What is wrong with me? How do others do it?

PekingeseLady

There is a trick that I use for washing my clothes or at least my underclothes. My wife thinks that I am crazy but it works. I get into the shower with my dirty clothes on. I then soap up my clothes and rinse the soap off in the shower. Then I take off my clothes and do the real shower, You will find that considering the small size of the sink in your cabin and the fact that washing your clothes in the sink makes a mess in the bathroom, my way works better.

DON

I use packing cubes (not a cube shape, but rectangular with mesh on top and zipper on side) I got a Target for under $30. There are 3 sizes,(:Large, Medium and small) one for my tops, one for pants and one for undiesl. I rolled everything, and got all of my tops for a 15 day cruise in the Large. Takes up much smaller space.

I still can't understand how this saves any space.

You can only pack so much into a specific space- period.

No matter how it segregated into compartments. It's all about the volume.

Just because it's in a separate bag doesn't do a thing.

I know in theory it doesn’t make sense, but it does take up less room. I took large ziplock bags and did this recently. Amazing how much space it saves. I put undies in one, rolled tops in another, etc. Things don’t crease as much either. I felt much more organized as well. Try it with the extra large ziplock bags.

I know in theory it doesn’t make sense, but it does take up less room. I took large ziplock bags and did this recently. Amazing how much space it saves. I put undies in one, rolled tops in another, etc. Things don’t crease as much either. I felt much more organized as well. Try it with the extra large ziplock bags.

I believe that this is the biggest selling point. Other than that, it saves no room at all and if anything, it probably takes up more room with the additional cases.

I just learned years ago to pack only what is needed and nothing more.

There is a trick that I use for washing my clothes or at least my underclothes. My wife thinks that I am crazy but it works. I get into the shower with my dirty clothes on. I then soap up my clothes and rinse the soap off in the shower. Then I take off my clothes and do the real shower, You will find that considering the small size of the sink in your cabin and the fact that washing your clothes in the sink makes a mess in the bathroom, my way works better.

DON

My DH always suggests that....I prefer to use the laundry facilities! LOL!

It's the quickest way to dry a wet bathing suit.

We did that on our last MSC cruise since they don't have self-dryers. I didn't hang them out there while we were moving but I looped them around the chairs on the balcony.

Several years ago my husband made a list of what he actually wore for the week. That list stays in his suitcase and he sticks to it every time he packs. He takes considerably less than he use to. For women, it's all about clothing basics and lightweight accessories to give the outfits a different look.

Several years ago my husband made a list of what he actually wore for the week. That list stays in his suitcase and he sticks to it every time he packs. He takes considerably less than he use to. For women, it's all about clothing basics and lightweight accessories to give the outfits a different look.

While on vacation I don't like looking into the closet and saying this is all I have for today, I like options! So we overpack! never could understand how someone could do a 14 day cruise with just a carry on:eek:

While on vacation I don't like looking into the closet and saying this is all I have for today, I like options! So we overpack! never could understand how someone could do a 14 day cruise with just a carry on:eek:

I's actually pretty easy.

Rotate you choices daily, wash out dirty underwear each day, send in laundry for cleaning when necessary and most importantly not caring what others think of your clothing choices.

I's actually pretty easy.

Rotate you choices daily, wash out dirty underwear each day, send in laundry for cleaning when necessary and most importantly not caring what others think of your clothing choices.

Don't care what others think...but I care!

Another post was about less luggage. We do 34 days and took 3 large suitcases and 2 carryons and purse. We had an early flight going home, so the one bag, like new but didn't have 360 degress wheels, I gave away, it had all the toiletries in it. Doing walk off with just 2 carry ons and 2 suitcases. Worked good. I have been encouraged by everyone on this site. I am determined next year to take even less. I told hubby can't do it all at once, I will go in withdrawal!

You have to be ready to do it. After all these years. I am ready. I have to thank everyone on this site for all their help! By the way...this cruise, I was cutting back and left my husband's dress socks at home!!! by mistake of course....hahhahah he was soo mad and had to buy a pair for formal night!

I believe that this is the biggest selling point. Other than that, it saves no room at all and if anything, it probably takes up more room with the additional cases.

I just learned years ago to pack only what is needed and nothing more.

I agree, I bought them and don't use them anymore! they also add weight to the luggage! Rolling is the best way

It's the quickest way to dry a wet bathing suit.
It's also a way to lose a bathing suit. We found one on our balcony on our December cruise on the Regal. From the location of our cabin's balcony, we couldn't figure out where it came from. We gave it to our cabin steward. It turned out to belong to our next door neighbor.

It's also a way to lose a bathing suit. We found one on our balcony on our December cruise on the Regal. From the location of our cabin's balcony, we couldn't figure out where it came from. We gave it to our cabin steward. It turned out to belong to our next door neighbor.

I always clip mine to a hanger first & then hang it on the back of a chair.

I haven't lost one yet.

Probably the real advantage to a packing cube, especially slacks for a woman, is being able to quickly grab a pair without taking everything out of the suitcase if they are laid on the bottom. . I have used them mainly for my slacks and blouses. Undergarments can just as easily go into a zip lock bag. Shoes tucked in along the sides. I might use the small packing cube for charging cables, Night light. I weighed my suitcase once with clothes packed in Packing cubes and then without and there was very little difference.

I have used packing cubes on my last two land based trips. I loved them. I have four that are the same size, and they do not weigh hardly anything. they fit perfectly into my large suitcase and my carryon. I do not know how they do it, but I had a lot more space in my suitcase, therefore my clothes were not all crammed together and jumbled up when I got to my destination. I took the packing cubes out of the suitcase and put them directly in the drawers in my hotel room. Everything was organized and easy to get to during my entire vacations. I also used them to separate my dirty clothes from my clean clothes at the end of my vacation. I have a tendency to pack lighter than I used to, but I am by no means a minimalist packer. Some of my clothes I roll and put in the cube, and some of my clothes I fold and put into the cube. I will be cruising to Alaska in June. I will use my packing cubes. I do not think I will ever travel without them anymore.

Happy packing and happy travels!

I usually take one black suit and a dark sports jacket that I wear on the flight. The Back suit can become a tuxedo with the tux shirt, tie and links/buttons. You can mix and match the suit and jacket to make numerous outfits. Works for short or long cruises. No real need to bring a full tux.

The packing cells for me are primarily an organisational aide. You can separate people's belongings and split it up into different types of clothes - t-shirts in one cell, pants in another, socks and undies in one etc. That way when we get to our hotel or cruise stateroom, you pull all the packing cells out, put them directly in drawers/shelves, and stick the large suitcases under the bed. No need to rummage around in the suitcases, you know exactly what cell has what.

Any space savings you DO get are to do with the ease of compressing each individual cell, and are marginal at best.

The packing cells for me are primarily an organisational aide. You can separate people's belongings and split it up into different types of clothes - t-shirts in one cell, pants in another, socks and undies in one etc. That way when we get to our hotel or cruise stateroom, you pull all the packing cells out, put them directly in drawers/shelves, and stick the large suitcases under the bed. No need to rummage around in the suitcases, you know exactly what cell has what.

Any space savings you DO get are to do with the ease of compressing each individual cell, and are marginal at best.

I just can't appreciate stuffing things into separate bags since I don't over pack. All my shirts are neatly folded together on top of my 2 pair of pants & 3 pair of shorts. My few pair of underwear & 2 pair of socks are tucked into my 1 pair of shoes.

From looking at the overstuffed bags lining the hallways I can see why some people have to keep things separated. LO L :D:D

9k=

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSaTEPkRVOyM711DZ-NpJLTSKeO099jx94X657_Vf9Hz4SQpI9t

You never lose a bag when you travel with a carry on. You don't have to wait for ages in the baggage claim area to find that your baggage is the very last to show up, beaten and haggard.

With a carry on, you walk off the plane, head out the door and your leg is the first one the drug dog sniffs as you make your way to the taxi.(y)

I see people falling all over themselves trying to wheel out several large suitcases around. I wouldn't want to travel like that but that's just me.

For us, it's not a problem to wash out underwear and socks while taking the morning shower. Today's casual shirts for active wear are usually made from wicking material. They wash out easy and dry fast. It only takes a minute to wash these things and hung up, they dry quick. I've never been late for breakfast yet.:)

The bottom line is travel the way that makes you the most comfortable. Everybody's different.

Happy cruising.:)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Seriously, no matter what I do DH and I need a large suitcase each, and a garment bag for his dinner coat and shirts. How do some of you get away with a backpack and carry on? I need a carry on just for all my wine and soda!!!:p I thought for sure I could eliminate one suitcase for our upcoming 5day cruise, but no!:') I mean you need at least black flats for dinner, flip flops for pool, sandals with straps for beach walking. Windbreaker and sweaters for those chilly nights and mornings on deck. Two swimsuits so one can dry:cool:. Seriously how do you folks do it, carry on your one small bag only? Or one large bag for that matter:rolleyes::o Help me, please!!!

The truth is we do not want to do it... we still take at least 2 suite cases, 2 carry on's... I always take about 5 or 6 pair of heels, pool shoes, day walking shoes, slippers... we tend to do 10-15 day cruises. We also do a lot of cruises out of our home port, now, then we do not care at all. We take whatever we want. We enjoy dressing for dinner every night. For us there is no badge of honor taking less. When we first started traveling many years ago, we were allow up to 70 lbs per suitcase, with no fee... so we already cut back, LOL.