Drink Prices Not That Bad

Just sailed on the GOS 6/5/15 and did not find the drink prices outrageous. For the most part unless you were drinking a foo-foo drink they were less than what you would pay in a good restaurant or hotel bar. All were with a mix or on the rocks. The prices on the frozen drinks such as rum runners etc are high and certainly don't contain much more than lots of ice and flavoring with minimal rum.

Beer..................5.50

Baileys 7.00

Gran Marnier 7.00

Drambuie 7.00

Tanqueray 7.00

Ketel One 7.00

Crown Royal 7.50

Good to know! I thought I'd read that elsewhere too. So bottom line is, if you are looking to avoid a surprise on your bill at the end, avoid the froo-froo drinks.

Or if you really like froo-froo drinks, get a drink package.

I think $5.50 for a beer is outrageous! I mean, that's the price of a 6-pack. I know about mark-ups, but this is way overpriced. I think $5.50 for a mixed drink is high, but better than $7.00!

You all must live in expensive cities, if you think those are fair prices!

Edited by cb at sea

Bob:

Two things to consider, the size of the glass and what you call house tequila.

The ones I saw were quite large...not sure what the pour was but looked healthy.

I really don't think 10.50 is a bad price for a margarita.

FOS in April had beer at 7.08 with tip, simple margarita at 11.80 with tip and bloody marys, lava flows and daquiris etc at 14.16 with tip

pretty outrageous to me :)

$14 for a lava flow??? It was $6 on my first cruise! In 2013!!! :mad:

Just sailed on the GOS 6/5/15 and did not find the drink prices outrageous. For the most part unless you were drinking a foo-foo drink they were less than what you would pay in a good restaurant or hotel bar. All were with a mix or on the rocks. The prices on the frozen drinks such as rum runners etc are high and certainly don't contain much more than lots of ice and flavoring with minimal rum.

What sort of beer was that? 12 oz can, 16oz AL bottle, draft, etc?

Thanks!

I think $5.50 for a beer is outrageous! I mean, that's the price of a 6-pack. I know about mark-ups, but this is way overpriced. I think $5.50 for a mixed drink is high, but better than $7.00!

I take it you have never been to a professional sporting event? Beers are normally in the $8 - $12 range. RCL is downright reasonable!

$14.16 for a Long Island (with house liquors) last month on Independence. They also used shot glasses to measure, but actually under-poured instead of over-pouring like before.

I bought one... In seven days....

We usually have at least a few of those a day. We did a lot of drinking in port and in the Diamond Lounge.

Baileys 7.00

Gran Marnier 7.00

Drambuie 7.00

Tanqueray 7.00

Ketel One 7.00

Crown Royal 7.50

We were just on Majesty and hubby paid almost $12 for a rum punch made with Myers Dark! That is nuts!!!

I take it you have never been to a professional sporting event? Beers are normally in the $8 - $12 range. RCL is downright reasonable!

I'm sorry, but i have to disagree with this one. I don't think sporting events (which sell notoriously overpriced concessions) are a fair marker for what's "reasonable". A measure of "reasonable" would be looking at prices from perhaps a chain restaurant or bar, not a specialty bar/restaurant, and certainly not a sports arena. Sporting events, movie theaters, places like that are all selling to a captive audience pretty much. . . and can charge whatever they want because people are willing to pay to add to their experience. I think the cruise industry has followed along with that logic by bumping prices astronomically on some things. That said, you can still choose to imbibe or not. We do, we just get the package now. ;) But I still don't think the prices can be considered reasonable.

You can not compare the cost of buying a 6 pack of beer to the cost of a beer on a ship. A fair comparison would be the cost of a beer at a restaurant.

As far as mixed drinks, I just paid $7.75 for a Tanqueray and Tonic at a restaurant on Hampton Beach today so I consider $7.00 to be a decent price on the ship.

Bob:

Two things to consider, the size of the glass and what you call house tequila.

The ones I saw were quite large...not sure what the pour was but looked healthy.

I really don't think 10.50 is a bad price for a margarita.

Just as a perspective last month I paid $9 for a margarita with patron in Hawaii.

Cheers,

Patty

A fair comparison would be the cost of a beer at a restaurant.

2.50 - 3.25 most everywhere around here :) many places will run a 1.50 "longneck" special for several hours a day. Mixed drinks in the 6.00 - 7.00 range. A little more for "top shelf".

Now you see why I think the prices are outrageous now on the ships. I guess Im a little spoiled when it comes to drink prices when going out as compared others. Couple that with the fact that a Lava Flow was only 8.00 + 15% up until March when they went to 12.00 + 18% :eek: Even though I knew this going in, it was still a shock for sure!

Edited by ryano

So most cocktails are now $12 - Celebrity were doing this last year and were offering 2 main drinks packages, Classic and Premium. We upgraded to premium at about $10 pp per day (over the classic package) and the advantage was you got top shelf liquor inc Grey Goose, Tanquery, Tanquery No 10 and Hendricks and gave good measures in both straight mixers and cocktails ..... Martinis, Bloody Mary's and G&Ts all excellent .... Only once did a barman attempt to short change me with Beefeater Gin saying that's all I could have ..... this was on day 10 of a 11 night where I had enjoyed premium drinks and premium service all cruise .... I got Tanquery after a couple of minutes of discussion 😉

Now I am sailing Anthem (and Royal) for the first time this September and will upgrade to premium/ultimate drinks package and all I hope is they don't attempt to give low quality spirits or short measures .... Same parent as Celebrity so hope they don't try to be "cheap" - I have no problem paying premium pricing if you get premium brands and premium service

Edited by barneymag