Single occupancy suppliment

Aussie Claire

Does Celebrity give discount for Single occupancy in a cabin on their cruises?

Celebrity does very little to attract solo travelers but does--on fairly rare occasion--offer a reduced single supplement on selected sailings... Such deals tend to be offered on last minute bookings for sailings that haven't sold particularly well... And by the time they're offered, the savings can often be consumed by higher, last-minute airfares if one needs to fly to and/or from the ports of ship embarkation/disembarkation...

I don't know if Celebrity does similar promotions in Australia--you may want to inquire by calling their local office--but there are generally weekly specials [referred to as "Exciting Deals" or "Tuesday Specials"] that are offered in the US/Canadian markets which sometimes feature reduced single supplements for specific cabin categories on new bookings during a narrow time corridor... For illustrative purposes only, following is a link to those offerings for the upcoming week...

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Exciting_Deals/XcitingDeals_cel_tues.pdf

Celebrity does offer a terrific cruise experience but, to my mind, they are not particularly friendly to the growing solo traveler market in terms of their cruise pricing or other related practices [ie; on-board Captain's Club loyalty benefits for comparable spend/cruise history or "Two For One" (rather than half-price) specials on things like drinks or Specialty Dining]... While I don't want this response to trigger yet another debate on this forum relative to the disparity/lack of marketing creativity [it was even discussed when Celebrity's President responded to related questions here to no avail], I--as someone who generally travels alone and as a Shareowner in the parent company--continue to think that Celebrity is missing the proverbial boat...

In my cruise history with Celebrity, I've taken advantage of a reduced single supplement once; it was very nice... But I still have preference for planning my trips far in advance in accommodation of my choosing...

I always sail solo and the previous replies are correct....(Hi Mike:))

Sometimes you can find a lower SS...they have the Tuesday Happy

Hour prices and I have seen 150%-175% on ocassion....but those

specials? You have to be able cruise on those specific dates and times.

But usually, I would say 99% of the time? Solo cruisers pay double.

I no longer look at the SS because it is always there. I look at the

total price and if it is within my budget? That price is worth it for me

to have my own cabin:)

When I have traveled solo with Celebrity not only I have paid almost the double, but I was offered less options on cabins. I like Celebrity and I continue booking with them. However, I have started to search for solo discounts with other cruiselines. For example Crystal Cruises or Silversea or MSC cruises.

When I have traveled solo with Celebrity not only I have paid almost the double, but I was offered less options on cabins. I like Celebrity and I continue booking with them. However, I have started to search for solo discounts with other cruiselines. For example Crystal Cruises or Silversea or MSC cruises.

I have never been offered less options on cabins. Insides, windows,

and balconies are my normal choices and have always been available

(unless the cruise is sold out).

As for Crystal and Silversea? Celebrity is definitely not in that same

Cruiseline Category. Those are both very high end luxury lines. The SS

might be lower but the base price is way, way higher. In my opinion,

it is like comparing apples to oranges.

I have to agree with Lois, hi Lois. I've never paid less than 200% for my solo Celebrity cruises, and know its the price we pay for our ability to cruise.

As for Crystal, Silversea and other luxury lines, only Crystal has lower single supplements, BUT, when their fares start out costing two to three times the fare on Celebrity, you don't get any breaks. Seabourn doesn't give much of a discount, and if there is one, you're stuck with them assigning your cabin. This is the same for Silversea---I've never found a good single supplement on that line.

NCL has solo cabins on Epic, but there's no way I'd book one because they are beyond tiny and I just couldn't handle feeling like Spam in a can.

Hi Darcie:)..omg...I have seen some photos of those NCL single

cabins:eek:.....can you say "RUBBER ROOM"?...they might be 100 sq feet

and the bed looks like it is coming out of the wall:rolleyes:.....No thanks!

I have never been offered less options on cabins. Insides, windows, and balconies are my normal choices and have always been available (unless the cruise is sold out).

Good to hear from you; thanks for the shout out!

I've never had desire or reason to test the case but, in the past, I've been told--I want to say by a Captain's Club Hostess who also worked future cruise sales--that Celebrity sometimes prohibits singles from booking high-end suites [ie; Royal and Penthouse] unless or until they go unsold...

Don't know first-hand if it's true... But trust me when I tell you that I'll never have opportunity to know first-hand either!

As for Crystal and Silversea? Celebrity is definitely not in that same Cruiseline Category. Those are both very high end luxury lines. The SS might be lower but the base price is way, way higher. In my opinion, it is like comparing apples to oranges.

Azamara, Celebrity's higher-end sister, can offer some amazing pricing for solos if the stars align right...

• Though not offered on every cruise, Azamara does periodically list sailings--well in advance [i booked for next February/March in May]; I don't think there are any out on their website now--that feature a 25% Single Supplement...
  • When combined with other promotions--I booked during their "Book An Inside/Get A Veranda" offer [and got a better than expected cabin assignment]--their pricing can be extremely favorable...
  • I also got a very generous price reduction [Azamara doesn't seem to do much with On-Board Credit as they are "more inclusive"] on each cruise segment for having booked while aboard Solstice, a $400 price reduction on each cruise segment for having booked back-to-back sailings [not something Celebrity does], and half the Choice Air Credit that was being offered on a per-cabin basis as part of the promotion...

It just so happened that Journey will be in Asia next year at the same time that I'd already booked two Asia cruise segments on Millennium [in one case, the itinerary is virtually identical with departure from Singapore on the same day]... And it just so happened that the sailings I was interested in were eligible for the 25% Single Supplement in tandem with the promotion... By cancelling Millennium and rebooking with Azamara, I saved thousands of dollars for what will--I think--be a better experience on port-intensive itineraries [we'll see but Azamara may be too small for me on trips with lots of sea time]...

Will it always work? I doubt it... But you can be sure that, in the future, I'll never rule out Azamara as a possibility... They do some really different/interesting itineraries with a nice focus on destination immersion [longer port calls, more overnights] and their ships can port at places that larger ships can't go...

Good to hear from you; thanks for the shout out!

I've never had desire or reason to test the case but, in the past, I've been told--I want to say by a Captain's Club Hostess who also worked future cruise sales--that Celebrity sometimes prohibits singles from booking high-end suites [ie; Royal and Penthouse] unless or until they go unsold...

Don't know first-hand if it's true... But trust me when I tell you that I'll never have opportunity to know first-hand either!

Not true. I've booked Royal Suites as a solo quite a number of times, and I was able to book very early in the booking process.

Why don't you look into HAL? Usually their Inside & OV cabins offer a special price for singles.

Yikes! I can't imagine sailing HAL as a single. It was tough enough when I had a roommate. :D:eek: I'll go solo on Celebrity any day, and sometimes great prices are to be had - you just really need to be lucky to find them.

Beth,

Curious to know what's so bad about HAl? Have cruised it and enjoyed food

& service. Will be cruising X for the first time on a full transit Panama Canal?

What do you think will be much better? This is not a snarky message; I'm really curious as I had misgivings about X but decided I shouln't be negative about it without having sailed it first. Am eager to try it.

Since this is off topic would apprecaite your contacting me at : chezgirard at cgocable dot ca

Thanks.

Yes HAL is usually 200% for singles but if you watch for their specials, it can be just as affordable, if not cheaper, than booking X. But if you are planner, someone that books a year in advance, then yes, in my opinion, CL's that charge 200% for singles is very expensive. If I had to do it, I would only be able to afford an inside about every 2 years, on my budget.

My gripe with Celebrity when booking as a single is that the gty rates are never offered to singles. I don't care where my cabin is, the cheaper the better. I will do a gty when I can. but they aren't offered. EM

To give you some encouragement, I have booked gty's as a solo traveler.

For example, I'm going on an Oct. TA and booked an inside gty.

On Silhouette TA last Dec. I had an inside cabin. When a verandah gty was offered at a minimal increase, the travel agent was able to book it for me.

Not sure whether this is something unique to transatlantics, but I'd keep checking.

Good luck!:)

To give you some encouragement' date=' I have booked gty's as a solo traveler.

For example, I'm going on an Oct. TA and booked an inside gty.

On Silhouette TA last Dec. I had an inside cabin. When a verandah gty was offered at a minimal increase, the travel agent was able to book it for me.

Not sure whether this is something unique to transatlantics, but I'd keep checking.

Good luck!:)[/quote']

May be a TA thing. I just noticed a TA with Cunard that mentioned special rates for singles.

Archived