interesting Celebrity news/commentary from Constellation

tmac

Just back from Connie 10 night cruise. A few personal observations: First, this was my seventh X cruise and I can tell you that unfortunately the food quality has diminished. The quality of meals at the dinners is going downhill. While the presentation is beautiful, the meat quality and taste of dishes are way down and the closest thing I would compare it to would be the food on RCCL. Just mediocre food now.

My waiter said that he, along with many waiters, was concerned that the food was going to go (more)downhill in two weeks because he said that then they were going to be getting all new menus for the dining room. He also added that more importantly they are going to start bringing more pre-made food aboard. Currently they make everything onboard fresh with the exception of two things---bagels and I forget the second thing now. Anyway, he thought it was a bad thing and I agree.

The pool butlers were useless in taking control of the towel/chairhogging situation on top deck. While I enjoyed being away on vacation, I am glad to be back in civilization and away from many rude people who find it okay to check out 8 books from the library and deposit a book and a towel on eight chairs and maintain to others that "they are coming right back" when they in fact come back in 3 hours or more.

Tipping: I have always at a minimum tipped the recommended amount. However, I refused to tip the recommended $15 to the "assistant chief housekeeper" this time. I wrote "thank you" and deposited that in the envelope that my room steward was to hand to him. I find it very offensive and insulting to ask for a tip for someone who I have not even met. Also, I do not feel it is appropriate that I tip management!!!!! I also requested an extra envelope and on the sly gave a nice tip to my assistant room steward and added a note saying that I thought that after all his hard work he deserved to get his own envelope. I think it is ridiculous that there is an envelope for someone who I don't know who works in a management capacity and yet for the assistant who cleans your bathroom he does not have an envelope.

The assistant maitre'd. I always tip and I did again b/c frequently we change tables before the first dinner. However, everyone at my table did not do that because they said all he did was take the lobster out of my shell and for two lobsters to take them out of the shell I'm not tipping $15.

I've been told on past cruises by workers that Americans tip regularly but the Europeans and people from the UK tend to not tip at all since tips are frequently included in any service charges.

Anyone else notice that as cruises go on by the end of the cruise people are really rude? I was getting tired of people going off on the staff like they are someone special or something. It really irritated me. People can be so mean and impatient and these workers on the cruiseships work very very hard and they don't deserve to be spoken to in this way. A few times I finally had to step in and tell the rude people to be quiet---something that they couldn't say for themselves.

Anyway, just thought some may be interested in those tidbits. Sorry it was a stream of consciousness!!

tmac,

Tipping: I have always at a minimum tipped the recommended amount. However, I refused to tip the recommended $15 to the "assistant chief housekeeper" this time. I wrote "thank you" and deposited that in the envelope that my room steward was to hand to him. I find it very offensive and insulting to ask for a tip for someone who I have not even met. Also, I do not feel it is appropriate that I tip management!!!!! I also requested an extra envelope and on the sly gave a nice tip to my assistant room steward and added a note saying that I thought that after all his hard work he deserved to get his own envelope. I think it is ridiculous that there is an envelope for someone who I don't know who works in a management capacity and yet for the assistant who cleans your bathroom he does not have an envelope.

I agree completely on this one. I hope that you also made an appropriate comment on your evaluation form at the end of the cruise. Staff in Celebrity's headquarters do read the comments and frequent comments do get action. You can always write "see attached sheet(s)" in the box and attach as many sheets as you need, as many of us do, if the box is not big enough for your comments.

BTW, comments that mention staff members by name or position also figure very strongly in promotions, etc. Positive comments give the staff member a bump up and negative comments give the staff member a bump down.

Norm.

Just back from Connie 10 night cruise. A few personal observations: First, this was my seventh X cruise and I can tell you that unfortunately the food quality has diminished. The quality of meals at the dinners is going downhill. While the presentation is beautiful, the meat quality and taste of dishes are way down and the closest thing I would compare it to would be the food on RCCL. Just mediocre food now.

My waiter said that he, along with many waiters, was concerned that the food was going to go (more)downhill in two weeks because he said that then they were going to be getting all new menus for the dining room. He also added that more importantly they are going to start bringing more pre-made food aboard. Currently they make everything onboard fresh with the exception of two things---bagels and I forget the second thing now. Anyway, he thought it was a bad thing and I agree.

My immediate reaction when I learned that Chef Roux's contract had been terminated was that food quality would decline. I've posted my thoughts on this subject on a couple other threads. In brief, Chef Roux's contract wasn't that expensive in and of itself. However, the food quality standards and fresh ingredients he insisted on did have a cost, and that cost can and will be cut now that Roux is out of the picture.

There may be one saving grace. Recent comments by Dan Hanrahan indicate that Celebrity is sensitive to Conde Nast Traveler reader survey results. The typical Conde Nast reader is not likely to reward RCI style food with top ratings. The desire to maintain high Conde Nast scores may temper the cost cutting campaign, at least to a degree. If not, this may be one of the best things that ever happened -- for Oceania.

I've been told on past cruises by workers that Americans tip regularly but the Europeans and people from the UK tend to not tip at all since tips are frequently included in any service charges.

I find that remark a little worrying - we prepay our service charge - yes we are from the UK - so we have tipped. A little concerned some staff might think we do not. However, every time the waiter, room attendent etc always thanks us for the tip they have been advised we have paid - and of course many of them get an additional envelope from us at the end of the cruise.

Actually we have fun, a few afternoons before the end of the cruise DH and I sit down with a drink and have an "oscar judging ceremony" to decide who is to get extra and how much. It is nice because it is gives us the chance to have a nice little "mini reflection" of the cruise. Oscars have in the past been awarded to bar staff, public area cleaners, Happy Happy, and a photographer all of whom have done something really really special for us

The switch to pre-made foods is following in RCI's footsteps and is not a surprise.

Food and service in the dining room has set X apart from other mass market lines; it appears that is about to change and that is really too bad.

I wonder if they will also get rid of the sommeliers, as ours told us while aboard in November?

Sorry to hear that not all of your experiences onboard Constellation were great. It is indeed disappointing to hear about the food. I have always been very pleased with it on the X cruises I have been on. Although I am not a great foodophile, I do know what I like (I've always enjoyed the beef dishes) so it will be interesting to compare when I'm on her in a month.

As for the Sommeliers, that would be a real shame to see them go.

Phil

Actually we have fun, a few afternoons before the end of the cruise DH and I sit down with a drink and have an "oscar judging ceremony" to decide who is to get extra and how much.

What a neat idea! :)

But, I would probably to partial to the waffle cook. :rolleyes:

Good Morning or day to all on CC!

Well I felt I needed to add my two cents here how I am a classically trained and also school trained (Johnson and Wales University) Chef for over 12 years and an Economics to throw you out in left field!

Over the past 5 years what we refer to as commodity items in the food industry have come a long and I mean a long way anytime before I would say 1998 it would be 100 times better to make it yourself but not today in many different items but not all.

What I mean is things bread have come a long way you can buy now frozen artisan breads that are actually a great product you can get just plain old rustic all the way to roasted garlic and rosemary and caramelized onion and garlic focaccia. Soups is another way things have come along especially now they are making gourmet soups and the only down fall they usually don’t add too much meat but customer meaning a restaurant or ship can add more of that ingredient in but look at Campbell Soups with their signature line. My point is this is not a bad thing initially but could be very good. Desserts is a huge thing as well that has come along way because you can actually buy signature desserts or high end restaurant desserts in bulk and have a wonderful flavor to them and even souffles are being offered now too just pop it in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes and a wonderful chocolate souffle.

I think what RCCL is doing is what restaurant's need to do to survive over everything else and that is consistency and you read everyday people say one ship the soup sucked and then on another the best soup on earth so RCCL is trying to bring some stuff in pre done or pretty close to it so they can have a consistent quality product to offer to their customers.

I forgot to mention vegetables as well look on the Food Network now a days you will see them using allot of frozen vegetables and fruit why because they are actually better then the fresh stuff because they are picked at the peak of season and then rushed to the factory and processed and then IQF meaning Individually Quick Frozen and this perserves them at the peak flavor they have for at least 6 months. Go out to the store and buy Bird Eye Vegetables and you tell me which is better the labor of doing it yourself or buying frozen and had some S&P butter and a little water and 5 minutes great veggies.

Paul

tmac: I agree with you re tipping. I do not tip anyone who I've never seen (such as the chief housekeeper) or someone in a management position. As for tipping in general, it is extremely unfair for the cruise lines to put all the tips into a pot and divide amongst the staff. All that promotes is laziness amongst some of the staff because they know they don't have to work and they will still receive a tip. If anyone gives me exceptional service I always give them an envelope "on the side".

I am sorry to hear that Celebrity is going with many "pre-made" items. For the extra cost we are paying for our upcoming cruise hearing this change maybe we should have saved our money and gone RCCL!

One of my favorite things to do on the ship is try new and different dishes at dinner. Oh well we will see how it goes.

The use of prepared foods is an economic decision. It affects both cost of food as well as the labor needed to prepare it.

Personally,I do not care to eat food that is treated with preservatives to keep it fresh, as is often the case with packaged food.

And while Paul makes a point, IMO there is a reason the Roux and other chefs insist on fresh ingredients.

While I do use frozen veggies on occasion at home, I do not use premade soups, sauces, dinners, etc. I like to have control over what is used in the foods I eat to whatever degree possible. Many additves are used to improve taste, retain color, etc. and I just prefer to limit the consumption of such things.

There is a price to be paid for using fresh as anyone who shops for those items knows.

Well here goes my two cents.

Boy I totally agree about the tipping, food, rude people and would also like to add the nickel and diming.

We just returned also from 11 days in January and I posted almost the exact same complaints. Why should I tip someone I have not even met like the Asst Housekeeper. Yet the asst room steward did not have an envelope. Which I tipped on the side. That did burn me.

As for the food it was mediocre at best. In fact our waiter kept asking can I bring you something else? He knew but also was a delight.

The one thing I did see was the constant cleaning of the ship which I thought was great. Keeping in mind that they had a few outbreaks of the noro and they need to keep passengers coming on board.

As for the Asst Maitre D he did do a few extra things for our table so I did feel that his tip was somewhat justified. But I certainly agree that management does not need to be rewarded.

Also the service in the morning in the dining room was below par, I know they knew they were not being paid so they really did not care.

I was instructed by the girl doing my nails that a tip was included and if I wanted to give more I could. How rude is that?

Having been on other cruise lines where the tips and drinks are included and the food was excellent. I guess you just have to weigh your price options.

Again just wanted to add my 2 cents. Thanks

We have discussed the Asst. Chief Housekeeper many times on this board and most do not believe he/she deserves a tip. Unfortunately you did tip him. In the event they are not tipped, their tip is taken from the stewards. For that reason I alway tip them even though I don't agree with it.

I actually specifically asked my room steward whether they would cut into their tip if I turned in an empty envelope to the assistant chief housekeeper and he responded no that his tip is only shared with his assistant room steward. I went further to be sure and I said okay well I'm not gonna tip him b/c I don't even know who this person is but I don't want to do it if it is gonna come out of his tip as a result and he said no it is not a problem not to worry I only share with my personal assistant cabin steward not assistant chief housekeeper.

Also, it occured to me that on X it is better to not prepay your gratuities b/c this way your tipping remains a private issue between you and the person providing the service, thereby taking out any involvement or knowledge imparted to X. It really is none of X's business. Finally, if you do prepay on X, you HAVE to tip all the recommended amounts at a minimum (something I have no problem with and tend to tip up from it anyway) BUT you also HAVE to tip all the people X thinks are deserving of tips which includes the assistant chief housekeeper and asst maitre'd.

I actually specifically asked my room steward whether they would cut into their tip if I turned in an empty envelope to the assistant chief housekeeper and he responded no that his tip is only shared with his assistant room steward. I went further to be sure and I said okay well I'm not gonna tip him b/c I don't even know who this person is but I don't want to do it if it is gonna come out of his tip as a result and he said no it is not a problem not to worry I only share with my personal assistant cabin steward not assistant chief housekeeper.

Also, it occured to me that on X it is better to not prepay your gratuities b/c this way your tipping remains a private issue between you and the person providing the service, thereby taking out any involvement or knowledge imparted to X. It really is none of X's business. Finally, if you do prepay on X, you HAVE to tip all the recommended amounts at a minimum (something I have no problem with and tend to tip up from it anyway) BUT you also HAVE to tip all the people X thinks are deserving of tips which includes the assistant chief housekeeper and asst maitre'd.

And over the years, many people have asked the same question and received the exact opposite answer, so many so that it is very hard to not believe it. This has been common knowledge on these boards for at least ten years and has been written about dozens of times. I aslo remember vaguely back several years ago where some executive mentioned this was the case and tried to justify it. This was in a chat room or something similiar.

Good Morning or day to all on CC!

I forgot to mention vegetables as well look on the Food Network now a days you will see them using allot of frozen vegetables and fruit why because they are actually better then the fresh stuff because they are picked at the peak of season and then rushed to the factory and processed and then IQF meaning Individually Quick Frozen and this perserves them at the peak flavor they have for at least 6 months. Go out to the store and buy Bird Eye Vegetables and you tell me which is better the labor of doing it yourself or buying frozen and had some S&P butter and a little water and 5 minutes great veggies.

Paul

Paul, coming from the Midwest, I have to agree with you about the frozen fruits and vegetables. I eat fruit every morning for breakfast. After looking at the sad looking fruit in our stores, I bought the frozen variety that has no sugar added. It was actually very good and had more flavor then the fresh blueberries as an example. Sometimes change can be a good thing. Thank you for using your expertise to point this out.

First Tipping: Like uktog, my DW and I have a lot of fun on the afternoon of the day before the last full day of our cruise. We have lunch, then return to our Suite, have a drink [and several times a bottle of champagne] and spend several hours discussing those members of the staff who have served us. We always give our tips in cash in the envelopes provided. We use the recommended amounts as our + or - base. We consider those staff members who have directly interacted with us, the basis of standard service and whether or not the crew member has made our cruise experience exceptional. As a result of our discussions and agreement, on several occasions, we have deducted from the our base [Our awful waiter and ass't waiter on Mercury come to mind], and in many instances have given more than the recommended amount. In several instances, we have given two times and in one instance three times the base to a crew member. [stanley our wonderful butler on Mercury, and John Morales our great butler on Infinity come to mind.

With that said, we have only tipped the ass't housekeeper once in 6 cruises, and that was our very first Celebrity cruise. My DW was having back problems as well as a fever of 102-103 degrees, with two trips to the medical center. Not only was our Butler Keith providing my DW with constant attention [and we feel guilty that we did not tip him enough since we were really cruising newbees :D], but the ass't housekeeper visited my DW in our suite several times and spent considerable time chatting with her as well as providing different pillows to make her comfortable. That attention and care clearly deserved a nice tip. Otherwise, if we don't see them, we don't tip them :D!

Food Issue: In reviews posted in threads her for our last three cruises, we have expressed our opinion that the quality of food on Celebrity has gone down hill [not the service]. We don't think that the above comments of Patval [Paul] should so quickly be brushed off, as he is a professional chef.

Perhaps, we should first experience the change coming with the new menus, and then pass judgment. We should also remember that the decline of the food quality on Celebrity has come on Roux's watch!

We just returned from Century and have to agree that the food quality has gone down..

We were told the changes to the menus would not be done to the end of the year, when Celebrity annouces it new "celebrity" chef. They are in the mist of deciding who it will be from 4 or 5 people. Until then M. Rowe's menus wil continue. Not sure if it was a Celebrity decision or if MR. Rowe had decide he wanted to open additional restaurants and could not spent the weeks on each ship every year that he usually does.

I wan to say thank to everyone who supported my statement and I appreciate not being flamed!:eek:

I can understand the chemical thing because yes something’s have a ton of chemicals in them and others don’t but I can say this a lot and I mean a lot of companies are making things more natural and organic without the chemicals.

I just thought of one product and I actually saw this on Food Network. There is a company that is making desserts without preservatives and using all natural ingredients. They make a chocolate soufflé and crème Brule product. It comes in the packaging that Swanson Chicken stock is coming in now and you just put it in an oven safe dish and cook it and they flame it with sugar if you like or not and the taste is awesome.

We also have to remember consistency is the big thing and you can not just buy the same stuff everywhere so the menu's could have different flavors because of Europe's lack's (not meaning bad) on pasteurizing so cheeses and milk will have a unique and more then likely richer taste. Wines are made without sulfites so you need to have pre made products that can be used all over the world and no one will say my sauce was salty and another says perfect on the other side of world on another Celebrity Cruise.

You know what I think Celebrity should do to put a huge blow to the industry???

Real fining dining restaurant menu's meaning menus are made by the Chef on board or by the Corporate Chef in the style of the area the cruise is cruising from. What I mean well Holland America on Alaska sailings has a devoted menu of fresh local seafood and fishes so on the Summit and Mercury Pacific Northwest cuisine. Constellation sailing Mediterranean well Mediterranean Fare for all the sailings.

Now this could work listen up Celebrity free ideas get them while they are hot!!!!

Celebrity can accomplish this because they have itineraries out a full 18 months in advance so they can get purveyors and suppliers in order and under contract to supply the ships the necessary items for the cuisines.

Paul

Paul, I grew up in the restaurant biz and my dad was also a chef. I love good food and love to cook as well:) so this is an interesting discussion.

Another reason I personally avoid prepared foods is that often the items added to make them taste good are often high in fat and sodium, two things I personally go very easy on in order to focus on being healthy and fit. Whether on a cruise or at a restaurant, I generally order my foods prepared without sauces or added fats and I always question my server about how it is prepared. If items are premade, it is more challenging to eat healthily.

One can really tell the difference in the quality of food items when they are not drowned in sauces, etc.

Hflors,

I am sorry to hear that Celebrity is going with many "pre-made" items. For the extra cost we are paying for our upcoming cruise hearing this change maybe we should have saved our money and gone RCCL!

One of my favorite things to do on the ship is try new and different dishes at dinner. Oh well we will see how it goes.

Please bear in mind that you are hearing pure speculation on the part of people who do not have authoritative information.

Celebrity has a cadre of chefs and line cooks who are accustomed to working with fresh ingredients. Working with frozen and packaged ingredients requires a completely different set of procedures with which these personnel are neither familiar nor proficient. Celebrity also has a cadre of loyal passengers who come for the line's cuisine and service. From a business perspective, it does not make sense to drive away a loyal following by making drastic changes that would adversely affect the quality of the product in a material way.

Celebrity also has stated very clearly that Michel Roux will continue to serve the line as a consultant for the foreseeable future. I doubt that he would continue, even in that capacity, if the line were planning changes that he deemed unacceptable.

Norm.

Anyone else notice that as cruises go on by the end of the cruise people are really rude? I was getting tired of people going off on the staff like they are someone special or something. It really irritated me. People can be so mean and impatient and these workers on the cruiseships work very very hard and they don't deserve to be spoken to in this way. A few times I finally had to step in and tell the rude people to be quiet---something that they couldn't say for themselves.

I noticed it with a lot of the people, but chalked it up to the passengers being disgruntled due to pod problems harming our itinerary. Are X passengers ALWAYS this rude even on a cruise that doesn't have major problems? Yikes! That's disconcerting...

We were told on our last Celebrity cruise that the decision was totally Michel Roux's and was based on the fact that he could not devote the time required with so many new vessels coming out. I also agree we should worry less about "what if's" and deal with the present.

Archived