Smoking pot on a cruise?

toocrowded

I searched the forums here and didn't find anything, so asking here.

Anyone have experience (or opinions) on carrying marijuana on a cruise (and then smoking it on a cruise.) This article claims it can be done, though I guess the question is: What happens if you get caught?

I imagine it's a low risk of getting caught, and ship personel have better things to do, but wonder if anyone has any personal experience?

You will get kicked off and/or arrested. Unless you are cruising in Colorado, or (not sure if it's Washington or Oregon! No matter...they have no cruise ships!)...it's still illegal. If they kick you off, you are likely to be arrested in a foreign country...not an ideal situation. If you don't get arrested, then it will be on your dime to get back to your home country....pretty pricey!

So....either, be an idiot, or not...up to you!

Edited by cb at sea

Somebody was enjoying a toke on my recent cruise on the Legend (03/02/14) late at night at the far end of the smoking area on the pool deck. I had to shake myself awake to remember what THAT smell was - kind of reminded me of my misbegotten youth. ; ))

As to how you get it onboard, that's your challenge.

Edited by wassup4565

From my experiences during college living next door to the pot pushers for our dorm, no matter how many towels you use against your door, it can be smelled. And even if you're not caught during the cruise, all of the ports have drug-sniffing dogs who are excellent at catching the smell from the luggage you had in your cabin.

I am not proud to say that Iam somewhat(O.K.very) familiar with the smell of weed (hey it was the 70s I think) I have smelled it on almost every cruise I have been on and I have not seen anyone getting drug off the ship however I would not recommend doing it there are just to many points were you might get caught plane,boarding and port.It is one of those things is it really worth getting caught in another country or getting kicked off the ship even if it is not likley would be a big time hassle and costly .To be honest I think cruiselines would for the most part just like to ignore it if the people are not making a spectacle of it. We were in Disney World in 1988 at one of there fancy resorts the entire week the hallway outside of the same room reeked of weed (I mean strong) everyone at the hotel was laughing and joking about it , so I asked the maid(I was not complaining just curious) and she told that as long as they were not bothering anyone else they would ignore it (and they did).

I have seen people arrested in 2 ports for MJ. Bermuda and Costa Rico....In Bermuda they took them off the ship fined them $1000 us and let them fly back to the US a couple of days later. In Costa Rico it was an entertainer....and the CD had to go try and bail him out(the CD parents were on board and we spoke with them-they were still in jail as we left. In Bermuda they used a drug sniffing dog. Remember a boarder search needs no probable cause to search your cabin(its the same English common law rule{Bermuda and the US} in every state but Louisiana.)

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2011/06/articles/drugs/are-you-a-stoner-dont-cruise-to-bermuda/

Edited by smeyer418

Hmmm. Notice this is a first time poster so lets be gentle and deal with facts. When you board your cruise ship there is a possibility that CBP (Customs and Border Patrol) or the local police will have a drug sniffing dog moving around the terminal building. Once you clear security you are essentially trapped and at the mercy of security. So you finally get on the ship (with your pot) and now you feel safe. You go to smoke the weed and, being a ship, there is a strong possibility that somebody will smell the deed. If you get turned-in then you will be at the mercy of the cruise ship's security staff (usually headed up by an ex cop) who will very probably take some action. They could confine you to your cabin until the next port and turn you over to the authorities (and some places are not as nice as the USA). Or they might be very nice and tell you that you are off the ship at the next port, get no refund, and must get home on your own (a problem if you are doing a closed-loop cruise and do not have a Passport). Or perhaps they will just let you go, notify the FBI (who claims jurisdiction over Americans in International waters) and perhaps there will be a welcoming party waiting for you when you return to the US. All very nice options.

And by the way, the last time we flew into FLL (that would be Ft Lauderdale) a few months ago we notice in interesting thing. While we were waiting to claim our luggage along came a Broward County Deputy Sheriff (FLL is in Broward Country) with a very nice German Shepard. And that really sweet dog was sniffing at everyone's luggage and also at some of the folks (he came over and sniffed my shoes). Florida is not Colorado and not very kind to folks carrying drugs. In fact, they can be quite nasty to anyone carrying illegal drugs.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I searched the forums here and didn't find anything, so asking here.

Anyone have experience (or opinions) on carrying marijuana on a cruise (and then smoking it on a cruise.) This article claims it can be done, though I guess the question is: What happens if you get caught?

I imagine it's a low risk of getting caught, and ship personel have better things to do, but wonder if anyone has any personal experience?

Even with a card for medical marijuana the smoker will be put off the ship at next port and probably arrested.

Actually, I doubt the weed would get past the dogs at embarkation port.

I've smelled pot on at least one cruise. I'm pretty sure I've smelled it on all 3 cruises I've been on actually. The cabin next to us was smoking it on their balcony. I'm not a smoker but I wouldn't report them. What they do on their own time is up to them. To me I don't know why you'd risk it. My father is a smoker, he has chronic pain and even he wouldn't risk taking any on vacation with him. Its just not worth the possible consequences.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Mist_ynight

I am not proud to say that Iam somewhat(O.K.very) familiar with the smell of weed (hey it was the 70s I think) I have smelled it on almost every cruise I have been on and I have not seen anyone getting drug off the ship however I would not recommend doing it there are just to many points were you might get caught plane,boarding and port.It is one of those things is it really worth getting caught in another country or getting kicked off the ship even if it is not likley would be a big time hassle and costly .To be honest I think cruiselines would for the most part just like to ignore it if the people are not making a spectacle of it. We were in Disney World in 1988 at one of there fancy resorts the entire week the hallway outside of the same room reeked of weed (I mean strong) everyone at the hotel was laughing and joking about it , so I asked the maid(I was not complaining just curious) and she told that as long as they were not bothering anyone else they would ignore it (and they did).

My wife and I have noticed that familiar smell of weed many times while out on our balcony. Almost impossible to see where it was coming from. Not sure how people get it on but I do know people smoke on the cruise ship.

So aside from all the finger-wagging disapproval you're getting here, I think this. Never seen any sniffer dogs when boarding the cruise ship. Anyone who wants to report a direct experience they actually saw otherwise, please report it. Anyone who actually saw anyone thrown off the ship for dope, please report it. Otherwise, keep your dark imaginings to yourself. The OP asked a straight-up question.

Once on the ship, be discreet. Don't blow dope when you're surrounded at the pool by chaises longues. Don't blow dope inside. Don't blow dope on your balcony before Ma and Pa Kettle go to early din-dins.

So aside from all the finger-wagging disapproval you're getting here, I think this. Never seen any sniffer dogs when boarding the cruise ship. Anyone who wants to report a direct experience they actually saw otherwise, please report it. Anyone who actually saw anyone thrown off the ship for dope, please report it. Otherwise, keep your dark imaginings to yourself. The OP asked a straight-up question.

Once on the ship, be discreet. Don't blow dope when you're surrounded at the pool by chaises longues. Don't blow dope inside. Don't blow dope on your balcony before Ma and Pa Kettle go to early din-dins.

As i said before I saw it in Bermuda and Costa Rico....

The dog was a Bermuda customs dog brought on the ship to go through it. I have seen the dog brought through the ship twice there...

They brought a dog onto the ship to inspect a ship that was in transit? Just to clarify, you're saying the ship was docked for a day stop, and the Bermudans and the Costa Ricans brought a dog on board for an inspection while the ship was docked for the day? That seems extraordinary to me. I'd like to know more about when this was, the name of the ships, and so on.

When you say the dog was brought through the ship twice, what do you mean through? The dog was walked all over the ship, into people's cabins when they were off the ship, and so on? How did you manage to see where the dog went? Did they let you follow along behind it? Did you have the opportunity to ask what they were looking for?

Because sniffer dogs are trained very precisely - they can't smell out the whole repertoire. You train the dog to find one scent, and reward it every time it finds that scent. If you ask it to sniff out marijuana for a reward, it won't look for cocaine, etc. Marijuana = cookie. Any other smell = not interested.

We really need to know more.

They brought a dog onto the ship to inspect a ship that was in transit? Just to clarify, you're saying the ship was docked for a day stop, and the Bermudans and the Costa Ricans brought a dog on board for an inspection while the ship was docked for the day? That seems extraordinary to me. I'd like to know more about when this was, the name of the ships, and so on.

When you say the dog was brought through the ship twice, what do you mean through? The dog was walked all over the ship, into people's cabins when they were off the ship, and so on? How did you manage to see where the dog went? Did they let you follow along behind it? Did you have the opportunity to ask what they were looking for?

Because sniffer dogs are trained very precisely - they can't smell out the whole repertoire. You train the dog to find one scent, and reward it every time it finds that scent. If you ask it to sniff out marijuana for a reward, it won't look for cocaine, etc. Marijuana = cookie. Any other smell = not interested.

We really need to know more.

The NCL ship was the Majesty. The Celebrity ship was the Zenith. The dog was walking the halls in Bermuda. No I didn't walk behind the dog but saw the customs officials handling it. Customs may board any ship in their country and if they want ransack the rooms. They don't need any cause. They can do it because they want to. The same in the US if they want. The ship was in the harbor docked. It wasn't moving through the water in transit. Why on earth would I ask them anything. Good way to get my room ransacked and not the way I would want to spend my day. In Costa Rica the dog was on the dock and they stopped the crew member as he was getting back on board...BTW I believe the rule is the same in Canada(also an english common law country.

here is the american rule http://cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/admissibility/authority_to_search.xml

and the Canadian http://fipa.bc.ca/help/Civil-Liberties/searches_by_canadian_border_services-officers.php

Reefer Madness - $1,000 or 100 Days in Jail - Bermuda Continues to Shake Down Cruise Passengers with Pot

Posted on May 13, 2013 by Jim Walker

Bermuda Customs Cruise Ship DrugsA newspaper in Bermuda reports today on two U.S. cruise ship passengers who were fined $1,000 after a small amount of pot was found in their cabins on a cruise ship in port.

In separate cases, two cruise passengers, each aged 53, were arrested after authorities in Bermuda boarded the Norwegian Dawn yesterday and conducted warrant-less searches of cabins on the cruise ship.

One man had 13 grams of cannabis in his cabin and the other had five grams.

The Magistrate fined each man $1,000 or 100 days in jail.

Arresting U.S. cruise passengers with small amounts of pot left in the cruise ship cabins is big business in Bermuda. NCL will sell you an all-you-can-drink alcohol package for $49 a day and you can get smashed on the cruise ship and then go to a bar ashore in Bermuda and get hammered and stagger back to the ship. No one cares.

But Bermuda loves to send sniffer dogs onto visiting cruise ships to search empty cabins for a joint or two without a warrant or probable cause. Why? Its easy money.

U.S. passengers with a few joints will Cruise Ship Reefer Madnessalways chose to fork over $1,000 to $3,000 rather than spend a few months in jail in the middle of the Atlantic waiting to fight the charges.

This is a ridiculous topic we have talked about often:

Surprise. Surprise. Surprise. More Bermuda Cruise Ship Reefer Madness

Bermuda's Kangaroo Courts Back in Action

BTW you can too do a google search instead of trying to find holes in my report.

Edited by smeyer418

On the 26 ships I have managed for 11 different cruise lines, the standard procedure is just about the same.

When we get drug complaints from passengers or reports from cabin stewards, (and we receive them every week) we send Security to the cabin in question.

If the occupants hand over the substance to security, the officer takes it to the incinerator room and disposes of it. Case closed.

If there is any difficulty of any kind, we contact the authorities in the next port and request that they come onboard to investigate.

Most of the countries we visit have very serious penalties for importing drugs into their countries. About once a month we "lose" a passenger or two who go off in handcuffs, never to be seen again. Case closed.

I love the idea of, let's call it, a Denver cruise. Someplace where it is legal. With cafes and the cruise line providing, and charging for, the - ah - entertainment. Could be a nice, new source of income.

Chuckle. Until it is legal, I don't go there. Period.

I did witness a dog working the passenger line at disembarkation in Baltimore. I have seen these dogs at work and they are pretty amazing animals. Wassup4565, you may believe it or not but I have read many stories on CC about passengers being taken off the ship because of contraband and ending up in a local hoosegow.

I was taught in the Navy years ago when in another country it is important to remember that one is a visitor to that country and to respect and observe that country's laws, which may be different than our laws in the US. We were also taught that many of the drug dealers on the islands will gladly sell you all the drugs you want and then turn your butt into the police. They collect a reward and they get their drugs back.

the dogs and handlers are outside the port area in the luggage area. The dogs are also in the luggage holding area of port. The best scenerio here is NOT to pack in it in the luggage because it will be screened.

Jamaica was the worst port with seeing people being arrested etc. People were stupid and buying it in Jamaica. (undercover police)