HAL fan, may stray

SetAnOpenCourse

Considering Princess for next cruise. $199 for 5 days, Caribbean, with $100 obc. Vs $249 for 7 days on HAL. I'm different than most in that itinetraries are a minor consideration - prefer the At-Sea days. These 2 both have 2 At-Sea days. I like a peaceful atmosphere - don't like PA announcements in the cabin or music on deck if it's not live.. like to watch the sea, maybe do a little reading on a lounge chair (will most likely book an interior cabin this time). Not picky about food since I know there's a lot to choose from on any cruise ship. All my 4 cruises to date were on HAL and the overall experience has been just what I was looking for. Would only stray from HAL this time for the good deal and out of curiosity, but the differences/comparisons mentioned in various CC threads concern me just a bit. Thoughts?

Edited by SetAnOpenCourse

Hope you decide to have a great cruise on Princess!

I have sailed both HAL and Princess, so will tell you that Princess generally will be a bit more lively, but not crazy!

Your cabin will be ready as soon as you board on Princess. On most Princess ships, there is a 24/7 International Cafe with coffee drinks and deli and bakery quality snacks and light meals. Unlike HAL, you will have to vacate your cabin by 8AM on disembarkation morning, but you can wait in your assigned lounge area until time to leave the ship. You might check the Princess boards for more tips and info.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Ryndam2002

It's always good to try other options just to know what you really like. Go with an open mind and have fun. Shorter cruises tend to be a little more rushed, but you can get the feel of it. I think Princess has a few more activities, but nothing crazy. There are lots of places to sit and read even if the ship you choose has one of the smaller libraries. I cruise for similar reasons as you. I like to read, relax and look at the ocean. The price you found offers you a great opportunity to give Princess a try.

I am all for trying new things, would like to sail Princess myself, but am I missing something?

Princess, $199, 5 days, or $40/day.

Holland America, $249, 7 days, or $36/day.

Take the longer cruise, two extra days with no extra packing and travel bother.

I am all for trying new things, would like to sail Princess myself, but am I missing something?

Princess, $199, 5 days, or $40/day.

Holland America, $249, 7 days, or $36/day.

Take the longer cruise, two extra days with no extra packing and travel bother.

The OP mentioned $100 OBC on Princess, which, if used for things they would spend on anyway such as gratuities, would bring the "net" down to $99 for 5 days or $20/day.

$99 (plus daily gratuities) is the best time to stray if you're ok with a short cruise. Just know short cruises tend to be much louder, more chaotic and more different than standard cruises. ;)

You may also see differences in the menu. We did a 5-day on the Caribbean Princess in May and the menus were not good. Of course this is just my opinion but something's got to give when prices go this low. We ate in specialty restaurants 3 times just to find food that we enjoyed.

You may also see differences in the menu. We did a 5-day on the Caribbean Princess in May and the menus were not good. Of course this is just my opinion but something's got to give when prices go this low. We ate in specialty restaurants 3 times just to find food that we enjoyed.

Would you mind elaborating on what was not good? I sail on both lines and they are pretty equal. The worst food award goes to celebrity. The food was either really good or really bad. I remember having beef one day at lunch. You couldn't even chew it.

It's a good price, so why not give it a try?

There are a few reasons for choosing cautiously. I have limited days-off from work, and I want to make sure I return refreshed to the stresses of work/commuting. In that regard, the shorter 5-day cruise will, for me, "put a premium" on a quieter atmosphere - meanwhile, I'm advised here to expect the opposite ("much louder, more chaotic" - thanks, sppunk).

Might, however, the sale/special indicate that the cruise is, and may remain undersold, therefore reducing the more chaotic atmosphere one would normally expect?

Also, is it true that Princess tends to overdo the PA announcements (outside the cabins)? I'm asking here in the HAL forum since many here have experienced both lines, and comments may be more objective/impartial than in the Princess forum.

BTW, can someone confirm that the in-cabin PA system can be turned off in the cabins (all HAL, or at least regarding Westerdam and Eurodam)?

By all means take the Princess trip. We are elite on Princess and three star on HAL. Princess is a very good mass market line, I like it better than HAL which is also mass market. If you want premium Oceania blows both out of the water.

Princess is trending up and HAL is on more of a decline, our opinion. Change is good, I would be bored to death if our only cruises were on holland America. The same old, same old.

Princess has about the same number of announcements as HAL. Onboard life is a bit livelier on Princess. The atrium is always very busy. I've never done a five day trip on either line as we don't live near a port. Five days on board is really a four day trip, keep that in mind. I would expect a busier atmosphere. I think they will fill the ship, don't expect it to be half empty.

Edited by sammiedawg

$99 (plus daily gratuities) is the best time to stray if you're ok with a short cruise. Just know short cruises tend to be much louder, more chaotic and more different than standard cruises. ;)

I don't believe you will find this to be true on Princess. Unlike some other cruise lines where shorter cruises are "booze" cruises with a "party" crowd, you will find the same population demographic on Princess short cruises as on the longer cruises.

Many long term Princess cruisers will book the short cruises as a back-to-back cruise and thus you will find that there will be a good percentage of people on board for 7-21 days depending on how many back-to-backs they book.

The one difference on Princess is that one of the pools has the MUTS screen and concerts, sports events and movies will be shown during the day in that pool area.

If you don't want the MUTS screen, just use the other pool area.

. Just know short cruises tend to be much louder, more chaotic and more different than standard cruises. ;)

Have you actually been on a Princess 5 day cruise in the November/December time frame? This is the slowest time of the year....as indicated by the fill-up-the-ship pricing that the OP is considering.

We have done the 5 day and it bears no resemblance to the over-generalized description of "much louder, more chaotic"...etc.

To the OP....Princess has a fairly new muster drill, everyone stays inside the ship, they scan your sign 'n sail card to verify attendance, you carry (not wear) your life jacket to it.

In-cabin announcements do not happen except for emergency notices. But no, there is no way for a guest to turn off in-cabin announcements tho turning your in-room TV down all the way may have an effect.

I don't believe you will find this to be true on Princess. Unlike some other cruise lines where shorter cruises are "booze" cruises with a "party" crowd, you will find the same population demographic on Princess short cruises as on the longer cruises.

Many long term Princess cruisers will book the short cruises as a back-to-back cruise and thus you will find that there will be a good percentage of people on board for 7-21 days depending on how many back-to-backs they book.

The one difference on Princess is that one of the pools has the MUTS screen and concerts, sports events and movies will be shown during the day in that pool area.

If you don't want the MUTS screen, just use the other pool area.

I think such screens and accompanying speakers equate to noise and light pollution, especially with current mainstream entertainment. Can it be heard while sitting in a lounge chair on the promenade deck (Caribbean Princess)?

Picture someone walking into the breakroom at work, and if ESPN or a popular talk show is on with no one watching, changing the channel to Turner Classic Movies, even if he's leaving immediately after filling his coffee cup. That's me. As the saying goes, I hear a different drummer, and that's why I like being at sea on HAL.

Thanks for the insight! Glad that it wouldn't be a booze/party crowd.

Hope you decide to have a great cruise on Princess!

I have sailed both HAL and Princess, so will tell you that Princess generally will be a bit more lively, but not crazy!

Your cabin will be ready as soon as you board on Princess. On most Princess ships, there is a 24/7 International Cafe with coffee drinks and deli and bakery quality snacks and light meals. Unlike HAL, you will have to vacate your cabin by 8AM on disembarkation morning, but you can wait in your assigned lounge area until time to leave the ship. You might check the Princess boards for more tips and info.

Hope this helps.

HAL does not throw you out of your cabin on disembarkation day any more - or at least they did not on our last cruise in April. The steward may come in and change the linens, etc but that is only fair.

Every HAL ship I have been on allows you to turn off the PA system - it is often a control between the light controls over the beds.

If you want real peace and quiet you can stay on board when you dock into a port. The crew has more time to chat, there is usually few people on board so you can have you pick of deck chairs or lounge chairs, spa treatments are often discounted, etc. Have had officers provide free drinks as they assumed something may have been wrong - nope just wanted to relax!

Whatever you dceide - have a wonderful time!

Edited by take us away

I think such screens and accompanying speakers equate to noise and light pollution, especially with current mainstream entertainment. Can it be heard while sitting in a lounge chair on the promenade deck (Caribbean Princess)?

No, not even close.

Edited by thinfool

One of my favorite things about HAL are the wrap-around promenade decks, with full-length deck chairs/loungers. Not all Princess ships have loungers on the promenade decks, some just have smaller upright chairs or benches. If this is important to you, be sure to check this out before booking for the ship you are considering.