Would you make a complaint?

RR61

I'm currently on the Breakaway, early morning day two. I'm in a 2 bedroom suite and have sailed quite a few times in this category.

I've never had an issue with a room steward but this trip I do. When I walked into my room yesterday it was filthy....BOTH toilets had enough feces in it that it was clearly never even looked at to clean, there was a used SHARPS CONTAINER in the bathroom! no toilet paper on holders, no hand towels and the bath towels were stiff and wrinkled and because of the state of the room made me wonder if they were used and just put back up?!

Ugh, I'm so disappointed because I know this is not the norm. My question is, if I make a complaint to whom? Guest services, concierge? My biggest worry is that if I complain about this room steward, he then will be entering my room for the next 6 days and, well would you feel comfortable with that?

I always bring hydrogen peroxide wipes and wipe down the surfaces in the room anyway for some "extra" cleaning, but this time I LITERALLY cleaned my room.

I really didn't want this to be a damper on the start of my vacation but since its 5am and I'm asking for some advice on CC, I'd say I clearly can't let this go yet!

Yes, I would complain at the Guest Services desk. I would have done that before cleaning it so they could see the state it was in. Don't worry about the steward causing problems down the line - they might replace them and you can complain again if not.

It's very rare so perhaps there is an unusual explanation.

Wait I'm confused- was it your sharps box? If so then I don't think a room stewards responsibility extends to removing sharps boxes. If not then why on earth would one be left in your room??

Besides that I would certainly have a word with guest services if your room is not being cleaned. Taking pictures of what it was like after 'cleaning' would help if you have them.

Wait I'm confused- was it your sharps box? If so then I don't think a room stewards responsibility extends to removing sharps boxes. If not then why on earth would one be left in your room??

Actually I think it is their responsibility. As I'm a dietetic, I need a sharps box to dispose of my testing needles. A steward usually makes sure there is one when I board and I would think they would know how and where to dispose of it's contents after the cruise.

The box was probably there from the last passenger and since it sounds like the room was not cleaned, the box was not removed.

I would have complained about the room before I put my bags down.

Don

I wouldn’t hesitate to complain to guest services and I would let your concierge know how dissatisfied you were with the condition of the bathrooms. You really should have called guest services as soon as you discovered that disgusting condition. I would have made quite a bit of noise about that issue. It's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease.

I wonder if the room steward somehow forgot to clean that room? I mean it doesn't sound like he was just cutting corners with that much undone. Maybe he started, got called away and forgot to come back. I would not have cleaned it myself, immediately told him, I think you may have forgotten to finish cleaning this room. I would always start with the steward, giving them the benefit of the doubt, before reporting to a higher authority. I would not hesitate to complain to guest services though if need be. It doesn't matter the room category, that is unacceptable, but could have been an honest mistake.

To me, it seems obvious the room had not been cleaned, at least not properly. I'd have been out of their, very quickly. Gone straight to GS to ask, in a nice way, for my room to be completely cleaned, including new sheets, towels everything. And for the record, I don't think it's necessarily your steward who has the job of cleaning the cabin you're in.

Like others here have alluded to... you stayed in the room, why?

This.

I'm thinking this is a joke.

Actually it's not a joke. I was venting and clearly should have worded my title differently and should have just stated facts. But I asked for advice on something that seems like a no brainer-I get it. Yes, I see my room was unacceptable and should have been dealt with right away. Instead I tried to just clean it myself and move on but it bothered me enough that I put my thoughts down here.

Thank you for all the comments. I will talk to guest services.

I wouldn’t hesitate to complain to guest services and I would let your concierge know how dissatisfied you were with the condition of the bathrooms. You really should have called guest services as soon as you discovered that disgusting condition. I would have made quite a bit of noise about that issue. It's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease.

Agree.

I would have called immediately and had someone meet me in the room. So they could see the exact condition before the steward had a chance to fix anything.

My biggest worry is that if I complain about this room steward, he then will be entering my room for the next 6 days and, well would you feel comfortable with that?

What... do you think the stew is gonna murder you or something? Throw you off the balcony? Do you normally go through life this timid and afraid?

[YOUTUBE]g2jAwiq6YsE[/YOUTUBE]

There was a sharps box in my room in the cabinet above the sink on my Epic cruise a couple weeks ago.

I initially thought it was odd but didn't think about it again. I don't use needles. For some reason I just assumed this might be standard now but that doesn't really make sense in retrospect.

You haven't spoken to guest services or the steward? Wait. So you boarded yesterday, found your room filthy, cleaned up yourself with hydrogen peroxide wipes, stayed in the room, slept in the bed, used the bathroom (and towels). Why would you sleep in that bed knowing the rest of the room wasn't cleaned? You suspected the towels were used & just left kept using them? Now that I've recapped do you understand why people think your story isn't real?

First thing I would have done would be talk to the room steward and if nothing corrected then the concierge or guest services.

They have been in our room on our last two cruises. Both in balcony rooms.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There was a sharps box in my room in the cabinet above the sink on my Epic cruise a couple weeks ago.

I initially thought it was odd but didn't think about it again. I don't use needles. For some reason I just assumed this might be standard now but that doesn't really make sense in retrospect.

Thanks for the info re the sharps container, like I said, we've always had to ask for one. It just means we'll save some time when settling in.

You haven't spoken to guest services or the steward? Wait. So you boarded yesterday, found your room filthy, cleaned up yourself with hydrogen peroxide wipes, stayed in the room, slept in the bed, used the bathroom (and towels). Why would you sleep in that bed knowing the rest of the room wasn't cleaned? You suspected the towels were used & just left kept using them? Now that I've recapped do you understand why people think your story isn't real?

First thing I would have done would be talk to the room steward and if nothing corrected then the concierge or guest services.

I'm sure OP knows since you're not the first to suggest what should have been done. I feel badly that anyone would have to start a cruise by running to the concierge or housekeeping or GS. It's really not the nicest situation to be put in and really would put a damper on your vacation.

However, the scariest part is the possibility of the germs that would be left behind by someone else.

Actually it's not a joke. I was venting and clearly should have worded my title differently and should have just stated facts. But I asked for advice on something that seems like a no brainer-I get it. Yes, I see my room was unacceptable and should have been dealt with right away. Instead I tried to just clean it myself and move on but it bothered me enough that I put my thoughts down here.

Thank you for all the comments. I will talk to guest services.

Definitely talk to guest services. In fact, ask to speak to the hotel director. That is beyond unacceptable!

I'm sure OP knows since you're not the first to suggest what should have been done. I feel badly that anyone would have to start a cruise by running to the concierge or housekeeping or GS. It's really not the nicest situation to be put in and really would put a damper on your vacation.

However, the scariest part is the possibility of the germs that would be left behind by someone else.

Breakaway Haven 2-bedrooms are in the Haven. There are phone numbers for the butler, steward, concierge plus there are usually staff in the halls - especially on embarkation day. 1 phone call to the steward to ask him/her to correct the problem. As someone said earlier, he/she may have been in the middle of cleaning and got called away & forgot. Give them the benefit of the doubt and let them fix the problem before escalating to the concierge but don't wait 24 hours in a potentially germ infested cabin.