Anyone recommend the Ultimate Balcony Dining Experience????

portcbob

Hi fellow cruisers.

On our long upcoming Golden Princess cruise we have a wedding anniversary and just wondering if it is good value to do the Ultimate Balcony Dining Experience.

Regards Bob.

We have done the UBD quite a few times. It is the best!!

Here is a youtube video that I found that just about sums it up.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Hi fellow cruisers.

On our long upcoming Golden Princess cruise we have a wedding anniversary and just wondering if it is good value to do the Ultimate Balcony Dining Experience.

Regards Bob.

My wife said: "I've never felt so pampered in my life". Hint: wives feeling pampered is good. Very good. Very, very, good.

I would suggest a covered balcony. I don't think privacy will be an issue since most people will be at dinner elsewhere. If the weather is inclement, they will move the table inside. Not as good, but it will work.

FWIW, I would try to get a covered balcony not just for the UBD but so you'll have cover when it rains and shade when it's hot.

I was thinking more of the lack of privacy with people looking down at you

We never worried or noticed. We were too busy enjoying. :)

Most people have better things to do then stand at the balcony during the evening dinner hour gawking.

We never worried or noticed. We were too busy enjoying. :)

Most people have better things to do then stand at the balcony during the evening dinner hour gawking.

We never noticed if people were looking at us on the Caribe deck either.

Thoroughly enjoyed the UBD on the Star Princess.

After we made the reservation with room service (picked a port where we were sailing later in the night), waiter came to discuss the menu with us. Instead of a half-bottle of French champagne, we preferred the full bottle of Asti. Hubby ordered French Onion Soup while I had cream of mushroom soup instead of the salads. Since it was tiramisu night in the dining room, they brought that dessert in addition to the selection of mousses.

Way too much food!!!

Pictures can be found near the bottom of this webpage: http://www.websailor.org/gallery/Cruises/Mexican_Riviera_Cruise_2015/?start=601

Funniest thing was when the waiter was helping me with my tablet, :D

I was thinking more of the lack of privacy with people looking down at you

Well, if they do, the will be green with envy! As others have said, people have other things to do. Look at your itinerary and see if you can find a port with a late sail away. That helps.

We would recommend it as did it with two good friends last year on the Emerald.

There was only one formal night on the cruise and we did this in lieu of taking our formal ware.

We called Princess and bought it before we left, as never know how popular it may be.

You can't reserved the night & time until onboard, however we had them put it on the notes the night we were wanting.

When we arrived in the cabin, there were menu's to order from.

We called and were able to get the night we wanted set it all up.

There was two times to choose from, 6:00pm and 8:30pm.

There was more than enough food, all very good and two

servers dedicated to your meal, plus one free photo is included too.

Here's a couple of pictures of a four top set up and some of what we feasted on that night. It was a memorable evening:

28441821272_fe12aecd8b_z.jpgP1030059 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

27931261204_10fe1e85a7_z.jpgP1030067 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

27931257924_e5bf82088d_z.jpgP1030074 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

27931254274_6d247f129a_z.jpgP1030082 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

28548127755_0548955c42_z.jpgP1030084 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

Wonder what its like when you have an uncovered balcony ?

People who are on their balconies have a show :) We did it on the Caribbean Princess and happened to be at sail away time so lots of people were out...kind of odd but they didn't stick around long.

OMG!!!! We just did it on the Royal in June. It is an amazing experience and I think the best bargain on the ship. Only caveat, there was enough food for 6!! :D:D

My question is we're did you but the food for 6 people there is barely room for 2 people on those balconies. :eek:

Tony

Yes!!! It was worth every penny and is a special event that you won't experience anywhere on the ship.

We first had a meeting with the room service supervisor to discuss our options. On the night of the dinner he appeared again & mentioned that they were extremely busy in the dinning room so he served our food. All of the food melted in your mouth.

I've heard of people not with a balcony who also reserved the UBD & enjoyed it.

Our only disappointment was forgetting to go to the photo department to get our photo.

Please do sign up.

Tom😁

My question is we're did you but the food for 6 people there is barely room for 2 people on those balconies. :eek:

Tony

We had an awesome aft balcony!! :D

Regarding the time's available, we could request any time we wanted, we weren't restricted to 6 or 8:30.

We've done it twice.

Both times it was quite windy, and, so, we moved inside. It was great, We just left the slider open a bit and were able to enjoy the smell and the sounds of the ocean. We did have to bunch up the curtains a bit to keep them from blowing onto the table.

Both times we had complete liberty to pick our time. On the second one the room service manager told us that most people seem to book their UBD on port days. Since both times we wanted to do it on sea days, they had maximum flexibility to accommodate us.

The first time we did it on a formal night, and we dressed up, even though we were not leaving the cabin. The waitress (fom Brazil) was just blown away that we did that.

The second time the half-bottle of Champagne was somehow replaced with a half-bottle of Prosecco. No big deal. I am, in fact, a wine snob, but, interestingly enough, as long as it's very dry, one sparkler tastes, pretty much, like the next one, to us.

Speaking of wine, after the half-bottle of Champagne/Prosecco, and the glasses of Cabernet Sauvignon (for me) and Chardonnay (for her), which were included as a part of the UBD package, we open up more of our own wine which we brought on board. Heck, why not? The chances that they are going to need me to drive the ship are pretty remote.

When you think you're done, sipping some coffee, enjoying the afterglow of that amazing dessert, as the server is leaving, you find that there is more. They leave a plate of petit fours. Actually, the last time they left three plates. You'll be eating petit fours for days.

Oh, and they bring flowers for your table. The flowers also last for days.

We are celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary on the Ruby, this October. I can, pretty much, guarantee that we will be enjoying the UBD that day.

:)

We always get a aft suite which has a nice deep balcony. 4 people is no problem on that balcony. We have done this dinner at least once on every cruise since they have offered it usually twice on a 15 days cruise. 10 times at least. Every dinner has been great.Its way to much food. We have never finished the whole meal. It is better then the MDR, Crown Grill. The chefs table is comparable but not as nice if you want a quite dinner by yourselves.