Is Royal next to do an all inclusive ship? NCL just announced theirs

http://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/sky?&cheetahid=AAAAAA&cid=EM_MKD_NA_TCT_EML_Sky_EML_SHIPSKY_SKY042415_NA#inclusive

NCL is making the Sky (3-4 day Bahamas) an all inclusive ship at of 2016 sailings onwards. Basically, looks like the reservations now all include the drinks package - no longer being just an option.

I've not paid close attention to what anyone else is doing, but I wonder if this is the trend, and if Royal will be next to launch their experiment.

That is a good possibility. All-inclusive resorts are getting more popular and taking cruisers away because alcohol and water sports are included.

The only negative is it will most likely raise the prices of cruises. That will discourage some from taking that ship or cruise line. My 88 year old father always says he doesn't want to pay for other peoples drinks. BTW, he only drinks one beer on Saturdays with dinner. :p

I'll avoid that ship, thank you. As that NCL ship offers nothing but short itineraries, I predict it will be full of drunks looking for a booze cruise.

I'm pissed at Royal for raising drink prices and pushing packages, but this isn't what I want.

I think this is perfect for the Sky 3-day, for sure. The last time I sailed on that ship, it seemed to be a weekend getaway for many locals and they are out to party. I rather enjoyed it. I am curious how it will impact the pricing. we did purchase the all-inclusive package and were shocked how many people did not. We saw many younger people who did not have the "sticker" and I'm sure their tabs were well over $100 each day. I think they might have done better with those that weren't aware it existed.

I don't see RCI doing this immediately with their short routes. I don't think they get the same clientele in that way. It seems they have more families on their short routes than the Sky did. I could be wrong though.

Interesting idea, could see the Carnival short cruises out of Miami, and Port Canaveral trying this out, and possibly the Enchantment when it comes to Miami in May 2016.

Short cruises are really known for quick getaways, and more drinking/partying.:D

While alcohol is one of the items covered in an "all inclusive" vacation- it's not the only one. I think we tend to focus too much on that one item. There are luxury cruise lines that are all inclusive as well as all inclusive resorts. I'm sure they have lots of guests that don't drink but they still pay the full price without complaining about "subsidizing everyone's alcohol consumption."

Considering all of the things that are extra now- bottled water, fresh squeezed orange juice, specialty restaurants- an all inclusive might work for me.

3-4 day cruises tend to have more of a party atmosphere IMHO. I think that included beverages will "enhance" the cruisers experience. Hope it doesn't continue to longer cruises tho!

I love the party atmosphere. But we don't drink enough to pay for it.

Some on the NCL boards have already posted that they have seen fares increase by $150pp for sailings on that ship.

Bottom line is it's not free. I think that they are alienating too many that do not drink and the 3 day party ship will just get worse.

Yep nothing is free. See "free 123" on Celebrity or whathever RCCL has called it, the cruises that "include" that always cost more........:rolleyes: It seems the "all inclusive" thing is getting more pervasive on the cruises, it could get to the point where it's almost always "included" and that would just increase the prices for everyone whether they drink heavily or not......:rolleyes:

While alcohol is one of the items covered in an "all inclusive" vacation- it's not the only one. I think we tend to focus too much on that one item. There are luxury cruise lines that are all inclusive as well as all inclusive resorts. I'm sure they have lots of guests that don't drink but they still pay the full price without complaining about "subsidizing everyone's alcohol consumption."

Considering all of the things that are extra now- bottled water, fresh squeezed orange juice, specialty restaurants- an all inclusive might work for me.

I agree. Especially with the highlighted part.

I thought RCCL was already all inclusive.

Sometimes all inclusive can be al la carte also.

If you prepay everything "a la carte" than it is a custom all inclusive package

1. Prepay cruise

2. Prepay tips

3. Prepay soda

4. Prepay booze

5. Prepay excursions

6. Prepay picture package

7. Prepay speciality restaurant

I now get on the ship, and leave with a $50.00 or less invoice.

Also don't forget that this is not a truly all inclusive. It is only one of the alcohol packages that are included. The specialty restaurants are still extra.

Agreed. Its only the drinks packaged added to the price/increase so not close to an all inclusive. If this is truly more of a party boat(I have never been on) it could just be their way of cost control. No need to worry about shared packages and drink revenue lost.

That may have nothing to do with it but I wouldn't be surprised

Agreed. Its only the drinks packaged added to the price/increase so not close to an all inclusive. If this is truly more of a party boat(I have never been on) it could just be their way of cost control. No need to worry about shared packages and drink revenue lost.

I bet that has everything to do with it.

On NCL if one person buys a drink package, all in the cabin must buy the package.

Havingfun2010, you make a good point to a certain extent. Plus, you can customize your "all-inclusive" package. I prefer to pay for those things up front and be able to manage a budget for my vacation since funds are not unlimited. Even shore excursions sometimes if I can't find something private that suits us better. It provides a more relaxed feeling for me onboard while on the vacation knowing that I won't have a big sea pass account waiting for me at the end. :)

Some on the NCL boards have already posted that they have seen fares increase by $150pp for sailings on that ship.

Bottom line is it's not free. I think that they are alienating too many that do not drink and the 3 day party ship will just get worse.

Not free, but close!

The prices I see today are as follows,,

RCL Majesty 3 day OV $239.

NCL Sky 3 day OV $269. ($30. total more PP for free drinks, not bad)

RCL Majesty 4 day OV $262.

NCL Sky 4 day OV $289. ($27.total more PP for free drinks, again not bad)

So it would seem a pretty good deal right now!:D

When I go to an AI Everything is included. All restaurants, all drinks-not just alcohol, gratuities and most activities at the resort. What NCL is doing is not even close to being called an AI cruise.

When we go to Beaches, my husband does not drink alcohol but sure does make use of milkshakes, smoothies and real specialty flavored coffees! Include these things and then its coming close to an AI cruise.

Not free, but close!

The prices I see today are as follows,,

RCL Majesty 3 day OV $239.

NCL Sky 3 day OV $269. ($30. total more PP for free drinks, not bad)

RCL Majesty 4 day OV $262.

NCL Sky 4 day OV $289. ($27.total more PP for free drinks, again not bad)

So it would seem a pretty good deal right now!:D

Yes, it is. Great savings on alcohol by doing an NCL shortie!! :D

For 3-4 day cruises this getting unlimited drinks makes sense. It's more local staycation cruisers. It's more party boat, wouldn't want to take it around spring break time at all.

Think it would be very appealing to college students and teens.

Pardon me if I take the more cynical approach, but if RC does this all inclusive thing, I'll bet it is more along the lines of a "limited time" promotion that goes on forever offering "free drink package".

Pardon me if I take the more cynical approach, but if RC does this all inclusive thing, I'll bet it is more along the lines of a "limited time" promotion that goes on forever offering "free drink package".

You never know, RC might do an 'all inclusive'. But of course with the current management they'd include the booze package and charge extra for towels, lounge chairs, whirlpools would be charged by the minute, and of course toilet paper would cost you a buck per sheet :eek:

It all depends on what is included in the "all inclusive" package.

Myself and my travel companions do not drink alcohol nor a large amount of soda (1-2 per sailing), maybe 1 or more speciality coffees. So that really it does not make sense for us to have an "all inclusive" package.

On the luxury cruise lines, "all inclusive" includes unlimited shore excursions, no extra charge restaurants and gratituites. Is this the way RCL would interpret it? If so, cruise pricing would be going up to the $5, $6 or $8,000 level on 3, 4, 5 or 7-day sailings.

Be careful what you wish for!:confused:

MARAPRINCE

With the price increases, and the offering of all the packages for drinks, as perks etc. They are looking for a excuses or a business model to have a all inclusive cruise ship. I can see the 3 day or 4 day cruise mentioned above, but I think a 7 day cruise from say FLL or MIA, is also a better possibility, due to demographics of the population and income.

Having said that, I drink alcohol, especially wine and a few beers, but not enough to spend for a drink package. So for us many other cruisers, it would not be a option. Well, unless the price was SUPER great.

PS I do think it would be FUN as a observer, I think RC would and could control the over drinkers.