Visa free in St Petersburg - a workaround

We have booked our tours through a well known company for two days in St Petersburg. We have been emailed our tickets to show immigration so we can get through and then meet up with our group.

However..the thought just occured to us..surely some people must just show these tickets - then NOT meet up with the group! ie - then have two free DIY days in st petersburg! Yes I understand you would be without a visa - and so would have to be careful not to get any spot checks by police..but other than that - this is totally possible to do isnt it??!

Does anyone know how often the police do ask to see passport/visa..Do hotels ask to see a visa when checking in?

Tony

We have booked our tours through a well known company for two days in St Petersburg. We have been emailed our tickets to show immigration so we can get through and then meet up with our group.

However..the thought just occured to us..surely some people must just show these tickets - then NOT meet up with the group! ie - then have two free DIY days in st petersburg! Yes I understand you would be without a visa - and so would have to be careful not to get any spot checks by police..but other than that - this is totally possible to do isnt it??!

Does anyone know how often the police do ask to see passport/visa..Do hotels ask to see a visa when checking in?

Tony

Really? You would be at ease touring around St. Petersburg, Russia without the required Visa well knowing you are breaking several laws? The Russian police don't need a reason to stop you to ask for your documents and I have NEVER heard of anyone considering this as an option in visiting St. Petersburg. I don't mean to sound so harsh but this is truly a careless and irresponsible thought.

Dolfans from Miami

Do you know Russian?

I would be quite frightened of getting lost and unable to read any signs! Plus I do not think the locals are as friendly as in some countries (impression from what I have read) and may not be that keen to help.

Also, you would have to pay for all your entry tickets, camera approval etc a second time ...

musicaldirector,

In order to re-board the ship, there will be Russian Immigration/Customs officers checking documentation and probably stamping passports. If they see no visa and you are trying to embark without being part of the tour group for which you have tickets, I am afraid you could be setting yourself up for some trouble.

I would not try this!

If the guide is waiting for you with the rest of the group you could be reported missing by the guide

The guide is responsible for you while you ashore & could lose their license

They are not going to let you go off on your own

Something to think about

. . .surely some people must just show these tickets - then NOT meet up with the group!

Good one.

I can't wait to read the posts about your DIY adventures, and especially about the ease with which you and your traveling companion(s) passed through immigration control on your return to the ship.

The tour group has your information: Name, home address, ship info, email address, etc, and I'm sure they'll be happy to provide that data to the authorities. AFTER they stood there for an hour or so making everyone else in your group miss an hour or so of touring time that they paid for.

Try it. I hope you end up in the brig.

Will look for you on "Locked-up Abroad".

If you make it back to the ship(they will be looking for you), good chance you will be arrested before you get on the ship. Of course, you will then have an extended stay - courtesy of the Russian Government and no Visa is required!

Have fun.

In answer to the question "do hotels ask to see visa"

You have to show passport - which has the visa in them. Perhaps Scuba can fill in more. I seem to remember (but not 100% sure this was the country) of the hotel desk keeping them for a period of time (a few hours) when we were in Moscow, so that the visas could be registered with authorities.

Just did a web search. It was Russia (guess I wasn't as jetlagged brain dead as I thought) - the following is quoted from a visa service:

"On arrival, all visitors to Russia must register their visa and passport with Local Visa Office (OVIR). If you are staying in a hotel, the registration desk will do this for you upon checking in. (Your passport and visa may be held for a few hours or days at the hotel registration desk.)"

Just get a Russian visa. It is spendy though. We were in Russia last year on our own (not on a cruise) and were only asked for a passport and visa at our hotel

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Tony

Tony

Since this is your first post here on Cruise Critic we will let this go as temporary insanity. All the others including myself will give you great advice.

'Do NOT mess with the Russian Authorities" They do not smile at you when you go thru immigration, they do not even acknowledge you in any way, except to say "NEXT'. Plus, if you COULD get away with this on day one, for sure they tour company would have the police waiting for you on day two.

Unless you are fluent in Russian, you will attract all sorts of attention just trying to get around, because most people do not speak any English. So once caught, say goodbye to the rest of your cruise. By the time you get out from under all the trouble you will be in, the cruise will be back in it's home port.

Are you that desperate to save the few hundred dollars for your own visas?

Cheers

Len

I have a friend who went to Russia with a visa. Their flight out of Moscow was on the last day of their visa permit.

1) their Delta flight was canceled and all other flights were fully booked

2) it was a Russian holiday and the US Embassy could not help them as there was no Russian available to authorize an extension.

3) they were required to take the train to Helsinki to be out of Russia prior to the expiration to avoid legal issues.

4) no way would she have stayed over the limit and was emphatically told by the US Embassy not to attempt it.

Proceed with your "idea" at your own risk. My friend was so intimidated that she says she would not go back if they gave her resident status!! :D

Almost wish I hadn't started reading this thread Now I'm scared that if we get separated from our tour group we will have a big problem. Please tell me this won't be as bad as trying to keep up with guide in the crowds of say Florence or Rome.

Almost wish I hadn't started reading this thread Now I'm scared that if we get separated from our tour group we will have a big problem. Please tell me this won't be as bad as trying to keep up with guide in the crowds of say Florence or Rome.

Don't worry. It can get very crowded in the sites but as long as you are touring with one of the highly recommended tour operators on these boards, you will be fine. You will be equipped with a headset (at least we were with Alla-Tours but I am sure the other tour companies utilize them as well) so you will be able to hear your guide at all times. This is extremely helpful especially when you are touring in the Hermitage and Subway where crowds can be plentiful. These tour guides are very experienced and I have yet heard of anyone getting lost or left behind on a tour. The private tour companies are well aware that one mishap would cost them dearly amongst our Cruise Critic members. So don't stress and enjoy your time in SPB. It is truly an amazing city! :)

Dolfans from Miami

Hey Tony,

As you can see, you hit a nerve. We all would love to walk of the ship, like in most ports. St. Pete is a unique port. You need a visa, blanket visa - ships tour or government approved tour operator or you get one on your own before you leave home.

Don't worry. If the guide loses you, he/she will be the one in big trouble. Since the groups are small, it is not easy to get lost, you are always close to the guide, and the guide personally knows you.

Hey Tony! I say GO FOR IT! Your "experience" will no doubt get you 15 minutes of fame on the Discovery Channel. Travel horror stories seem to be really popular these days!

A few sensible replies here, and also a lot of stupid ones, from the kind of people who really need to think about their answers more, think logically, and stop scaremongering.

I think my favourite reply is that the police would be waiting for us the 2nd day if we didnt turn up for our tour! There are literally 1000's of tour companies in st petersburg - do you really think EVERYONE turns up for every tour they booked - especially when tours are not paid in advance. Like the police are just sitting there waiting for a phone call from a tour rep to say 'oh so and so didnt turn up for my tour - please go to the ship and arrest them, because the fact that they didnt turn up MUST mean that they are in the country illegally!'.

lol.

The whole reason i asked the question in the first place, was because some friends of ours did a similar thing..they booked a half day tour on the first day - they emailed the day before hand to say they wouldnt be doing the tour - then just used the tour voucher to get off the ship, and had no problems at all for the two days. The hotel did ask to see passport, but didnt ask about visa or anything like that. Upon getting back on the ship, there was certainly no questions about 'where is the rest of your group' etc etc..I mean come no - get a grip people - there are 1000's of people getting back on the ship every day - do you really think they are standing there making sure that everyone who comes back on board again is part of a group?

In fact i even asked one (well respected) tour company in st petersburg if, after doing the day tour with them, we could just stay out in st petersburg and make our own way back to the ship...and they said that yes we could, but we would be responsible for our own way back!

Tour is paid for on day 2 IMU

so if the tour company zips you because you were a no show ..

IMHO its a risk and if you are willing to take it.. so be it

My experience with dealing with Russian Visa's is its a lottery how things work

Guy in front got bounced cos one number was wrong yet I sailed thru with 3 visas and issues on all

(we are in Moscow independently beforehand)

Best case scenario is it all works

Worst case Gulag

really who knows??

Oh dear, Tony.

You really haven't though this through.:rolleyes:

There are thousands of ways to make a financial gain by breaking the law, each with their own profit/loss ratio.

Clearly neither you nor your friends figured out this ratio.

Potential profit:

Visa costs of about $160

Potential loss:

You are not going to enjoy your visit, because you will be looking over your shoulder all the time.

If detained beyond sailing time (and I strongly suspect that you'd be deliberately detained until your ship had sailed), half the cost of your cruise would be wasted plus you'd have the cost of a flight back home from SPB. Add any financial penalty imposed by the Russian authorities, plus the associated time, grief & costs,

And you'd have a damaging entry on your passport, which can foul-up any travel plans for the rest of your life.

Many more Americans steal cars or rob banks in the USA than try to pull this sort of half-ass nickel&dime scam. That's because they are rather more savvy than you or your friends.

But thanks for the laugh :D

JB :)

A few sensible replies here, and also a lot of stupid ones, from the kind of people who really need to think about their answers more, think logically, and stop scaremongering.

I think my favourite reply is that the police would be waiting for us the 2nd day if we didnt turn up for our tour! There are literally 1000's of tour companies in st petersburg - do you really think EVERYONE turns up for every tour they booked - especially when tours are not paid in advance. Like the police are just sitting there waiting for a phone call from a tour rep to say 'oh so and so didnt turn up for my tour - please go to the ship and arrest them, because the fact that they didnt turn up MUST mean that they are in the country illegally!'.

lol.

The whole reason i asked the question in the first place, was because some friends of ours did a similar thing..they booked a half day tour on the first day - they emailed the day before hand to say they wouldnt be doing the tour - then just used the tour voucher to get off the ship, and had no problems at all for the two days. The hotel did ask to see passport, but didnt ask about visa or anything like that. Upon getting back on the ship, there was certainly no questions about 'where is the rest of your group' etc etc..I mean come no - get a grip people - there are 1000's of people getting back on the ship every day - do you really think they are standing there making sure that everyone who comes back on board again is part of a group?

In fact i even asked one (well respected) tour company in st petersburg if, after doing the day tour with them, we could just stay out in st petersburg and make our own way back to the ship...and they said that yes we could, but we would be responsible for our own way back!

You are probably right and it may well work. But considering you're spending thousands of dollars on a the trip I see no way that saving two hundred is worth any risk of running afoul of Russian authorities.

While we are far removed from the days of the KGB following every American around waiting for them to spit on the sidewalk in the USSR, Russia and the United States are still not exactly on the friendliest of terms. Right now we are in a situation where diplomatic tensions are especially high. In addition, as mentioned if you do not speak and read at least some Russian you likely will have a very difficult time navigating the streets. For me the language barrier, possibility of being a victim of crime (this came to me personally from a Russian native my son knows, who suggested that we stick with an organized tour), and trouble with Russian authorities are hardly worth the small savings. I am sure it would be an adventure, but just visiting Russia legally is adventure enough for this child of the cold war era.

Here is my logical response. It is foolish to engage in illegal activity in a foreign country. You put yourself, the tour operator, and anyone else who helps you scam the system at risk. If you want approval to commit a crime in Russia, I don't think you'll get it here.

I recommend asking some other tour operators if they agree with this advice.

Archived