Canadian Passport Needed For Caribbean Excursions?

getaway_goddess

Are we able to leave our passports in the room safe for the duration of the trip? I've read that some Americans use their driver's licenses as identification when they go for excursions -- does the same apply for a Canadian drivers license or other ID? I'm nervous about the idea of going to a beach and having to bring my passport and maybe leave it on the beach...

Are we able to leave our passports in the room safe for the duration of the trip? I've read that some Americans use their driver's licenses as identification when they go for excursions -- does the same apply for a Canadian drivers license or other ID? I'm nervous about the idea of going to a beach and having to bring my passport and maybe leave it on the beach...

I think the posts you've been reading are from people using their DL as photo ID to get back in the port area. You'll be absolutely fine using a Canadian DL for that. I've never needed any ID for any excursions in the Caribbean.

That's such a relief! Thanks so much :) Does that mean that we don't really have to go through "customs" like at the airport every time that you leave and board the ship?

They will swipe your sea pass card as you leave the ship and swipe it when you get back on. You will have to put anything you are carrying thru an x ray machine when you reboard, much like in an airport, but you don't have to take off your shoes and the process it very quick.

Edited by iheartbda

None of the Caribbean countries require passports from cruise passengers. You should always, ALWAYS have some sort of ID on you!!!! Your DL is the same size as your ship's key...very easy to carry.

Edited by cb at sea

That's such a relief! Thanks so much :) Does that mean that we don't really have to go through "customs" like at the airport every time that you leave and board the ship?

No customs or immigration to go through at port stops. Getting off you just hand your ship card to be scanned so ship knows who's off ship. Then you just walk off and go.

To get back on ship you might have to show photo I.d. to port security but most times just need ship card to enter area. Then to board ship you hand your ship card to be scanned so they know you're back aboard, put any packages or backpack through X-ray and walk through the metal detector. Quick and easy.

Edited by NMLady

To get back on ship you might have to show photo I.d. to port security but most times just need ship card to enter area. Then to board ship you hand your ship card to be scanned so they know you're back aboard, put any packages or backpack through X-ray and walk through the metal detector. Quick and easy.

Correct. Port areas are often fenced in to restrict access to people who have no business there. When returning to the fenced area, you show your ship card/room key card and sometimes a picture id. On all the cruise lines I have used, the ship card had no photo. The photo was taken when you signed in at embarkation the first time. It is now in the ship's system and visible to ship security the moment you swipe your card directly at the entrance of the ship (not the fenced port area!). You will also be required to put your handbag through an x-ray machine.

You also swipe your card when leaving the ship. That way, the ship knows who is on and off the ship.

Ships used to collect ALL foreign passports and hold them until day before home port when they were given back. You couldn't take them off the ship as you didn't have them.

Keep your passport in your safe! Thieves love to steal passports as they can sell them for BIG bucks. We have been cruising since 1985 and have never taken our passports off the ship.

To be safe, I normally keep a photocopy of my passport on me when I go into port. I've never needed it but in the event of missing the ship or other major issue I figure it wouldn't hurt to have it.

But, like others have said. Sea Pass is all you absolutely need but good to carry a 2nd piece of photo ID just in case.

no need to take your passport we only take a photo copy of ours and our seapass. never been asked before for our passport.

Just leave it in your room and go and enjoy yourself.

Take a photocopy for I.D. purposes

On most of our cruises the cruise line held our passports unless they were needed ashore

Be sure to take the port agent's information with you ashore in case there is some unforseen reason you may miss the ship

Usually found in the daily ship's newsletter

Enjoy

It all works well 99% of the time. Then there was the 1% where my daughter and I (Canadian Citizens) were pulled out of the line to re-board the ship in San Juan Puerto Rico. We were asked our nationality and when we replied Canadian, we were demanded to show our passports before we could re-board the ship. We could, because we had them with us. I don't know what would have happened if they were locked in our safe on board the ship.

Look inside the cover of your passport. There is a message there that asks the governments of countries you visit in the name of Canada, on behalf of her Majesty the Queen, to give you free passage and to provide you with assistance and protection while in their country. Why would you not take this document ashore with you? If you're hit by a car and end up in a hospital, or through some misunderstanding end up in a police station, why would you not have the document that offers you protection from your country with you?

Keep it where you keep your cash, your credit card and your phone when you are on shore. You wouldn't want to lose those things either, would you?

Most of the responses you have received have been from Americans, and quite frankly, I find Americans rather weird on the subject of passports. They pay for them and lock them in their safes on board the ship, where they are not, when they're ashore. I don't get this.

Your passport is the request from your government for you to be treated well in the host country (the one you are visiting). It is also the most important document you can have with you if something goes wrong when you are ashore. This is the document that the Department of Foreign Affairs in Canada has given you, and it's easier for them to help you if you can produce it right away. Why would you leave it locked in your safe?

Do whatever you decide to do. When I go ashore in a foreign country, I don't just want a ship pass or a drivers license with me. I want the document that gets my government on my side and working for me with no delay.

I take my passport ashore in the Caribbean. I have been asked to produce it, although the last time was several years ago.

You will get arguments either way. There is no right answer. For me, I feel much more comfortable knowing if I need to produce photo id for any reason, my passport is the one sure item that is recognized anywhere. (Most people outside Canada don't even know what Ontario is.) And in the unlikely event that I miss the ship, getting to the next port will be a little easier.

A photocopy of the photo page is good to keep in the cabin safe in case you loose the original - because it has the information needed to report the loss. It is absolutely useless as id ashore in a foreign country.

I take my passport ashore in the Caribbean. I have been asked to produce it, although the last time was several years ago.

You will get arguments either way. There is no right answer. For me, I feel much more comfortable knowing if I need to produce photo id for any reason, my passport is the one sure item that is recognized anywhere. (Most people outside Canada don't even know what Ontario is.) And in the unlikely event that I miss the ship, getting to the next port will be a little easier.

A photocopy of the photo page is good to keep in the cabin safe in case you loose the original - because it has the information needed to report the loss. It is absolutely useless as id ashore in a foreign country.

While I agree there's no absolute right answer to this question, I disagree with your statement that a copy of the main passport page is useless as ID ashore in a foreign country. We have had it accepted as ID while ashore, so we know from first hand experience it can serve that purpose...and if you happen to be on a cruise where all passports are held by the purser's office (which we have on several occasions), the copy is what you will be taking ashore.

Edited by njhorseman