Luminae Formal Nights

cruisedad2

I do hope so. One of the three bags that we will be dragging from London via Seattle will largely contain the High Command's formal gear so finding we are done up like a dog's dinner (English saying) on the formal nights but standing out like a sore thumb (another English saying) would be rather disappointing. :D

I would not pay any attention to percentages as they can fluctuate throughout the evening as people who finish dinner leave and new people arrive.

So as others have stated, just wear whatever makes you happy and as long as it is within the smart casual or above dress code you will be fine.

Why do so many people think that Luminae and Blu do not observe formal nights? From everything I can see, they do.

So many people say it because it's the case! The formal dress code only apples to the MDR. If people who dine in other venues want to go formal they can, but it's not required. Some choose to go formal on non formal nights. They can if they wish. Choice, not the rule. I've been in Blu for more than 20 cruises and can tell you that formal dress is the exception, not the rule. Many are strictly "smart casual", some wear a jacket over an open shirt, some wear formal. Numbers wearing what tends to vary with length and itinairy of cruise.

Both Blu and Luminae have a dress code of Smart Casual everyday. But if you want to dress up, I know no one would mind!

Luminae -> http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard-celebrity/cruise-restaurants-luminae

Blu -> http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard-celebrity/cruise-restaurants-luminae

Main Dining Room -> http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard-celebrity/cruise-restaurants-main-dining

I don.t mean to beat a dead horse (what a horrible expression), nor am I judging anyone's pesonal choice.

However, the website is somewhat misleading. I specifically called Celebrity on this. And if you think about it, it makes perfect sense.

Why would the MDR observe formal nights, but Luminae (which is for suoite only class and is located in a section of the MDR) not? It really doesn't make any sense.

However, the days of evening gowns and tuxedos are long gone. Still it is nice when everyone makes the marginally extra effort on those nights to dress up bit.

I don.t mean to beat a dead horse (what a horrible expression), nor am I judging anyone's pesonal choice.

However, the website is somewhat misleading. I specifically called Celebrity on this. And if you think about it, it makes perfect sense.

Why would the MDR observe formal nights, but Luminae (which is for suoite only class and is located in a section of the MDR) not? It really doesn't make any sense.

However, the days of evening gowns and tuxedos are long gone. Still it is nice when everyone makes the marginally extra effort on those nights to dress up bit.

Sense or not: Celebrity makes the rules and that's what they decided to apply formal night rules only to the MDR. Perhaps they will change, perhaps they won't, but the status quo is the status quotas determined by Celebrity.

When a ship designates any night "formal" there are certainly differences in Blu. I have noticed that the waiters sometimes dress up a little more. There are photographers floating around and there may be special menu items. So in this sense, Blu (or Luminae) observes "formal" nights.

However this does not mean that passengers need to observe a formal dress code. It is part of the definition of any restaurant outside the MDR that smart casual and above always applies. The restaurants can observe formal night in any way they like EXCEPT by forcing passengers to dress formally. They can encourage it (and most people respond in at least some small way), but not enforce it.

Edited by gek

I would guess that Celebrity has decided that suite guests aren't all that attracted to formal nights.

I would guess that Celebrity has decided that suite guests aren't all that attracted to formal nights.

Most of the people in Luminae on our last cruise were dressed up on Formal Night, in fact most of them were well dressed on most nights. I don't know what you base your "guess" on but maybe you can make an educated guess when you have experienced a Celebrity cruise in Luminae.

Edited by Ma Bell

Three of our last 4 cruises have been in Aqua. We dined in Blu on formal evenings and I wore jeans. I did not have any problems. The other cruise I wore a black suit and tie in Select MDR. I can't even tell you who was wearing what at dinner. Our next 5 cruises on Celebrity we are in Aqua and will be dining at Blu. I don't feel out of place wearing jeans and a shirt or a polo on any evening. We like to travel light.

Actually, it is the same for MDR, Blu and Luminae. There are specific nights set aside as formal nights.

The fact that many people choose to ignore it, is a different issue.

As stated above it is NOT the same for the MDR and the specialty restaurants. We have been on many Celebrity cruises and the dress code for Luminae as well as the other specialty is smart casual every night.

Whether it makes sense to you or not, that is the dress code as designated by Celebrity. We always take long vacation and do not like to take suits and formal wear as they take up a lot of room in the suitcase. That is one additional reason why we book Suites, so we do not have to "dress up" for dinner on formal nights and can still have a fantastic dinner in Luminae, rather than go to the buffet. Many of the people we have met and talked to in Michael's Club, now for Suites only, feel the same way.

My wife and I went on an Alaska cruise and ate in luminae. We were scared to get yelled at by the old people about dress code so we were obedient to their outdated demands and dressed up a little bit for formal nights. We were the most dressed up people in luminae the first formal night. The Cruise Critic Senior users let us down. Needless to say, I wore jeans the second formal night.

I do hope so. One of the three bags that we will be dragging from London via Seattle will largely contain the High Command's formal gear so finding we are done up like a dog's dinner (English saying) on the formal nights but standing out like a sore thumb (another English saying) would be rather disappointing. :D

You will not be. Those who stuck out on our cruise were those not in formal dress. That was on our transpacific when most of our Roll Call were doing multiple B2Bs and/or extended land tours. [it was a very large Roll Call - i.e. a sizeable percentage of the passengers on board and, thus, probably a better representation than usual.]

I have noticed an increasing tendency for people to state that Luminae is "section of the MDR" in threads not about Luminae. The space may have once been part of the MDR but it is a very separate room and not recognisable as a "section of the MDR".

Edited by Project_gal

We take many cruises (Elite plus), most of which are long (B2B2B). One of the reasons we always book suites is so we don't have to deal with Formal night dinners in the MDR. We do however always dress appropriately, Smart Casual. Much more comfortable, and don't have to bring as many clothes. It is all about choices. I don't mind that some people like to dress formal, and I hope that people don't mind that I don't. I really don't understand why people feel they have the need to impose their personal desires/values on other people.

Orator, I think we were on a TA with you in 2014. Hope to see you on another cruise:)

Alan

We take many cruises (Elite plus), most of which are long (B2B2B). One of the reasons we always book suites is so we don't have to deal with Formal night dinners in the MDR. We do however always dress appropriately, Smart Casual. Much more comfortable, and don't have to bring as many clothes. It is all about choices. I don't mind that some people like to dress formal, and I hope that people don't mind that I don't. I really don't understand why people feel they have the need to impose their personal desires/values on other people.

Orator, I think we were on a TA with you in 2014. Hope to see you on another cruise:)

Alan

I am never sure why formal wear is not considered comfortable. There must be a lot of bad shoppers out their. I try never to purchase uncomfortable clothes, formal or otherwise.