Anthem vs. NCL breakaway

First of all, I am aware of the consequences of posting ONLY in this forum.

I've been scheduled on Anthem since March (a week AFTER returning from the breakaway). When I was on the breakaway, I ONLY ate in specialty restaurants and my 1 experience for lunch in the dining room was AWFUL! I had previously booked chef's table, wonderland, two Jamie's, and Izumi on anthem.

Here is the problem: Breakaway is a lot cheaper ($550 actual cost; $400 out of pocket when you factor in credit card OBC). Anthem is studio balcony (never done balcony before) and breakaway is studio interior (which I did and it's fine)-- not to mention that the weather out of New York/New Jersey in February is unlikely to get a lot of balcony time.

Here is my main question (despite the rambling, and I'm happy to hear any input): the only specialty I've done is mystery dinner on Royal Caribbean. I've really been fine with MDR. If I dump all of the specialty dinners, will I be happy with the food? I am also considering buying replenish drink package and upgrading a few days in to save a bit more (which I have done before-- assuming that you can upgrade on anthem, too)

We were on the recent Anthem TA (our first sailing with RCI, no Royal bias); my full review is here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2277588

The ship is stunningly beautiful with amazing spaces (e.g, Two70) and things to do that I suspect Breakaway can't touch (North Star, for example), but one of the (few) negatives for us was the quality of the food and service in some of the "complimentary" venues. But, as perditax says above, those are our subjective reactions of course.

As for the balcony, yes, it will be the winter, but it's still great to have a balcony (imho) -- even to step out in the morning to see the ocean, and at night to look at the stars before going to sleep. (I don't know your specfic intinerary, but I know you are heading south, so it won't be cold the entire cruise.) It was pretty cold on our TA and we did not get to sit out a lot on our balcony, but I don't regret having had one.

You didn't mention Chops on Anthem -- it was terrific, both the food and the service.

Happy to answer other questions.

The studio balconies are fabulous. What is your cabin number? I sailed in 6648 last Jan on the Quantum and used my balcony. The '48' cabins have huge balconies and are more sheltered behind the hump.

I really liked the MDR food. Devinely Decadence was free on our cruise as well. Enjoyed Jamie's, but did not eat in other pay venues. If I sail the anthem I would not find it necessary to pay for the specialty restaurants.

I agree with this if traveling solo. You'll probably find better deals from FL also because many more options. The reason we are cruising next week from NY/NJ is because it's 9 people and air is a killer with that many people.

As for BA vs Anthem - I can/will do a full point by point comparison after my 11/22 Anthem cruise. Stay tuned!

We were on the recent Anthem TA (our first sailing with RCI, no Royal bias); my full review is here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2277588

The ship is stunningly beautiful with amazing spaces (e.g, Two70) and things to do that I suspect Breakaway can't touch (North Star, for example), but one of the (few) negatives for us was the quality of the food and service in some of the "complimentary" venues. But, as perditax says above, those are our subjective reactions of course.

As for the balcony, yes, it will be the winter, but it's still great to have a balcony (imho) -- even to step out in the morning to see the ocean, and at night to look at the stars before going to sleep. (I don't know your specfic intinerary, but I know you are heading south, so it won't be cold the entire cruise.) It was pretty cold on our TA and we did not get to sit out a lot on our balcony, but I don't regret having had one.

You didn't mention Chops on Anthem -- it was terrific, both the food and the service.

Happy to answer other questions.

I read it and it was very informative and helpful!! Thanks for posting it.

The studio balconies are fabulous. What is your cabin number? I sailed in 6648 last Jan on the Quantum and used my balcony. The '48' cabins have huge balconies and are more sheltered behind the hump.

I really liked the MDR food. Devinely Decadence was free on our cruise as well. Enjoyed Jamie's, but did not eat in other pay venues. If I sail the anthem I would not find it necessary to pay for the specialty restaurants.

7250. I have a -48 next year, so I will eventually get to enjoy the larger balcony!!

I would not start a winter cruise in NY/NJ. Why waste 2 days each way to get to warmer weather? Fly to Florida and you'll have a lot more choices on choices for ships and itineraries.

No thanks. The choice is Anthem or Breakaway.

I am still VERY much leaning towards anthem on all fronts except financial. (The Alaska trips this summer are seriously taxing the bank account).

Trying to rework the drink package that I was going to get: on anthem, has anyone yet experienced upgrading from refreshment to premium mid-cruise? Also, can you buy the refreshment on board (heard on other ships "no" only online)?

Since you have already done Breakaway I think you will enjoy something new on Anthem.

When we sail on NCL we also eat dinner exclusively in the specialty restaurants after a few disappointing attempts,

On Quantum we ate in more specialty's than ever before. Wonderland because it was something so different and cool. The food was just to much for DH and I my kids LOVED it. Chops cause who doesn't enjoy a steak house. Jamie's was by for our favorite for sure 100%. But we never found the MDR to be a slow as NCL. RCL has more options in the MDR and We really enjoyed Divinely decadent we ate there twice for dinner and twice for lunch.

I think you will be far better in Anthems MDR over NCL's

I am still VERY much leaning towards anthem on all fronts except financial. (The Alaska trips this summer are seriously taxing the bank account).

Trying to rework the drink package that I was going to get: on anthem, has anyone yet experienced upgrading from refreshment to premium mid-cruise? Also, can you buy the refreshment on board (heard on other ships "no" only online)?

Yes, I hope to post live next week. I have sailed BA twice and for the most part, have liked her a lot. I love the "vibe" - very "NYC"- people up late, lots of energy, parties and events very well attended. People outgoing and friendly. I thought MDR food was good to very good (my most recent experience was 1 yr ago). Specialties (Le Bistro and Cagneys were very good) but I was mostly happy in the MDR for dinner. Breakfast and lunch in MDR was fair to poor but the buffet was good for those meals. However, I toured BA a few months ago and was really disappointed with buffet and with O'Sheehans- I thought it was noticeably worse than on previous cruises. Entertainment was very good. Drinks were well-made and service very good. The pool situation is horrific. I hate the set up of the pools and pool deck, the adult area is poorly designed as are the main pools, hot tubs way too small. Most activities geared towards outside (ropes course, mini-golf, slides, pools) with little cold weather options.

When Anthem had a sale that almost matched the price we paid for BA, I jumped ship. I am much more excited about the prospect of sailing Anthem than I was about returning to BA. We'll see...

Edited by conandrob240

When Anthem had a sale that almost matched the price we paid for BA, I jumped ship. I am much more excited about the prospect of sailing Anthem than I was about returning to BA. We'll see...

You should be! :) It's your chance to have a totally new experience, and on an amazing new ship.

Have a great time!! I look forward to reading your reactions.

I would not start a winter cruise in NY/NJ. Why waste 2 days each way to get to warmer weather? Fly to Florida and you'll have a lot more choices on choices for ships and itineraries.

Well, you don't have to start a winter cruise in NY/NJ if you don't want to, but others who don't like to fly or would simply prefer to drive or take a cab to the port may and do make a different decision. And having those seas days is nice too; even if it's cold outside, you're still on a ship and can enjoy it.

First of all, I am aware of the consequences of posting ONLY in this forum.

I've been scheduled on Anthem since March (a week AFTER returning from the breakaway). When I was on the breakaway, I ONLY ate in specialty restaurants and my 1 experience for lunch in the dining room was AWFUL! I had previously booked chef's table, wonderland, two Jamie's, and Izumi on anthem.

Here is the problem: Breakaway is a lot cheaper ($550 actual cost; $400 out of pocket when you factor in credit card OBC). Anthem is studio balcony (never done balcony before) and breakaway is studio interior (which I did and it's fine)-- not to mention that the weather out of New York/New Jersey in February is unlikely to get a lot of balcony time.

Here is my main question (despite the rambling, and I'm happy to hear any input): the only specialty I've done is mystery dinner on Royal Caribbean. I've really been fine with MDR. If I dump all of the specialty dinners, will I be happy with the food? I am also considering buying replenish drink package and upgrading a few days in to save a bit more (which I have done before-- assuming that you can upgrade on anthem, too)

We're having a similar discussion about Anthem vs Escape for the week before Christmas comparing a GS vs The Haven. Escape itinerary is WAY better (St Thomas, Tortola, Nassau vs Port Canaveral, CocoCay, & Nassau), weather will be nicer the first 2 days, drink/dining package included. Anthem appears to be a much better ship (larger public areas, more upscale, larger rooms & balconies, etc) and is about $1k pp cheaper. Both ports are similar distance from Nashville. We're having a tough time making up our mind for sure!

We did BA in the spring and just got off Anthem for 12 days. I felt the ships were very similar. My feelings about food: On BA we only did specialty dining and never ate in the MDRs. So I can't comment. Anthem says they don't have any MDR's but frankly the 4 included restaurants are in fact nothing more than MDR's and you will get better food, service, and ambience if you pay for the specialty dining. We ended up changing two of our included restaurant reservations to specialty dining because the experience was much better. Chic, American Icon, and Silk were all good but Chops, Wonderland, Jamie's were better experiences and the level of food and service we prefer.

I'd rather waste a day of my vacation time on a cruise ship, being catered to, eating and drinking then waste a day of my vactation time stuck in airports and on an airplane. We have cruised out of Bayonne many times and usually only the first sea day is cold in the winter. In March and beyond we are usually in warm weather the day after leaving port.

Why fly when I can get in my car at 8:30 AM in the morning and be at the port by 10 AM and on the ship at 11? AM?

I'd rather waste a day of my vacation time on a cruise ship, being catered to, eating and drinking then waste a day of my vactation time stuck in airports and on an airplane. We have cruised out of Bayonne many times and usually only the first sea day is cold in the winter. In March and beyond we are usually in warm weather the day after leaving port.

Why fly when I can get in my car at 8:30 AM in the morning and be at the port by 10 AM and on the ship at 11? AM?

Agreed!! And it is not always guaranteed to get out of the airports in mid-February.

We've now done both and the Anthem was simply a cut above. We had a blast on the Breakaway and would sail her again if the price was right, but the food in the included restaurants on Breakaway wasn't very good, whereas it was very good on the Anthem. Anthem also had more diverse entertainment, as well as two indoor pool areas for the cold weather days. Breakaway has none unless you've in the Haven.

All in all, Anthem gets the nod from us, even at a reasonably higher price point.

• 2 weeks later...

Past final payment, so no turning back!! Kept the Anthem reservation for 2016, but double booked on each for February 2017. Will likely decide when I return.

I already know that the pool will be better on Anthem than it was on Breakaway--how could it not!! And excited for my first balcony! But very nervous from what I hear about anthem unusual movement. I may end up passing on the alcoholic drink package and just buying a soda package to drink ginger ale if I get sick!

Past final payment, so no turning back!! Kept the Anthem reservation for 2016, but double booked on each for February 2017. Will likely decide when I return.

I already know that the pool will be better on Anthem than it was on Breakaway--how could it not!! And excited for my first balcony! But very nervous from what I hear about anthem unusual movement. I may end up passing on the alcoholic drink package and just buying a soda package to drink ginger ale if I get sick!

Anthem is fabulous and you will have a great time. Might there be issues, sure, but don't let them ruin your cruise.

Also, I don't agree with the "unusual movement" stuff. When we were in rough seas with extremely high winds on the TA, there was expected ship motion. When we weren't, you barely knew you were at sea. Don't worry about, and just be excited about your upcoming cruise!

We decided on Anthem - booked a GS on the 12-night Eastern itenerary for about the same cost as a 7-night Haven suite on Escape.

I think you'll have a great time. We loved Coastal Kitchen on Anthem (we were in a "spa junior suite," so could eat dinner there). Truly excellent food and service to match.

We did the Breakaway last year and the Anthem last week.

Anthem wins hands down with the pools and kids area but Breakaway wins for us as an overall ship due to better food and overall service experience.

Agree on all points but food- I think MDR food on Anthem was superior. Buffet on NCL superior. 24 O'Sheehans venue knocked the socks off the stupid pizza/patisserie area on Anthem. I thought NCL had a better, more fun "vibe". But, the pools on BA are about a 0 on a scale of 100 and Anthem's are 100+- that reason alone will make me unlikely to ever choose BA over Anthem again.