"Special" clothes to pack for Antarctica

Nitemare

Great info, all! We will be on the Cloud next week and I still have no idea if the "borrow boots" (not rent) option might still be available. My husband has boots, but balks at packing them, and wants to take his chances on finding some to borrow. Has anyone been on the Cloud Expedition and discovered whether there are boots for stubborn people like him?

JP, thanks for mentioning that you hiked in your boots. I'd been wondering if people removed the rubber boots upon landing and changed into hiking shoes.

Yes I have seen stubborn boots.

DH has a large foot and that meant risking not finding a pair to borrow.

Begrudgingly they were packed.

Also did have hiking boots which I changed into after landing.

But that was on Alaska expedition.

In Arctic I wore my high boots.

Yes I have seen stubborn boots.

DH has a large foot and that meant risking not finding a pair to borrow.

Begrudgingly they were packed.

Also did have hiking boots which I changed into after landing.

But that was on Alaska expedition.

In Arctic I wore my high boots.

Thanks, Spinnaker. He wears a 9-10 so I'm guessing there might be some of those (for the stubborn).

It's hard to assess how much hiking will happen on the Greenland/Canada trip. It sounds like mostly easy walks, but maybe I'd better practice walking in my rubber boots.

Although I had a quality, thinsulate lined, knitted cap which I pulled down over my ears at home, out on the zodiac it kept sliding up a little. Leaving me with cold ears. I remember gazing at those wearing hats with ear flaps, with something approaching sinful covetousness.

So, I recommend a hat that has flaps to cover the ears. Plus a gator to pull up over your nose on the windy zodiac rides.

Sam great advice about hat and neck gator.

I have a ski hat that has ties and it stays securely on.

Neck gator just adds another warm layer.

And those mittens with fold over fingers and Velcro close are great for photos.

I also have waterproof gloves with waterproof liners

Holding on in the zodiac one may get wet

The more protection against water the better.

Thanks for the confirmation. Now how do *I* tell *her* I was right this time? ;)

We'll have parkas on when we go to the airport already, will have to figure out how to maneuver two each of them into the suitcase!

I would advise not bringing your own parkas. Wear your warm clothes and a light rain jacket and you will find your new parka on your bed in your cabin when you board. We were on the Cloud in February (Antarctica).

I did Seabourn’s Antarctica cruise and the one thing I wished I had brought was colored handkerchiefs (bandannas would work). When my nose is cold it runs. I hated pulling out a paper tissue from my parka pocket with my gloved hand and hoping it (or other white tissues) didn’t drop in the snow. A bright red bandanna to blow my nose with would have been easier to use AND if I dropped it, I would have seen it right away. My suggestion is to go to a dollar store and buy 2 or 3 bandannas to use as hankies!

Really interesting and helpful thread.......thanks to all.

We are booked on the November 11th Antarctica sailing, the first one of the next season, so it has an unusual one-off itinerary in that it starts from Punta Arenas then goes to Falklands then Antarctica and ends in Ushuaia. Because of the different start and end points, hiring any equipment isn't an option. And thinking of what and how we'll pack has been a challenge as we're planning to spend a couple of weeks around Santiago before the cruise so we need clothes for hot and cold weather!! And we're weight-restricted on the internal flights that we're doing before the cruise (and presumably on the one back to Santiago from Ushuaia which is being organised by SS but don't have any details yet!! But we will definitely need hiking boots and poles for our time in the Andes so packing is going to be interesting. We could look a bit odd boarding our flight!!

I'm counting on the SS parkas as we only plan on bringing lightweight waterproof jackets for the rest of the time. Multi-purpose layers and the washing machine onboard will hopefully sort out the rest of the packing!!

We'll be bringing our own muck boots. My husband has a new pair of the Arctic Ice ones and I have a mid-length pair of those which have great soles for the ice but not sure whether I really need to upgrade to longer ones (but that will be even more weight!!) Opinions seem to be mixed on whether or not mid-length boots are sufficient.

If there are any other folks following this who are booked on our cruise I'd be keen to hear from them. I did start a roll call but so far we seem to be alone - though the cruise seems to be almost fully sold!!

I would advise not bringing your own parkas. Wear your warm clothes and a light rain jacket and you will find your new parka on your bed in your cabin when you board. We were on the Cloud in February (Antarctica).

We did end up leaving mine at home (big and bulky) and I wore layers, but hers is the kind that somehow is warm and yet rolls up into nothing. Worked out great!

• 1 year later...
On 8/5/2017 at 11:19 AM, Nitemare said:

I know what SSeas recommends, but what's really needed? I think I should be expecting extended time periods with temperatures in the 20s to 30s, which is what I get at home every winter, so I know how to dress for that. I have pretty good waterproof boots, I expect to pick up some waterproof pants, and I've got every kind of layer for the rest of my body, including very warm gloves and hats and even a knit face covering hat. Will being in the Zodiac be so damp that I need waterproof upper clothing, too?

Do I really need Long Underwear? Special socks (or can I just wear two pairs of regular socks)? Anything else? Should I bring the Yaktrax I've had in a box for 5 years and never needed up here?

Hi Nitemare, do you end up needing yak trac and a pole? It’s exactly my question and I’m leaving for the silver cloud expedition in 2 days! Thank you! 

You certainly do not need more than Silverseas provides, other than hiring waterproof leggings , the parka  is sufficiently warm and waterproof. Two pairs of  socks is ample. Having shared a pair of walking sticks with my son last year, my advice is to take a pair each, as the slipperiness increases enormously with  each person.

In fact, if you're over sixty,  and  not in the first-half-dozen invitees, don't go ashore, as you're bound to fall over. Seriously, it's far too slippery, as SS does not help. I speak from the experience of a year  ago.

We decided that we aren't bothering with poles this time. Ours were ancient and they got tossed over the summer. But from our experience last time, they were more trouble than they were worth - for us. 

Hopefully we won't do too much slipping and sliding. But if we do, jenlin05 will hopefully catch us! See you there!

Edited by jpalbny

My wife and I took a set of poles for each of us, but we quickly found that one pole each was sufficient and less cumbersome.  Didn't need them all the time, but there were a few times when a pole came in handy.

Just got back on Dec 21.  

We purchased pants on Amazon for $30 and boots for $50 (Hisea was the brand).  Cheaper than renting and we could check the fit ahead of time.  DId not have/need poles, but if you have any balance issues take them but need the kind with a basket like ski poles.

2 pair of thermal socks is fine.  Had one pair of light long underwear and one heavier pair/fleece each.  I wore a wicking longsleeve shirt and a turtleneck.  On Zodiac tour and one day when cloudy & cooler added a fleece.  A fleece hat and neck gaiter were necessary, but also glad I had a hat with a wide brim to block the sun a couple of days.

can do laundry on board no problem, so don't need as many clothes.

Saw a few women wear dresses, but most wore slacks and even jeans with a nice sparkly sweater on "formal" nights.  Some men had sport coat and tie, but many  just wore a nice sweater.  Nice jeans were appropriate in dining room anytime.  Wish we hadn't packed the dressier clothes as we didn't wear.

We took Cards Against Humanity and played several times with great groups of folks.  There is a good library on board - leave what you finish and grap a new book on board.

The wifi worked well for email and surfing the internet, but I couldn't upload pictures to FB.  A friend paid for upgraded wifi and couldn't either.

let me know if any packing questions.

• Like 1