RevNeal's Review of the Oosterdam: Jan 7-14, 2006

RevNeal

Review of the ms Oosterdam

January 7-14, 2006

By: Dr. Gregory S. Neal

If you haven't read my review of this lovely ship posted from last year, I suggest that you do so at:

That review will provide details that will be missed here. At that time I was interested in featuring details of the Vista class that would be of interest to a long-time HAL Mariner accustomed to the S and R class vessels. In this review I'm less focused upon the details of the ship's layout and more upon the quality of service and the new Leisure Dining Service. I shall not address the ports of call. For insights about the ports of call, I suggest the reader view my photo galleries of this cruise.

Introduction:

I enjoy cruising in January -- after the hustle and bustle of the Christmas Holiday it is an excellent way to begin a new year. Last year I made the mistake of waiting until February to take my first cruise, so this year I wisely booked the January 7 cruise of the Oosterdam. While perhaps a characteristic of Holland America Line Cruises, I've discovered that the prices tend to be excellent for January, and the weather in the Mexican Rivera couldn't be more pleasant. This was particularly true this year.

Ship's Condition:

The Oosterdam will be 3 years old this July and, as is true with any ship that is continuously at sea, there are a few small signs of wear and tear to be seen here and there: dings in corridor walls, occasional cracks in glass surfaces, an occasional example of damaged upholstery on a sofa or chair, a broken fixture or burned out light bulb here or there ... nothing major and all certainly slated for repair. Indeed, during the course of this cruise I noticed 2 cracks in a glass surface that were present one day but gone the next. In keeping with HAL's well-earned historic moniker: "The Spotless Fleet," the Oosterdam's crew can be seen constantly cleaning the ship; she is "spick and span" and as close to "Bristol Fashioned" as can reasonably be expected of a cruise ship.

My Cabin and Cabin Steward:

I found my cabin to be in exemplary condition. J-1037 is my favorite inside cabin on the Vista ships: larger than any other inside stateroom in the fleet and located midway between midships and the forward elevator/stairs, nothing aboard is very far away. Having been in it in February 2005, I was not surprised to find it in identical condition in January 2006; Holland America knows how to take care of their environs, and even their "cheaper" inside staterooms are exceedingly well-maintained. My cabin steward was one of the best I've ever had (but, then, I say this on every HAL cruise!): my stateroom was kept clean and orderly, even though I am neither. The attention to detail provided by my steward, given the number of other cabins he had to maintain, was really beyond my expectation. His towel animals were fantastic and his honesty beyond reproach. Somehow a $5 bill must have gotten folded in with the receipts from a shore excursion's buying spree that I had tossed into the trash can; I came back to my cabin after breakfast to find the receipts stacked neatly on the night stand and the $5 bill resting on top. The Steward could have kept the bill and no one, least of all my careless self, would have been the wiser ... but this young man was scrupulously honest, and for that he should be commended. He should also be commended for his patience with a passenger who has something of a wicked sense of humor: on this cruise I kept turning the roll of toilet paper over so that it dispensed from the bottom and not from the top ... just to see what my steward would do. Sure enough, each and every evening I would notice that the roll had been reversed and that the end had been folded into a arrow-point, like always.

Food -- Lido:

The Lido, as always, was superb. The food was outstanding, and varied, the staff quick and efficient. For example: on other HAL ships I have sometimes had trouble getting the Omelet cook to understand that I want the ham, cheese, and onion to be cooked BEFORE egg is added to the mixture. On the Oosterdam I didn't have to explain this to the cook; he did it without my even asking. Area staff kept tables bussed, and were always quick to help people with trays to find places to sit. Sometimes the Lido was a little too crowded, but the staff helped to keep this from becoming a serious problem.

Food -- Pinnacle Grill:

As usual, the food in the Pinnacle Grill was excellent. Sometimes the service in the Pinnacle Grill can be a bit ... well, stern. Perhaps it's the contrast between the smiling pleasure of the Indonesians and the brisk indifference of the Eastern Europeans, but the difference is usually noticeable and, in the Pinnacle, it can leave a bit to be desired. On this visit, however, I was blessed to be the guest of the Hotel Manager, Mr. Henk Mensink, and hence the service as well as the food was absolutely top-notch. The Filet is fantastic, the vegetables excellent, and the Chocolate Volcano Cake is to die for!

Food -- Main Dining Room:

I believe that HAL's food is improving. HAL cuisine used to be called "dull and boring" or "banquet quality," and while I would agree that such was sometimes the case, this is no longer so (at least, not in my experience on the Oosterdam in January 2006). The meals were very well prepared, and presentation -- once somewhat lacking in HAL dishes -- has been upgraded with a degree of the all-so-popular "verticality." Yes, I had to move two standing wedges of chicken breast in order to find a pile of potatoes and other vegetables below. The food selections are sufficiently varied so as to require one to make difficult choices between competing items of significant appeal, while the servings are small enough so as to allow one to sample multiple dishes if desired. I never left the dining room hungry: if I wished, I could always order more of something I like (and I did, on more than one occasion). Their soups were especially good, and the Filet Minion was so tender it could be cut with a fork, and was indeed tasty. One of the problems I've sometimes experienced on HAL ships has been the food being warm but not HOT ... not this time. Each dish was served at a perfect temperature: hot when it's supposed to be hot, chilled when it's supposed to be chilled.

My Dining Room Stewards and my Area Supervisor were quite good. They were quick, knowledgeable about the food, and a pleasure with which to chat. They sometimes seemed over-worked, but other times the balance of staff-to-passenger appeared to be good. They made a couple of mistakes -- once bringing me a soup I had not ordered, and on another occasion forgetting (or not understanding?) the order of one of my table mates. However, in both cases the error was quickly addressed and the correct item provided.

The Test of the "Leisure Dining Service":

On this cruise of the Oosterdam Holland America was testing a new "Leisure Dining Service" schedule. As a HAL traditionalist this didn't sound too inviting and, indeed, as it was originally communicated to many of us on Cruise Critics (one of the Internet Discussion boards) it was to be an attempt at "Open Seating" or "Anytime Dining." HAL has a form of open seating for lunch in the Main Dining Room; it works well given the number of passengers who avail themselves of it, but for dinner an attempt at "Anytime Dining" would be a disaster. Given the 1050 seating capacity of the Main Dining Room, an "open" or "anytime" dining schedule could not hope to accommodate the 1848 double occupancy passenger compliment of a Vista class ship. Of course, what was feared was the unknown, not any version of reality. The new "Leisure Dining Service" being tested on the Oosterdam is not "open" or "anytime" dining. If anything, what I experienced on the Oosterdam during her January 7 cruise was almost a return to the traditional two-sittings schedule that had been in-place on HAL prior to 2003: everyone had an assigned table and an assigned sitting. The only substantive difference is that the window for arrival has been expanded:

Early Seating passengers are invited to arrive between 5:30 pm - 6pm.

Main Seating passengers are invited to arrive between 8 - 9 pm

That's it. They've done away with the upper/lower distinction. They have an "arrival window" -- 30 minutes for early seating, an hour for main seating -- but, otherwise, this is really a return to the traditional dining of the past. From what the Hotel Manger told me (and I am free to share this) the test indicates that 95% of the passengers are arriving during the first half hour of the main seating window, and that a full 80% are arriving within the first 15 minutes. The staff has been trained to suggest that each table settle on a common arrival time (if possible). HENCE, if a whole table agrees to show up at 8:15 pm (per the old, pre 4-seatings schedule) then that's when dinner begins. Ditto for 8 or even 9 pm. That is the extent of the change. The arrival "window" has been expanded.

One of the concerns with this new dining schedule comes from those of us who are solo cruisers. Unless we're with a larger group, the chances of us being seated at a table where we are the "odd-person-out" is real. Of course, this is nothing new; solo cruises always have the chance of finding themselves at the dining table all by themselves. Under this new system, such passengers are invited to join another table if they wish. However, such is not -- nor should it be -- required. Twice this past cruise my table mates never showed up for dinner. On both occasions I waited until 8:30 pm and then I ordered dinner. On both occasions I was invited to join another table; once I did, the other time I did not. Again, this has always been a possibility for solo cruisers, and now a system to help address it is in place.

Speaking for myself, as a traditionalist passenger, I can detect very little difference between this schedule and the way it used to be before the upper and lower dining time division came into effect 3 or so years ago. The only difference is that the window for arrival is larger. It works well, and I hope that HAL implements this form of the new Dining Schedule. HAL should remain HAL ... and that is perfectly possible, maintaining traditional seating and timing, while at the same time providing a larger window for arrival in the Dining Room.

Concluding Remarks:

The Oosterdam is a gorgeous vessel, and her fabulous crew are a credit to the Holland America Line. Keep up the good work, and thank you so much for a pleasant cruise.

Photo galleries will follow in the next few days.

Revneal....

We just got back today from traveling on the Oosterdam after you got off, we got on. Yes, I thought the food was great in the main dinning room and didn't see a problem with the expanded seating time. I saw that just about everyone at the second seating were in place no later than 8:15 and that serving was very organized and efficient. I did find 1 time at breakfast in the main dinning room that the service is not very attentive as we had in the evening. We ate breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill several times and with no one there the service was outstanding! I also noticed that the carpet had some wear, but like you said for a ship that's in constant use, and at full capacity it wasn't that bad.

Danny

Greg, Excellent Review:) As I read the reveiw to Tom we both got quite a chuckle out of the changing of the toilet paper :rolleyes: hmmmm wonder if we should try this :D Actually since we will have 5187 again and just had this cabin in Ocotber we are hoping to have our same cabin steward we had last time.

Thanks again for a great review.

Greg - Excellent review! Glad to see you still enjoyed the Oosterdam. Your insight to the dining changes is helpful.

I think we should start a CC tradition of turning the toliet paper rolls over each day when we sail on the Oosterdam!

....for an articulate, well-written, and very interesting review. As always, it was very worth waiting for. As I've previously mentioned, your observations and photos are a big reason I chose HAL for our family's first cruise this summer. Thanks to you, I feel that I've made a well-informed decision in selecting Holland America. (You really DO deserve some recognition from them in sending business their way! :) )

However, we will refrain from tampering with the toilet paper.;) Also, I promise our children will not abscond with all the chocolate-covered strawberries in the Neptune lounge, nor will they blow soda at each other through their straws, nor shalleth they perform cannon balls in the swimming pool, thereby splashing water over reverend gentlemen who may happen to have a bungee cord or a skeet shooter on hand (humor, humor, this is an attempt at humor....)_

thanks for the clear and concise explanation of the "open seating" test--i personally feel much better after reading it -- do you think that his will be implmented on the odam on a permanent basis?? will all the ships of the line use this new time schedule??

Revneal

Thanks so much for your review or your recent cruise on Oosterdam. Your thoughts and insight of this ship along with other past cruisers helped us to make a final decision and try HAL in January -06....

Looking forward to your photos from this cruise :)

Excellent, Greg. Thanks! From your observation, it appears that the vast majority of pax are still showing up at a fixed time ... for all intents and purposes. Wouldn't this be a signal to HAL to just leave well enough alone? Guess we'll have to wait and see what happens long term.

Rev. Greg, thanks for your GREAT review! Also thanks for "taking" us with you on this past cruise by your inspriational postings! (I would love to hear one of your sermons!)

You have my wife and I all fire-up because we get on the Oosterdam next Saturday!!!!:D

Thanks again!

Have you decided to make the Mexican Rivera an annual tradition?????

It could be ... I've done it twice, now, and am giving thought to doing it next year. Rather than the Oosterdam again, I'm looking at the possibility of doing the Feb 21st 10 day cruise on the Ryndam.

Thanks for a great review. I always look forward to your reviews after each cruise and looking forward to seeing your pictures.

I plan to go solo for the first time on Oosterdam late this year or early next year. You mentioned room J1037 is bigger then the other inside cabins. Is it that specific cabin that is bigger or all the J cabins on the main deck?

Thanks also for your excellent review of the new dining. When I first heard about it I was also concerned since I was planning to travel solo but it seems to be okay by me. On my first Oosterdam cruise I was assigned the 8:30 seating. I have loved the 8 pm seating on my previous two cruises but 8:30 was just too late to start so I do like that everyone in the late seating can come at 8 if they so please.

Have a wonderful day! :D

Nobby

Thanks for the great review! I am getting ready to go with my parents on the Oosterdam. I cant wait! I do have a question. How were the beds in your inside room? Will I need to bring a mattress pad? A bad back makes me ask.

Excellent, Greg. Thanks! From your observation, it appears that the vast majority of pax are still showing up at a fixed time ... for all intents and purposes. Wouldn't this be a signal to HAL to just leave well enough alone? Guess we'll have to wait and see what happens long term.

Actually no. The current arrangement shows that Traditional Diners and Leisure diners can both have what they want. Thats a win/win for HAL.

I alluded to the fact that you could make your own Traditional Dining if you wanted back when I posted about a survey I got from HAL.

Guess I was right. Please let me enjoy being right for once....it doesn't happen very often...LOL

I just concluded a cruise on the Oosterdam yesterday (1/21), and wow, what a ship!

I think the wear on the carpets (mainly around the elevator lobbies) is because the housekeepers are constantly cleaning them. They take such good care of the ship, it is amazing.

As for the new dinner seating arrangement, I think it does affect the amount of attention the wait staff can give to each individual. They have diners in their care that are at different stages of their meals, and it makes an already hectic and challenging task even moreso.

I read somewhere that each table is encouraged to agree on a starting time, but with three different groups represented at our table, that was impossible. It sometimes left those of us who arrived early waiting for those who rambled in later to catch up with us... at least that seemed to be the approach of the wait staff. Dinner turned into a (almost) two hour event.

I don't fault the wait staff at all... they did their best. I just think the new seating option detracts from the attention they would like to give... and to which cruisers have been accustomed.

RevNeal Great review as you may or may not know we are going on the "O" in April and your review just makes it seem that much closer:)

Also may you might know How are the Soda cards working on the "O"? It seems to me each Dam ship is doing it their own way

Once aghain thanks for an outstanding review:)

Mike,

Last week was the first week of Oosterdam's new soda card system. They actually sell you a punch card for about $20. It comes out to about $1 a glass.

We ended up buying our soda in ports. For many of us, it is an addiction, and even at $1 a glass it can get expensive. I like the $30 sticker better, and I really think that was less trouble for the bartenders. Now, they have to fool with the hole punch in addition to dispensing the beverage.

On the other hand, the iced tea on the Oosterdam was some of the best I have had... and it is freely available in the Lido Dining Room.

Tom

I appreciate your evaluation of the current dining test and how well it seems to be working out; I've come to trust your judgement.

Your tablemates didn't show up at all? Without letting you know in advance? That's not nice. Tell ya what---if some night I don't show up for dinner on the Voyage of the Spammed pray for the repose of my soul. 'cause I won't be getting there at all! :rolleyes:

(I get to the table on time!)

As for the TP---well. all I can say is I take mine off the spindle, and my steward learns quickly to leave it alone! ;)

Archived