Penthouse dining

Queen of DaNile

My sister will be traveling solo in a Penthouse on an upcoming trip. She would like to invite the two of us traveling in a "lowly" veranda to dine in with her. Just throwing this out to the experienced O cruisers. OK, no, maybe? Thanks O aficionados.:confused:

In practice perhaps your butler may or may not object but the benefit is for those booked in that stateroom not invited others.

The PH is a very nice cabin but there is not room for 4 to dine in a PH. For example on the O-class the table at the foot of the bed is for two - no room for four. I'll add that the PH does have enough room to have guests visit for cocktail and snacks but not for a meal.

enjoy your cruise

Edited by YoHoHo

My sister will be traveling solo in a Penthouse on an upcoming trip. She would like to invite the two of us traveling in a "lowly" veranda to dine in with her. Just throwing this out to the experienced O cruisers. OK, no, maybe? Thanks O aficionados.:confused:

It's fine so long as your sister realizes that entertaining another couple will involve a great deal of extra work for her Butler (Bringing in a larger table and additional chairs for that evening as well as the setup and service of the meal itself).

She will want to give the Butler as much advance notice as is possible, and will probably want to know that most people who do this kind of serious entertaining in their Staterooms, tend to tip on that evening for that evening, rather than waiting until the end of the cruise (unless the Butler has served them often, before).

Understood but she (we) would not expect the butler to bring in extra equipment. We would be happy to use existing seating. We have enjoyed a PH previously on Insignia and thought there was sufficent seating. We are not looking for a formal experience - just the chance to enjoy good food in casual setting after a long day. Extra compensation to the Butler is a given.

Edited by Queen of DaNile

To each his own but I find even the ph too small for enjoyable in suite dining unless u like using the bed as a sideboard

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by pacheco18

We had an Oceania Suite, and the verandah was to small to have dinner on. Rick

Rick, you were in 11080, weren't you? We were there on another cruise and while we didn't dine out there it looked like there was plenty of room for four to have dinner. That deck is quite large. (I believe that the Deck 12 OCs have smaller decks than the two Deck 11 OCs.)

But maybe my memory is off.

My feeling (as I expressed earlier) was that having two guests inside would be tight whether in an OC or a PH ...

I agree that dinner in the Penthouse on the O ships (based on photos I've seen) would not be comfortable for four people.

Mura

Apparently age has clouded my memory but I thought we had very ample space when we dined in our Insignia Penthouse in 2005. Thanks for the input.

it is all relative

we could have had dinner on our regular balcony except the small table is not conducive to eating a meal on ...

No butler to serve us either :(

Apparently age has clouded my memory but I thought we had very ample space when we dined in our Insignia Penthouse in 2005. Thanks for the input.

I think that I can (somewhat) solve this mystery.

Not all R ship Penthouses are created equal.

We've only booked a Penthouse on the R ships twice, but thanks to the largess of Cruise Critic Buddies, we have been entertained in a good number of them.

b_211147.jpg

While those nearest the forward Elevator bank are large rectangular rooms (so much so that our first act on the ship was always to ask for a standard height dining table in addition to the coffee table) ,

penthouse.jpg

119133207495392.pngthe ones further aft are more irregularly shaped, and often seem quite snug.

Rick, you were in 11080, weren't you? We were there on another cruise and while we didn't dine out there it looked like there was plenty of room for four to have dinner. That deck is quite large. (I believe that the Deck 12 OCs have smaller decks than the two Deck 11 OCs.)

But maybe my memory is off.

Mura

Mura, no we were in 11083 and the chaise had to be side ways and the outside chairs that faced the back of the ship when seated you could touch the railing with your feet. No room for a table outside on the deck. But the table inside had a nice few of the ocean, had a few nice dinners in the cabin.

Rick

I think that I can (somewhat) solve this mystery.

Not all R ship Penthouses are created equal.

While those nearest the forward Elevator bank are large rectangular rooms (so much so that our first act on the ship was always to ask for a standard height dining table in addition to the coffee table) ,

Interesting.

What number cabins would these be?

Mura, no we were in 11083 and the chaise had to be side ways and the outside chairs that faced the back of the ship when seated you could touch the railing with your feet. No room for a table outside on the deck. But the table inside had a nice few of the ocean, had a few nice dinners in the cabin.

Rick

My impression is that 11080 and 11083 mirror images of each other but I was sure we had a table out there ... now you're making me wonder. We also only had dinner inside but it wasn't because we felt there wasn't enough room. If we had a jacuzzi I'm sure a table would have fit as well!

I took several photos from the veranda but they weren't of the veranda itself so they don't show its features.

Mura

At least that is my recollection. Have been in 11080 and 11083 and, to the best if my memory, the hot tub is on the side with one (?) chaise and there were two regular chairs with a small table looking at the wake. I don't think there was room enough for a dinner to be served. Inside, however, four people could comfortably eat a meal at the table. Sounds like a fact finding mission is a good excuse to book another cruise!

I disagree that six could eat there (unless they bring in a table top) but then again we (DH and myself) questioned whether four could really eat there. When the two of us dined en suite in the OC (11080) there was room for our food and us ... not more people. Definitely not 6. (It was the same in a VS but I imagine OC has plenty of room for extra diners.)

As to the deck space ... the Deck 11 OCs have less room inside (e.g., the second bathroom is a half bath, no shower). But more outside. The photos of the Deck 12 veranda is definitely smaller than what we had on Deck 11. On Deck 12 they wrap around so that in front of the living room you have the chairs and lounges (and as I recall a table but forgive me if I'm wrong). The jacuzzi was around the corner.

I will confess that my mind may be confusing the OC we had in November with the Vista we had in May! But I didn't feel that the Vista veranda was all that larger than the Deck 11 OC. It definitely is larger than the Deck 12 OCs.

But where do YOU want the space?

That's what really matters. I admit that I am still torn about booking an OC in the future. Do I want the Deck 12 location or the aft as aft can be Deck 11 location? DH would say Deck 12, but I'm torn.

Mura

Probably be real tight at the table but 2 more could easily eat here.

europe131130_zps675998fc.jpg

We might give it a try once on a family cruise - 2 people may have to "rough it" at the coffee table :D Then again, they may have more room than the people at the table :)