Glacier Bay Question

UM-Fan

I have read that when you start to cruise around Glacier Bay for the day on an Alaska cruise, a park ranger boards the ship and gives a narrative of what you are seeing. Will someone please explain how that works. Does the ranger talk over the PA system? Do they just stand on one of the decks and you have to stand by them to hear what they are saying? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

I could only really hear them while standing next to the speakers out on the deck, but they are around if you have any questions. This was last year (Zuiderdam) All the best, Tony

hLutZrgzE6I

Thanks, Tony. Love your videos. Watched your Italy ones several times before I went on a Venice to Rome cruise last year.

Now, thanks again to you, I know the names of what I saw in Glacier Bay this July:D. Didn't see this one before I went. We had even more glorious weather than you - total sun and people out on the decks in light sweaters - even t-shirts.

Where is your next adventure taking you?

Cheers

There will be lectures in the Show Lounge from the Rangers as well as the Natives who come on board. Usually early morning and afternoon.

Narrative is on and off during the day. On some ships the loudspeakers on decks are good and you can hear everything.

Also, usually mid-day or it could be anytime, some of the Rangers will be out on decks answering questions. Especially at Margarie and afterwards.

If you have the right Captain, there will also be wildlife sightings pointed out from the bridge.

Remember the Pea Soup on decks, usually 10 am.

Thanks, Tony. Love your videos. Watched your Italy ones several times before I went on a Venice to Rome cruise last year.

Now, thanks again to you, I know the names of what I saw in Glacier Bay this July:D. Didn't see this one before I went. We had even more glorious weather than you - total sun and people out on the decks in light sweaters - even t-shirts.

Where is your next adventure taking you?

Cheers

Thanks Catherine, they are just a bit of fun to help me remember where I went when I am old and grey (soon :))

The 'next' adventure has been and gone - it was in July on Veendam, a B2B Boston-Bermuda- Boston and then Boston to Quebec City. The vids for that are in the Bermuda and Atlantic Canada/New England links below, with Sydney, PEI and Quebec still to be made (probably 6 more videos)

Thanks for the information everyone and for the great video clip that was added to the thread. I can't wait to get there and see everything in person!

I will have to remember to get some of that pea soup. It is one of my favorite soups! :)

I have read that when you start to cruise around Glacier Bay for the day on an Alaska cruise, a park ranger boards the ship and gives a narrative of what you are seeing. Will someone please explain how that works. Does the ranger talk over the PA system? Do they just stand on one of the decks and you have to stand by them to hear what they are saying? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

There are two rangers and a Tlinket Interpreter. One of the rangers is in the crows nest as is the interpreter The other ranger is on the Bridge to give narration..

Right -- don't forget the Pea Soup -- it lasts only a short time.

It has been served on our cruises around 10 AM -- even in the Crows Nest.

Saw it on deck, wanted it but missed it. Was pleasantly surprised to find it with the lido lunch. :D

We spent a good bit of the day on our veranda. We had the TV on to listen to the commentary. At noon we had room service deliver lunch - club sandwiches and hot pea soup. Very yummy and a good way to see Glacier Bay.