What interests you most about a Maritime Canada/New England cruise?

What interests you most about a cruise to Canada/New England  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What interests you most about a cruise to Canada/New England

• Watersports (fast boats, kayaking, beaches)
    • Historic landmarks and museums
    • City life
    • Hiking, biking, ziplining
    • Food and wine
    • Fall foliage
    • Arts and culture (music, galleries, museums)
    • Other (Please tell us in comments below)

Hi. We're interested in what intrigues you about a Canada/New England cruise region?

Have you already been? We'd love to know what your favorites aspects were. Have a cruise planned? What made you book it? And considering one someday? Tell us what's holding you back.

And of course: Please vote in our poll! You've got multiple choices if there's more than one key attribute.

Thanks.

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Edited by editor@cruisecritic

I just wanted to experience the East Coast, see the beautiful scenery and enjoy the history. Of course exploring the Old Quebec City was high on the list, as was seeing the wonder that is NYC. The stunning scenery of PEI and Nova Scotia. It is truly spectacular and I would go again in a heart beat, even after having done it twice already.

We can only cruise in the summer, as my DW works for the school system. We hate the hot weather of summer and we love to cruise to Canada as the weather is always cooler. We have done it twice but we are always too early for the foliage, but we also love the feel of New England ports, Bar Harbor, Newport etc. some of our favorite places.

We also love the fact being from NY, we do not have to fly anywhere to get these cruises. If it doesn't leave from NY, we drive to where it does leave from (last time Boston).

Cheers

Len

My husband does not like to fly, so our cruises have to start/stop in places that he can take a train to and I can fly to. Neither of us are Caribbean/Bahama fans, so we usually trade off NE/Canada and Pacific Coastal/Alaska.

We have been on two previous NE/Canada cruises. Our third cruise coming up this year goes to Gaspe and Saguenay which are ports we have never been to. We usually rent a car a each port and see some beautiful areas.

Lighthouses, cities, countryside and history. We are leaving on our third Canada/New England cruise in August. We have gone twice in late September/early October and missed the best leaves both times. This time we're looking forward to warmer weather, Montreal, walks on beaches, rides in the countryside and the Fortress of Louisbourg near Sydney.

We have been on two previous NE/Canada cruises. Our third cruise coming up this year goes to Gaspe and Saguenay which are ports we have never been to. We usually rent a car a each port and see some beautiful areas.

We stopped in Saguenay last fall on a Quebec City to Fort Lauderdale cruise. The fjord is lovely and the welcome from the entire town (and I don't think that is an exaggeration!) is absolutely incredible - locals dressed in costume, a little show, free food and just incredibly nice people. Don't miss the maple syrup they swirl on a stick coated with ice chips. Anything with blueberries is good too. While we took a tour I think renting a car would be great -- you'll be able to see everything at your own pace.

I voted for historic landmarks and museums and food and wine (especially the food; we love lobster and ate it at almost every New England port).

Edited by capriccio

While on the Summit last month to Bermuda, friends and I (and DH) booked the 2 October 2016 cruise. It's our first to Canada/New England. I voted for fall colors, but really, there are more reasons: New ports to visit, museums, food, outdoor activity, etc.

I have a cruise coming up this fall but afterwards, I'll dig in and research all the ports (all new except Boston).

Monica

• Administrators

I went on my first Canada/New England cruise for the Fall colors; I"m going on my second because we were so PLEASANTLY SURPRISED with how much we enjoyed all the ports! There is just so much to do in each port of call, with a wide variety of opportunities for everyone! Loved Newport's mansions, the quaint streets and shopping of St. John, and BOSTON! What to say about Boston LOL. Even more so was the visit to Acadia National Park out of Bar Harbor. Maine's rugged coast line was so stunning!

We were going to do a road trip up to Maine and then Montreal & Quebec, but from Florida it was just too far and too much hassle getting hotels or B&B's every night, not knowing where we were stopping, etc. We love to cruise (30 so far), so when the Serenade of the Seas came out with a 12-night fall foliage cruise on 9/24, we jumped on it. We are flying from Tampa to Montreal, spending 2 nights in hotel, and then taking train to Quebec City for boarding. I am a compulsive planner but decided to put a lid on it and just get off in the 3 Canada ports and 3 Maine ports and just walk around, taking it all in and eating LOTS of lobster!!

We booked our cruise because credit from our cruise company which we had to spend within 12 months. We didn't fancy or had done most other destinations plus we have family in Vancouver so once we leave the ship we fly west to Vancouver.

Have been to New England in the spring so it will be lovely to see the autumn colours.

Off to check out the poll now, if I can find it!

Well, I voted for history and museums. I live in a fall foliage area, so no need to take a cruise to admire it. Actually, my first Canada/New England cruise was an "accident". I had booked a cruise leaving from NYC. My transport "options" from Montreal to get to NYC were: driving for hours than paying outrageous parking fees in NYC, taking the Greyhound not knowing how long I met get stuck at the border, paying > 250$ for a one hour plane ticket then getting to YUL-at-least-2-hours-in-advance -after-preparing-my-3-onzes-liquid-bottles-for-my-carry-on, taking the one Amtrak train which gets into Manhattan in the evening etc. etc. I said to myself, why not take the HAL Maasdam instead to get nearer to NYC and enjoy seeing some interesting spots at the same time. Well, I did not regret it. It is also very nice not having to fly to get to a cruise ship. Also, the Carribeans for me are too hot in the summer.

I now have a new motto: If you can cruise to a destination why fly to it.

• 4 weeks later...

The New England and eastern Canada rugged scenic coastline, and hopefully, interesting ports of call, because we have never been to that part of the country. The other big selling point is that we can drive to Baltimore in 30 min, so no flight or long drive. We're from Maryland, near Washington, D. C.

Edited by Sharelise