Anthem Delivers

Hi,

This past week my 35th cruise was on the Anthem. I have many cruises to compare it to, and if you have read the title of my post, you can see we liked it. Since there have been many reviews on this board, I am not going to give you a play by play, but rather give you the experience of a seasoned cruiser. So here it is... The Anthem is everything it claims to be.. Embarkation was painless, the Internet worked 95 percent of the time, and was fast, the crew for the most part went out of their way, the shows were great, the cabin was clean, lots of storage but less physical space than we are used to... Dynamic classic was good, and we thought the food was good to very good in every venue including wind jammer.. The solarium was relaxing, the ship was beautiful.. There were 2000 kids onboard, but it was not a problem.. The ship only felt crowded at the pool.. The floor felt softer than the beds..lol

So, with all the positives and it was mostly positives, I need to admit that given the chance I would go for another ship over this one.. I realize that is a personal preference and my saying that should in no way discourage someone from sailing on her. It was just too big, and despite all the technology, and decor it did not have that "wow" factor for us. (It wasn't that there was anything that was really bad, and we had a terrific time) I think too it's the constant nickel and diming, things that were always complimentary and imho still should be.

There are many people who are loyal to royal, and I get that, my Diamond status afforded me many nice perks, but I was being offered better deals on lines I don't even sail with, than on this cruise. If you like the big ships, you might feel differently than We did.

Honestly the kids were never an issue..they have an indoor pool, and then adults have the solarium... I saw very few kids out of control, and when there was apparently a problem (we didn't see it). The parents and children were summoned to Guest Relations..

I could not handle that!!!:eek:

Glad to hear that the children were well behaved. I agree with you about the Anthem as I'm more of a traditionalist, but we DID have a wonderful time and if the price were right, we'd sail her again.

People are making too much out of the dining. WE had DD and never had a problem.:)

Have you cruised the Oasis Class and if so, which one did you like better, too me Oasis class has the WOW factor, did the Anthem not have the wow factor like the Oasis or what made the Anthem NOT have the wow factor, hope this makes sense. I love the Oasis class and was just wondering

We've just got off anthem and we found it a little "big" we've cruised on the epic which I didn't find over big but I think I found the anthem seemed more crowded (maybe as it was Spring break) we also found the beds hard , staff over worked , and my main complaint was poor food ! The wind jammer was fine but the "classic" menu was repeated everywhere .... 'Chicken breast with a thyme jus, Caesar salad , French onion soup , and strip steak ' was read over and over and over again in every menu and to my surprise again .... In the paid chops grill ! Only difference was it was organic , we found any alterations needing to be made to food was a total nightmare , and the silly reservations app didn't work half the time .

Overall we relaxed , drank , ate ok , and watched the worst shows I've ever witnessed on the seas .

Sadly I think it maybe a while until we sail with RCL

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The last RCCL ship I was on, was The Adventure... I know people seem to love The Independence..

Have you cruised the Oasis Class and if so, which one did you like better, too me Oasis class has the WOW factor, did the Anthem not have the wow factor like the Oasis or what made the Anthem NOT have the wow factor, hope this makes sense. I love the Oasis class and was just wondering

Hi,

This past week my 35th cruise was on the Anthem. I have many cruises to compare it to, and if you have read the title of my post, you can see we liked it. Since there have been many reviews on this board, I am not going to give you a play by play, but rather give you the experience of a seasoned cruiser. So here it is... The Anthem is everything it claims to be.. Embarkation was painless, the Internet worked 95 percent of the time, and was fast, the crew for the most part went out of their way, the shows were great, the cabin was clean, lots of storage but less physical space than we are used to... Dynamic classic was good, and we thought the food was good to very good in every venue including wind jammer.. The solarium was relaxing, the ship was beautiful.. There were 2000 kids onboard, but it was not a problem.. The ship only felt crowded at the pool.. The floor felt softer than the beds..lol

So, with all the positives and it was mostly positives, I need to admit that given the chance I would go for another ship over this one.. I realize that is a personal preference and my saying that should in no way discourage someone from sailing on her. It was just too big, and despite all the technology, and decor it did not have that "wow" factor for us. (It wasn't that there was anything that was really bad, and we had a terrific time) I think too it's the constant nickel and diming, things that were always complimentary and imho still should be.

There are many people who are loyal to royal, and I get that, my Diamond status afforded me many nice perks, but I was being offered better deals on lines I don't even sail with, than on this cruise. If you like the big ships, you might feel differently than We did.

such as?

We've just got off anthem and we found it a little "big" we've cruised on the epic which I didn't find over big but I think I found the anthem seemed more crowded (maybe as it was Spring break) we also found the beds hard , staff over worked , and my main complaint was poor food ! The wind jammer was fine but the "classic" menu was repeated everywhere .... 'Chicken breast with a thyme jus, Caesar salad , French onion soup , and strip steak ' was read over and over and over again in every menu and to my surprise again .... In the paid chops grill ! Only difference was it was organic , we found any alterations needing to be made to food was a total nightmare , and the silly reservations app didn't work half the time .

Overall we relaxed , drank , ate ok , and watched the worst shows I've ever witnessed on the seas .

Sadly I think it maybe a while until we sail with RCL

As we are new to cruising i wondered what ship offers the best entertainment

Dear RhondaPerr,

WELCOME BACK!

HAPPY EASTER!

Thank you for your review too!

Please expand on your Nickel and Diming areas.

I see RCL :NYSE has become really actually silly, IMHO>

As who in the world besides them Collects FULL Fees/TIPS for Robotic devices serving alcohol?..etc..etc..

Even trying to add our Shareholder Benefit the Manager said.. " Oh Friday we will get to it?? Friday was this past now Good Friday.

It is NOT in our CODING. I personally FAXED then the Required Papers/DATA that Sunday .. Nobody I ever knew in FinServ is so let me be nice now.. full of loquacious palaver.

This Cruise line is so fast is mimicking NCL now.. :rolleyes:

I guess having about 5,000 paying passengers and a Very LOW RAtIo of ONLY about 1,500 staff and officers is ok with RCL: NYSE ... BUT..BUT.. How about us Cruisers??

On the Bedding did you get offered a Topper?

Hi,

Hi,

Thank-you for the feedback.

When we were on Allure waaaaaaaaay back, after check-in, we took a family picture in the terminal for welcome aboard.

Do they have anything like that in Bayonne for Anthem?

So you thought the shows were good?

You are probably one of only a few that have said they were good. Most things I've read said that "hated them all"., "Left in the middle" " etc......Good to know someone liked them, I'd hate to have to grab a seat 30-45mins in advance (even with reservations) and end up not enjoying the performance.

You are probably one of only a few that have said they were good. Most things I've read said that "hated them all"., "Left in the middle" " etc......Good to know someone liked them, I'd hate to have to grab a seat 30-45mins in advance (even with reservations) and end up not enjoying the performance.

I did not start this thread, but sailed on Anthem. All entertainment is subjective, but we loved We will Rock You, Spectra was worth seeing, but very controversial, and the Gift was very hard to follow until I saw a special on Royal's TV and it did make sense after I watched the TV program. Only one comic was good............all other shows can be easily missed. Only one adult comic for 12 days!! And I'm not even talking about the stupid juggler who's pants were way too big and getting in his way.:eek:

I just got off of the anthem. i thought that the food/service in most of the venues are much improved from my cruise 3 months ago, especially the windjammer. i really disliked the overall food and service in December. It looks like they are trying to address all the complaints about the food. They added the comment cards with the smiley faces and the headwaiters actually seemed to be expediting service and working to improve the overall experience. This time i especially enjoyed the sea day lunch menu that has the crispy pork belly/lobster roll/chicken and waffles.

silk unfortunately is still a mess.

Edited by somerandomidiot

We did not enjoy the shows on board. There were four of us and we all felt the same. We will rock you is for lack of a better word "stupid". The story line is horrible. Being a Queen fan I did enjoy the music. We did not walk out on this one. The Gift and Spectre Cabaret were so horrible we walked out part way through.... As did many other people. The cast of WWRY also did a variety show sing cover songs of various artists. It was awful! We followed many others as we walked out about 10 minutes into the show.

We never reserved in Silk, We thought Grande needed retraining, but Chic was our favorite. The Windjammer wasn't bad just unorganized and overcrowded.

Our best experiences were in the Grand with both food and service. Chic is where we had all the problems. We ate at Silk once and the food and service were good. American Icon was not good. That is where they dropped my husband's entire dinner plate on the floor and left it there for half an hour. Wait staff kept stepping over it (including the head waitress), as guests were walking past they were told to step over it. Nobody cleaned it up. Also, during this entire time they never brought my husband another dinner. It was a horrible experience .

I was on the Anthem Thanksgiving week. LOVED IT!!! I enjoyed the techno graphic productions better than the actual shows in Two70. That venue is spectacular. There is so much they could do in that venue. Loved people watching in there and relaxing while watching the ocean. Plus it has it's own bar and food. OMG!! What more can a girl ask for!?!?!?!?!

Complaints are so subjective, and also so varied depending on what's important to an individual.

People are saying they liked Chic - we had some poor food there. I loved my hibatchi steak at Silk, our friends were unhappy with theirs. Salad in the Grande missing candied walnuts and cranberries. Asked the waiter to bring them. Not the end of the world.

I loved WWRY. Spectra's Cabaret not as good as Quantum's Starwater, but certainly wouldn't have walked out on it. Had terrible seats on the side for The Gift, so not fair to judge, but really, they should at least stage the production so the audience can see it. Liked all the other shows.

Massage was great and no pressure to buy products. But nipped that in the bud by saying, "No, I am not interested in a recommendation for an exfoliation product."

No seating in Music Hall. Well then you just have to dance! We thought CD Abe was great; have heard others didn't think he was so good.

Pizza is bad; pizza is good - whatever. Eat it or not. OK for late night snack. Who cares? Not I.

Customer service didn't smile. Did you?

NorthStar and Ifly closed during our reservation time. We made new ones. (And I think once Anthem has a few more years under her, NorthStar will be much more available as it's nice, but not something I'd wait on line for again. I would think repeaters would feel the same way.)

Bottom line, we think Anthem is a great ship. But I don't think we'll go again next year as the Western Caribbean itinerary we were cheated out of (11-day cruise in January rather than 12-day due to weather) is not being repeated again. And while it was great to drive to the port, there's a lot to be said for beginning your sail-away outdoors on the pool deck, instead of in Two70 or the Solarium.