can still change, but the odds aren't as great as, say 10 months out. Do keep an eye on it though. In my personal experience, I've never had a change of aircraft once the 2 month mark has passed (except one time when I was scheduled on a 777-200 from Atlanta to Paris that had maintenance issues just before boarding, and they couldn't get another, so they had to pull in a 767-300 and that was a mess - reassigned seats for every passenger, not enough seats for everyone who was booked, etc. etc.). But, that's just me, and I am sure other people have experienced it.

My favorite aircraft change happened when I was scheduled to fly Los Angeles to Washington Dulles on United. It was originally a 737-800 (approximately 150 seats), but was changed twice and when the flight actually occurred, it was on a 777-200 (approx. 260-275 seats).

I found this from this article (http://travel.usatoday.com/experts/mcgee/story/2012-03-28/Are-airlines-withholding-seats-so-youll-pay-a-premium/53810316/1)

When budgeting your airfares, make sure you consider not just baggage fees but the added cost of seat selection

Are all airlines charging to pick your seat?

:confused:

I found this from this article (http://travel.usatoday.com/experts/mcgee/story/2012-03-28/Are-airlines-withholding-seats-so-youll-pay-a-premium/53810316/1)

Are all airlines charging to pick your seat?

:confused:

No. Some airlines may charge for all seats, and most airlines (in the US) will charge from some seats. United doesn't make you pay for a seat choice, but they do charge for some seats, including the extra legroom (Economy Plus) seats.

Thanks

Is there a website that lists which airlines charge extra for seat selection?

I'm sure there is but you would have to Google, as I can't think of any off the top of my head. Things change often so make sure it's as recent as you can find.

Thanks

Is there a website that lists which airlines charge extra for seat selection?

If you are flying economy, I can't think of any US carrier that does not have a large selection of seats that you may choose at no charge.

In addition to watching your seats as time passes, check in online at whatever time your airline allows (usually with 24 hours of your first flight of the day), get to the airport plenty early and check your baggage.

Go through the TSA and figure out where your gate is and don't wander too far away. Make sure you at at your gate ready to board when that starts.

A late arrival at your gate can lose you your seats!

In all my decades of flying I've only lost a seat assignment once on flights where the type of aircraft did not change. I wouldn't worry.

If you are flying economy, I can't think of any US carrier that does not have a large selection of seats that you may choose at no charge.

Generally true, but since OP is learning the "ropes"...

Most US airlines do not charge to make a seat request. However, some seats in their Economy are better than others, and there's an "up charge" for them. The cost depends on the length of the flight and demand. AA, UA, DL, and Virgin America have extra-legroom rows as well...don't confuse this with "Premium Economy" on many foreign airlines that provide better meals and other services in addition to just legroom.

Slightly different, Southwest, Allegiant and Spirit do not take seat requests at all without an up charge. In the case of Southwest the extra fee gets you an earlier spot in their "cattle call" but it's still unassigned seating. The other two allow a seat request. But the seats are the same throughout Economy.

UA is fairly good at not changing the seats that were originally requested. That should be even more true on JFK-LAX flights. From personal experience, don't wait to see if ideal seats show up. Request seats now, even if they aren't ideal. Check maybe once a week, then every few days in the last month, and daily in the last week before travel. The last checks should be 24 hours ahead (when you check in online), and at the airport kiosk. Better seats will often open up and you can change right up to the time your boarding pass is scanned.

Hope this helps...you're frankly worrying about it too much. The worst case is you will be seated apart for 6 hours. If sitting together is absolutely crucial, you may be able to switch with another aisle passenger within a few rows of you. Or, someone in a middle seat should be happy to trade for an aisle so you and your mom are aisle/middle. As others suggest, a Google search will bring up tables of seat request fees on multiple websites.

When we book and choose our seats, are they guaranteed? No

If not, and they move us, will they seperate us? Maybe

No, you MIGHT (probably?) will be seating in the seats you requested. But if you're asking if you know where you might be if they move you, then no- there is no way to predict that "IF they move you it will probably be to seat XX."

When we book and choose our seats, are they guaranteed?

If not, and they move us, will they seperate us?

You need to understand that when you book on a flight, you are not making a reservation for a specific seat in the way that you would if you went to a theatre. If you have a reservation for a flight, it will be for a seat on the flight and not any specific seat - even if the airline allocates you a particular seat in advance.

Even a reservation for a flight is not a guarantee that you will be carried on that flight at all. Still less is an advance seat allocation a guarantee that you will be able to sit in that seat when the flight departs.

My sis called from the airport this morning. Had made a reservation to Colorado Springs last month but did not get a seat assignment. All they showed that was available was the "extra legroom" seats for $15. She decided not to pay the extra and wait until she got to the airport (bad decision). Got to the airport this morning and they told her the only way she would get from TX to Colorado Springs was if someone gave up their seat. This was United.

My sis called from the airport this morning. Had made a reservation to Colorado Springs last month but did not get a seat assignment. All they showed that was available was the "extra legroom" seats for $15. She decided not to pay the extra and wait until she got to the airport (bad decision). Got to the airport this morning and they told her the only way she would get from TX to Colorado Springs was if someone gave up their seat. This was United.

A few weeks ago I flew Chicago to Kansas City and booked fairly last minute (for me at least...10 days out) on United, an airline I have no status on. I too was only given the options of buying an E+ seat or just waiting until I checked in. I checked in online 24 hours ahead and got an E+ seat for free. That's ridiculous that she was told she couldn't get on the plane. But, I'm not really familiar with how United operates since I use them so rarely.

Another thing to monitor with United reservations: if your ticket consists of several segments, and if UA cancels the first flight in the sequence, their system may automatically start cancelling your reservations for the all of the other segments!

This happened to me last month. They cancelled the actual flight for the first segment from New Hampshire to Chicago, and while I was enroute to Chicago on an alternate UA flight from Boston that same morning, the reservations system cancelled my prepaid reservation for the Chicago to Vancouver segment for later that day. While a ticketing agent in Chicago was trying to fix this, she saw the system starting to cancel the prepaid segments on my return journey, which wasn't for 2 weeks yet!

So the UA system gave my prepaid Chicago to Vancouver res to someone else. I ended up having to go through SanFran to get from Chicago to Vancouver. Four airports in one day... What a schlep!

Another thing to monitor with United reservations: if your ticket consists of several segments, and if UA cancels the first flight in the sequence, their system may automatically start cancelling your reservations for the all of the other segments!

This happened to me last month. They cancelled the actual flight for the first segment from New Hampshire to Chicago, and while I was enroute to Chicago on an alternate UA flight from Boston that same morning, the reservations system cancelled my prepaid reservation for the Chicago to Vancouver segment for later that day. While a ticketing agent in Chicago was trying to fix this, she saw the system starting to cancel the prepaid segments on my return journey, which wasn't for 2 weeks yet!

So the UA system gave my prepaid Chicago to Vancouver res to someone else. I ended up having to go through SanFran to get from Chicago to Vancouver. Four airports in one day... What a schlep!

Your reference of "prepaid" reservation cracks me up. You don't just get an invoice after the flight like the rest of us?!?! ;)

:D

Just emphasizing that UA gave away something I'd paid for and that I'd never cancelled. I'm still waiting for the refund from UA for the diff in tix i paid for (Biz/First) and what I ended up actually flying in (Economy).

I used to fly United a lot 20+ years ago. Never again. I'll stick with Delta.

Just emphasizing that UA gave away something I'd paid for and that I'd never cancelled.
Actually, technically that's not quite right.

You paid for a ticket, but what UA was cancelling was reservations. You can have a ticket without reservations, and you can have reservations without a ticket.

Normally, nobody either needs to or wants to think about the difference. But sometimes, understanding that can help understand what you need to do or what your options are.

Archived