Star to Mexico - Any Mexican food?

knippsel

Do any of you who have cruised on the Star to Mexico recently recall any Mexican food being offered on board? (Other than the occasional guacamole and chips...) We're hoping the new destination-themed menus have made it out west.

I was on the Grand to Mexico in November.

One night they served a barely passable frittata dinner. It was OK at best.

My experiences on Princess Ships is not to expect good Mexican food.

If you want good Mexican food try restaurants in the ports. Much better there.

Yep. We have a Mexican Restaurant just about on every corner in S. California. All pretty darn good. As Nina said eat before you get on the ship.

Totally agree. We always fill up on Mexican food before we go and then again when we get back. As there is no Mexican food to be found on Mexican Riviera cruises unless you eat in port.

Sent from my D2-927G using Forums mobile app

I guess some people might be concerned how the food was cooked and would not want to take the chance of getting sick. After all it is Mexico. And it could be that since they already paid for the cruise with food why spend the extra money so the reason for the original question.

I guess some people might be concerned how the food was cooked and would not want to take the chance of getting sick. After all it is Mexico. And it could be that since they already paid for the cruise with food why spend the extra money so the reason for the original question.

That's kind of narrow-minded don't you think? There may be a problem with the water, but I've never heard of anyone getting sick from the food...:rolleyes:

That's kind of narrow-minded don't you think? There may be a problem with the water, but I've never heard of anyone getting sick from the food...:rolleyes:

People are often scared to eat food in foreign country. Too bad, because they miss out on some delicious stuff. In Mexico, as long as the food has been cooked, it should be safe. I have had some really good seafood dishes in Mexican ports.

Princess does a lousy job with Mexican food.

Princess serves some Mexican food but I don't think a Mexican would recognize it. Here in SoCal, there are any number of authentic Mexican restaurants.

I sometimes have lunch off the ship when in Mexico but I am careful and don't drink the water or order anything with ice. I've had delicious shrimp quesadillas in Cabo with a bottle of beer. Never gotten sick there.

yes the star did serve at least one mexican dinner in the buffet during the 2 week cruise….. we were pleasantly surprised by the very good quality. compared to other princess ships it was the best.

have a safe and enjoyable journey.

We have a ton here too. But I would never say,

"all are pretty darn good". :eek:

LOL Probably because you tastes are much higher then mine can be. After all on occasion I still like eating at Taco Bell. :)

Two reasons, actually.

Usually we do not eat off the ship because we're not often hungry at lunchtime - and we're too busy sightseeing.

Walt is right about the second reason. We have much experience of Mexico 20 - 25 years ago, both beach and interior cities. And we love real Mexican food. Moles, hand-patted tortillas - yum! We always took precautions, though - did not drink anything but bottled water. No iced beverages. No eating from street stands, only hotels or more upscale restaurants. A bit of Pepto Bismol every morning. Only had a problem once, but wouldn't like a repeat! We expect that methods of water purification and of hygiene as well as much else has changed in Mexico in the past 1/4 century. We're looking forward to seeing the differences. But when it comes to food and beverages, Pam, we'll follow your example and stick to beer!

We did enjoy all the Japanese offerings on the Diamond earlier this year, and were just hoping that the new emphasis on cuisine of the destination had been instituted on the North American routes as well, since real Mexican food, or even "Mexican influenced" food. could be so good.

Thank you all for your input, though.

I guess some people might be concerned how the food was cooked and would not want to take the chance of getting sick. After all it is Mexico.

I was on the Grand to Mexico in November.

One night they served a barely passable frittata dinner. It was OK at best.

My experiences on Princess Ships is not to expect good Mexican food.

If you want good Mexican food try restaurants in the ports. Much better there.

This goes for all the ships of all the lines I have ever been on...their Mexican food options and buffets are not even on a par with Taco Bell... Be careful on shore as restaurant standards in Mexico are nowhere close to US. Very easy to get the "Aztec two step" Do your sampling in San Diego...I suggest Miguel's in Point Loma region ...best in the area.

From my experience, I would not eat or drink off the ship unless in the US .

There is a big -big difference in the Mexican food we get in the US and what you get in mexico...

Most people are accustomed to Americanized Mexican and its a shock to experience the "real thing"...and not in a good way.

Do any of you who have cruised on the Star to Mexico recently recall any Mexican food being offered on board? (Other than the occasional guacamole and chips...) We're hoping the new destination-themed menus have made it out west.

Cruised Star to Mexico November 14 - 24. There was no discernible Mexican food served onboard. Like many others here, I'm from California and grew up eating Mexican food and continue to eat it fairly regularly. If you want Mexican food get it in Mexico. Don't expect Princess to serve it. If they do serve it don't expect it to be "real" Mexican food. If you like spicy Mexican food you will really be out of luck. Princess doesn't know the meaning of spicy.

DW and I go to Mexico every year ... Mazatlan, Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, Cancun ... we always eat out, but always drink water or beer or wine. Never had a problem. Would not eat from a food stand, but others great. Most of restaurants around the marina in Cabo are terrific. The salsa ... a small taste of heaven. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

DW and I go to Mexico every year ... Mazatlan, Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, Cancun ... we always eat out, but always drink water or beer or wine. Never had a problem. Would not eat from a food stand, but others great. Most of restaurants around the marina in Cabo are terrific. The salsa ... a small taste of heaven. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

During the summer months I have access to more fresh tomatoes, chilies, tomatillos, cilantro, etc. than I know what to do with. I make huge bowls full of fresh salsa. I have been known to live on chips and salsa for a couple of days at a time. Sometimes I make it HOT, HOT, HOT but I usually make it just HOT so my wife enjoys it as well. :) I feel sorry for people who don't have fresh salsa. They just don't know what they are missing.

Edited by Thrak

I've eaten in Mexico plenty of times, even from street carts, which is where the real food is if you ask me! Never had a problem. I would venture out further than restaurants around the port. Go ask a local. Eat where there are no white people and that should be a good indication of real authentic Mexican food. Even in Cozumel, in downtown, go in a few streets from the main drag. We saw a tiny restaurant that was packed with all locals and the food smelled SO good.

Help me out here, when did a frittata fall into the classification of Mexican food?

Now wouldn't all food made and eaten in Mexico/ Baja be Mexican food? Now that I made you laugh and say ayyyyyyy, consider eating at The Office in Cabo. Amazing food, great breakfast menu, including a lobster omelet that is not on the menu. It is right on Medano Beach. In Vallarta, there are too many to mention, including great food carts. But for general tastes try the River Cafe in the Rio Cuale. Don' t forget to try a paleta, or ice cream while in Vallarta.

Edited by JC13

Two reasons, actually.

Usually we do not eat off the ship because we're not often hungry at lunchtime - and we're too busy sightseeing.

Walt is right about the second reason. We have much experience of Mexico 20 - 25 years ago, both beach and interior cities. And we love real Mexican food. Moles, hand-patted tortillas - yum! We always took precautions, though - did not drink anything but bottled water. No iced beverages. No eating from street stands, only hotels or more upscale restaurants. A bit of Pepto Bismol every morning. Only had a problem once, but wouldn't like a repeat! We expect that methods of water purification and of hygiene as well as much else has changed in Mexico in the past 1/4 century. We're looking forward to seeing the differences. But when it comes to food and beverages, Pam, we'll follow your example and stick to beer!

We did enjoy all the Japanese offerings on the Diamond earlier this year, and were just hoping that the new emphasis on cuisine of the destination had been instituted on the North American routes as well, since real Mexican food, or even "Mexican influenced" food. could be so good.

Thank you all for your input, though.

I always chuckle when I read these postings. Those of us that regularly spend weeks/months in Puerto Vallarta would beg to differ with your outdated opinions/impressions. The major tourist destinations can't afford to let their patrons get sick. I haven't seen a restaurant/bar that doesn't use ice bought/brought directly from the water purification plant (vs. in-house ice machine) in over a decade.

As with most countries, all food is local in Mexico. There is no such thing as "authentic Mexican food". The tortilla, beans & rice are common to all regional cooking but the main entre is what is caught locally. Shrimp & lobster are caught off Mazatlan, red snapper and dorado (mahi mahi) are caught in Vallarta's waters.

The burrito, chimichanga & fajita are southwestern US TexMex foods and only exist in a true Mexican tourist restaurants to please the northern tourists. We also avoided food carts and hole-in-the-wall restaurants frequented by locals for 15 years. This year we booked a "food tour" that was centered on "taco stands" and have been enjoying them ever since.

A recent thread on the subject can be found at: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2137781

Get off the ship and ENJOY!

Edited by MSN-Travelers